Worklog for ziggy

BLIde new engine 0.9.x

Return to Worklogs

Solution Explorer first snapshot(Posted 2007-10-24)
Today I've finished the first 'Solution Explorer' preview. that's great news becouse all this stuff has been built as a layer over the actual dependencies tree system, that makes all changes in a managed project automatically update the dependencies tree so, using managed projects, all intellisense and file dependencie relationship will be something not to care of. All the files are by default 'included' by the manager BMX file.

Here's a little snapshot of a BLIde managed version of the whole irrlitch engine, running full intellisense for all the pub, brl, irrlitch and some brucey modules at once, additionally managing all files, allowing user to move them from one folder to another, create and delete folders, rename files or folders, everything using the Solution explorer, like you would do in Visual Studio .net

The best news is that this is providing to work in a very consistant way, and dones't produce any additional LAG.

Here's a little snapshot:

There are some missing features in the snapshot, that I will be adding during next weeks. In some days, a beta testing phase will begin, all of you are invited to join, just send me an email (email on profile).

(by the way, this 'Refresh' button is about to disapear soon...)

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Manel Ibáñez ||| BLIde comunity ||| BLIde official Web Site ||| BLIde manual in PDF If you're using BLIde as your regular IDE for BlitzMax, please consider getting the BLIde Plus! version to support development. Visit my BLIde development Blog! and get the Open Source Sound3D module for minib3d

Dual 2 Core 2.8 (Windows 7) with ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 on a nice new Vaio :D

BLIde managed projects(Posted 2007-10-15)
Managed projects development for BLIde is being completelly rewriten. I'm creating a beta testers team for forthcoming beta versions, but beta testing phase will begin in a month or so. If you're interested on beta testing next BLIde versions, don't hesitate to send me an email (email on profile)

Currently I'm spending most of the little BLIde development time on low-level programing, trying to make things even faster and lightweight. Latest build (0.9.10 c) had some compatibility issues with 64 bits versions of Windows, wich have been fixed on 0.9.12 a. All of them were caused by a compatibility issue on the 64 bits version of the .net framework so I have had to work arround this bug. But finally it has been completely fixed.

Reflection syntax is also understood by the code analizer, so transition from BlitzMax 1.24 to 1.26 using BLIde has been, in most areas, instant.

The first steps on the beta-testing will be a design-discussion for the BLIde managed projects internal desing. All of you are wellcome to join the team.

Manel Ibáñez ||| BLIde comunity ||| BLIde official Web Site ||| BLIde manual in PDF If you're using BLIde as your regular IDE for BlitzMax, please consider getting the BLIde Plus! version to support development. Visit my BLIde development Blog! and get the Open Source Sound3D module for minib3d

Additional improvements soon(Posted 2007-09-18)
After making some tests, I've decided to addapt BLIde files management to the Microsoft directives so all BLIde user configuration and tmp files will be alocated in the documents area of the current BLIde user. This will solve a lot of problems with the (sometimes) problematic virtualization mechanism.

I encourage to everyone to store his or her projects also in the windows documents folder. We've got some reports of people that when editing the same file on different users acounts the changes on one account was not reflected in the other and vice-versa, so they were loosing changes. All of this drama caused by the 'not so clever' virtualization routines of Vista will be addressed following Microsoft directives.

This change will not affect modules development, so all advanced Blide for BlitzMax users developing modules may take care of the file permisions in the MOD folder "by hand". there's not much we can do there.

We're also introducing some minor improvements:

-Additional color / style options for the display matching braces mechanism in the BLIde text renderer

-Speciffic hilighting for BLIde directives, such as Region, Summary or bbdoc:

-General improvement of the 'mouse hoover' mechanism. Now the info window is being displayed in some unwanted situations.

-New SetUp engine for BLIde that will let you install REAL patches, making the patches update BLIde properly, so you don't have to uninstall and install again every time. Also, the patches will have a smaller size

-Some corrections on case normalization for some keywords.

-Some improvements in the error report mechanism when dealing with the BlitzMax BMK utility. BLIde will be able to report more detailed information in some situations when a bug happens at link time, at assembling time, or at non-bmx source code compile time.

Blide helps you get optimized code(Posted 2007-09-13)
Latest update 00.09.07 introduces several security fixes, one of them releated to some vista-issues. this latest update works well under .net 2.0 and better on .net 3.0 with dual core processors. Yes, I've got a new computer!

One of the things that I like most of this new update, is the fact the the results of the code analizer can be displayed directly in the code window.

snapshot.

You can see the waveline under the variable name, and the tip that appears when the mouse is placed and leaved over the buggy line of code.

