Worklog for ziggy

Mod setup wizard

Return to Worklogs

first alpha starting to shape(Posted 2009-05-23)
I've been working in the pasts months on a module set-up creator utility for windows that works in the following way:

-The wizard is a EXE with integrated control over the UAC restrictions on Vista and Win7 RC1 (obviously it also works out of the box with XP and others)

-It provides a nice wizard to guide any user on the process of installing a moudle (or several modules)

-It prevents users from installing the module in a wrong folder

-It also has the ability to install documentation and samples in the proper folder, so users don't have any UAC problems when testing the modules.

-It can install modules in source code form, and perform a compilation from inside the wizard itself, so the distribution size for open source module is drastically smaller and requieres no user knowledge on how to install or compile a module.

-It can build the documentation from the module source code, so documentation can be leaved out of distribution as it'll be generated by the wizard itself, this also reduces drastically the size of the distributed module.

-It integrates a NRV compression algorithm in a very optimized way. A package of 85 megas (tested with Flod3D demo) is packaged in a setup wizard of only 7,8 megas, wich is a huge optimization.

-The wizard can optionally check for a propper installation of MinGW as a prerequisite of a module installation.

-The wizard can target exclusivelly a concrete BlitzMax compiler version, giving a warning in case the final module user is working with a different BlitzMax version.

First tests are very promising. I'll give more feedback as the work gets close to a first BETA.

This utility will be freely available to all BLIde Plus license holders.

Some pre-release screenshots of a sample wizard in action:

And a small picture of the setup creator utility:

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Manel Ibáñez ||| BLIde comunity ||| BLIde official Web Site ||| BLIde manual in PDF If you're using BLIde as your regular IDE for BlitzMax, please consider getting the BLIde Plus! version to support development. Visit my BLIde development Blog! and get the Open Source Sound3D module for minib3d

Dual 2 Core 2.8 (Windows 7) with ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 on a nice new Vaio :D