Worklog for Schragnasher

Simple Dungeon

Return to Worklogs

image(Posted 2008-02-14)
the main menu, just for kicks

fade in and out work, just snapshots the screen to do it. Perhaps there is a better way, but this should work for my uses.

events(Posted 2008-02-12)
so i decided to recode te buttons to use the event system, much more elegant and useful. also finished up the game state system and can easily switch states. working on some new interface elements now, selection boxes and spinners for character creation.

lots of GUI(Posted 2008-02-01)
Got my GUI elements in full swing, images, buttons and a fader to fade in and out screens. Im still not certain whether or not i have my buttons setup the best way, for now they simply call their own respective functions when they receive a click, not sure if trying to workout a event that triggers instead might actually be better as it will que up instead of taking control or things.

The story so far(Posted 2008-01-30)
So iv got alot moving right now, iv finished porting my dungeon generation, though not completely done, iv reworked it into something much simpler in the move to BMAX. Although i lost no abilities, only gained. Mostly making the maps tile based instead of simply making an array of chars. Now each tile can have properties, which will make LOS and other effects easier, such as secret walls and dark rooms. Iv working on my interface elements, i want a fullscreen game, so im having to code those from scratch, which has been challenging, and im nowhere near done. Simple buttons are difficult as i want to have odd shaped buttons which only click when select a colored part. Simple boxes would work out fine and easy, but i want more! Ill post screens later.

First post!(Posted 2008-01-30)
Ok so iv been working on this thing for a while, started it in blitz3D, found the language to be lacking in some areas so iv switched over to BlitzMAX. But since theres no native 3D support im making the game 2D first run through, a 3D conversion should be simple enough later on. The idea is simple, make a graphical roguelike. But, although im calling it Simple Dungeon, i want it to eventually be the most complex thing i can think up. Why? Because i want to :) Complex characters, skill use based system, no levels. Incredibly difficult yet very powerful magic system etc. So here i go.