This update also fixes some uggly and weird behaviour with intelliprompt autolists when using the backspace key. this has been solved to make it work exactly in the same way it works on Visual Studio IDE

In addition, I've discovered that, under vista, when you install a BLIde update, you have to set the file permissions for BLIde again (thay are not remembered by Vista). So all vista users, keep it on mind if you don't want to see BLIde waiting for ever when requesting for a speciffic file to the OS, unless you follow explicitly microsoft directives and store all the source code and executables on the 'documents' folder. Obviously if you're developing modules, you have to ignore Microsoft directives. :(

A part from this new version, we're having some progress on the new managed project mode. The managed project mode will be a new project management system that will deal with your project files and folders as you would do on windows explorer. You will be able to create new files from there (and them will be properly added to the project in a 'transparent way'), you will be able to move files, etc, without having to change a single include statement. In other words, this new mode will mimic in most ways the project management performed by applications like Visual Studio IDE.

This new mode will have the following specs:

-A main BMX file for each program (EXE, MOD, Plugin) will be generated by BLIde. This file won't be editable and will be used to manage all the import and include statements. So when you add / move / rename or delete any file from the Managed Project Explorer, this file will be also properly included in the project, exluded, renamed, etc. there will be no need to update the project tree any more!

-The other thing is that managed projects will be SUPERSTRICT or STRICT. bugy traditional relaxed code will not be supported as the STRICT or SUPERSTRICT directive will be hardcoded in the self-generated BMX file.

-Any application will have a FUNCTION MAIN() This function will be the starting point of the application. (anti-c coders are welcome to shout) This is absolutely needed becouse otherwise BLIde would have to provide a build order engine to prevent orphaned code from destroying your game logic when the included files are included in a different order (as a result of a file drag and drop in the managed project explorer, as instance).

Obviously, the current unmanaged projects will continue to be suported.

Suggestions are welcome.

:D

Better intellisense and more things.(Posted 2007-09-06)
Just spent the last week making some improvements to the BLIde internal intellisense API, and now the backspace character is also throwing context-based autolists with pre-entered text matching. This has been very complicated to make using the abstraction layer BLIde provides in its API. The good news is that the BLIde SDK will beneffit from this, as there will be a new GUI item able to hilite and fold BMX source code.

A first preliminar beta of this SDK is to come very soon.

Some additional improvements are that BLIde will now serialize the layout when a BLIde project is saved, so when the project is re-loaded, all the BLIde windows, panels and open documents will be exactly in the same state they where when the project was saved the last time.

As always, all this changes in the BLIde file format are back-wards compatible with previous versions.

There are also some improvements on the debuger and on the BPP interpreter that now works about 2 o 3 times faster in all the plug-in comunicactions, allowing a double threaded execution of plugins :D (dual core optimized, obviously).

We're also creating a new parser system, that will be able to read a language description from a intermediate file, and compile them at run time. This will let BLIde support additional file formats. The end user will be able to configure BLIde to support any language they know or create. This run-time generated parser will not be XML interpreted based, but compiled to bytecode executed by a real internal virtual machine.

Compiler directives and managed projects (solutions)(Posted 2007-08-26)
We've finished adding a speccific hilighting routine for compiler directives. This new hilighting will be available on the next BLIde version, with some additional fixes on the smart text formater, and some important fixed on the unicode / international support. Also some improvements to the debugging area will be available.

We're also working on a "managed project" mode, that will mimic the project management of Visual Studio. There's a lot of work to do in this area, as the project management of BlitzMax is superior to the Visual Studio project management. I still have to find a good way to diferenciate includes and imports in a reasonable easy way. In addition to the managed project explorer (solution explorer in visual studio). This new managed project explorer is a sort of mixture of the 'project files explorer' and the 'dependencies project tree'.

One of the things that will make all this process easier is that BLIde will generate a 'header' bmx file with all includes, imports and framework instructions automatically, so the final user will only have to deal with 'placing' the files in the desired locations and tell BLIde if those files are included or imported in the project.

It is still in a very early state, I'm dealing with an idea called 'import node' that could make things easier, especially when working with modules.

This managed project mode will be available on the free edition of BLIde, but will have some additional features in the Plus edition.

More info to come soon.

A bunch of updates(Posted 2007-08-18)
After a bunch of updates and patches, everything seems to be as stable as spected. Latests official version is QW 00.09.04 C
This version is a patch for previous versions (00.09.04, and 00.09.04 b) but as there seems to be some problems applying the patch on some windows distros, I've released a full version download, and it is available on the BLIde website. Now BLIde seems to run much faster, looks better, is better organized and uses less resources. It has some interesting new features such as the automatic text smart formating, and an improved Code Template engine.
There have been also some improvements on the BLIde debuger, and now it is able to handle bigger debuging sessions, as it is now able to make buffer 'pages' to solve the 4096 Kbytes limit of the Standard Error Stream on Windows. It also fixes some 'endianes' issues with the streamed debug data.
I've also updated a little bit some of the BLIde Skins to be more vista-like.
Additionally, there have been some fixes on the parser area.

RC2 version starting to look good(Posted 2007-07-27)
I've been making some fixes and additions to the RC2 version of BLIde. There have been several fixes and several improvements.

