Worklog for kronholm

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

A bit further(Posted 2006-05-30)
Well had some more time to work on the game the last two weeks or so.

See below for screenshots.

* Reworked the controls and added gravity to the balls

* Widget classes with buttons and input fields, complete with coll. detection for when you click the mouse on/in them, and start typing

* New collisions, pixel perfect this time around. Can have about 18k balls moving before slowdown below 60fps

* Added new brick types

* Added color sliders for various colored bricks in the editor. Also added move-snapping, duplication, copy to clipboard/paste to clipboard.

* Made a better menu system + highscores

* Started messing around with network. The plan is to have a server running, which accepts connections from the game for uploading highscores and replays. Server has been written and successful encrypted connections done from the game, working beautifully. Now it's just a matter of making the sql, which is dead easy.

* Scratched the surface on replays and had some play back. Plan is for people to upload their replays alongside with their highscores. Initial testing showed replay of 2 minutes being about 100kb(unpacked).

A few old screenshots (although they don't show much, the graphics are just really quickly made placeholders. Once the mechanics are all set, I will take necessary time to make way better graphics)

-----------
Workstation: Win7 x64. Custom i7 860 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, Ati HD5770.
Laptop: Win7 x64. Dell XPS m1710 laptop, Core2Duo T7600G @3.16GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce Go 7950 GTX.
Happy licensee of BLIde.

First steps :9(Posted 2006-03-08)
Well I'm sure most people here are uninterested in my ramblings, but I thought it could help other beginners in some weird way.

Anyway, I've been working on and off on this arkanoid/breakout clone for a while now, about 40 hours tops. Keep in mind that I'm very inexperienced in the world of programming and such :)

Summary of what I've made so far:
* Collisions, pretty simple stuff mostly, but it works.
* Startup logo and gameover screen.
* Various powerups and a powerup-handling system. Made about 10 powerups so far. Speed up, speed down, ball size up, ball size down, multi/extraballs +3,+5,+9,+15.. multiply balls x2 and x3.. paddle stretch, paddle narrow, etc.
* Powerup handling system spawns all powerups and hides them "inside" of bricks when level is loaded. Also possibility to have them generated randomly, or user defined in the level
* Made some cheezy particle effects and explosions when bricks are killed. These will be improved mucho once I get to the polishing stage and actually focus on graphics :)
* Made a kind of sound system, to keep track of all channels playing and close them down automatically if they're not playing anything.
* Matrix mode when pushing RMB, causing everything to slow down to 1/10th speed, including music and sound
* Currently working on the editor, which is currently brought up by pressing 'e'. You can now drag bricks around, duplicate them by holding shift and dragging. Lots of work to be done here though, but it's fun :)

Future stuff I must do:
* More powerups; ball cannon, laser cannon, no-clipping balls, ball on fire causing bricks to detonate etc., lifesaver makes a boundary below the paddle which breaks on ball impact, extraball
* More "bummer"-ups. Reverse of powerups, stuff people don't want to pickup. Mirrormode, spawns an exact paddle copy, only it's mirrored.. mirrormode also for balls, should get confusing :)
* Small minigames such as a brick coming into the screen, and you have x seconds to hit it, granting a reward.
* Random powerups, akin to shuffling powerups from the SNES mariokart.

-----------
Workstation: Win7 x64. Custom i7 860 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, Ati HD5770.
Laptop: Win7 x64. Dell XPS m1710 laptop, Core2Duo T7600G @3.16GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce Go 7950 GTX.
Happy licensee of BLIde.