BLIde project files will remember wich tabs were opened and BLIde Plus will support PHP, INI, Assembler, Python, J#, Javascript, VB Script, Html, Xml, C, C++, LUA and many more file formats.

Compiler directives support will be back there (again), and a biger set of pre-made color schemes, including BlitzColors MAX, and BlitzColors B3D. There have been also some improvements to the BMX dedicated parser.

Latests fixes(Posted 2007-07-19)
I've been fixing a lot of little issues found on beta 0.9.1, on of the most important ones is that edit actions (cut, copy, past etc) were not working properly when a quick info tip was shown on screen. This bug, that could seem a simple one to fix, has been driving me crazy dealing with windows messages... arrrgs... but I've got it fixed and working like a charm for the RC 1 version.

There have also been some fixes on outlining. Especially the usage of hexadecimal numbers was not being understood by the parser, and the usage of the array operators were providing parser errors in some very strange occasions.

The parsing speed has also been improved a little bit more, and the color scheme definitor is 70% done, so I hope the RC1 will be out next week or so.

Ready for the BETA 2(Posted 2007-07-08)
-------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Second beta available here: http://www.blide.org/blide-0-9-1-beta.rar
-------------------------------------------------------------

We're working hand by hand with Andrev, one of the developers of Quantum Whale. He is helping us a lot in the construction of the new ultra fast BlitzMax parser.

The Alpha2 testing has been already ended, so the BETA2 is ready for public download. There are still 2 important issues that will be missing (compared to version 0.8.17 b):

There will not be the code split view functionality (this is being completely rewritten to add some interesting features)

There will not be the color scheeme and font editor available on version 0.8.17 b, becouse it is being also rewritten to support the whole set of parsers available for version 0.9.x (that is XML, HTML, C, C++ and LUA). The list of available parsers will be increased on future releases. We're working on a INI parser and a VBScript parser with folding. All this parsers will require a BLIde Plus license. BlitzMax parser will be, as always, completely free.

The preferences dialog is again 100% working, and this new BETA has been tested to be rock solid stable. we hope at the begining of next week, there will be a BETA 2 version available for public download.

Also the default welcome page has been redesigned to a more simple and IMHO better looking way. It also loads the news channel a lot faster making all the website access and download in a separated thread to 'fake' it is instant.

We're making also some changes to be ready to the new 'reflection' stuff, There's not public information about this yet (as Mark always keeps things in secret untill they are ready for consumption) but we're implementing some little improvements to intellisense that go in this direction. More information to come as soon as we have more public information about any BlitzMax language change/improvement.

There has been also a major update on the wizards, updating the wizard control to a new underlaying system that (in further versions) will conform the Vista Wizard specification. Now BLIde conforms the Wizard 97 specification by Microsoft. Also, all the drawings in the wizard control, have been updated to work with the GDI+ architecture, so they look a little better.

So, a lot of work, designed to make BLIde faster and more standard.

BLIDE 0.9.0 QW BETA 2 progress(Posted 2007-07-02)
After all the possitive feedback on the BETA 1 for the new BLIde core engine, we're working to fix some little issues:

1.- Code separators: code separators (those lines in a End Function or End Method keywords) were not properly updated when changing from one document to another. This has been already fixed for next update

2.-Project Dependencies Tree: Single click on the project dependencies tree was selecting the clicked item, that was causing that when a node in the tree was expanded, the document was automatically selected in the edit window. This has been solved to work in the same way it was working on version 0.8.17 b

3.- A new ultrafast mode will be available. This mode disables folding, but enables the edition of very big sourcecode files at nearly 0 CPU cost.

4.-Parenthesis matching hilighting is also performed in the next Beta version

5.- LUA support will be back there for all BLIde Plus users.

6.- There will be a Lock window mechanism that will prevent users to un-arrange the BLIde Layout by mistake

7.- The file being edited will be automatically chosen in the local shortcuts tree to make navigation throug source code easier.

8.- Additionaly C++, C, XML and HTML hilighting will be enabled on next BLIde BETA

9.- There will be a new Window menu, with a list of all the opened documents (selectable) and some visualization options, like 'new horizontal tab group' or 'new vertical tab group' like in visual studio 2005. There will be also an 'auto hide all windows' mechanism.

We're still working in the preferences dialog, and as soon as it is updated, the BETA 2 will be released.

BLIDE QW 0.9.0 BETA 1 Available(Posted 2007-06-29)
There a first BETA version of BLIde 0.9.0 with the new BMX dedicated parser available for download. This version has not 100% of the functionalities found on version 0.8.17b (current official stable release).
Restrictions:
-Preferences dialog: some preferences are ignored by the new parser, this will be done in the BETA 2 version.

-Define editor colors and fonts: This section is being completly re-written, and it is not yet available. If you open it, you'll get a wonderful crash. Don't report it, it is a known issue we're fixing now.

-Split Views: Intellisense is only present on the main split view.

-Ctrl+Space is not suported yet. It is being rewritten to support some additional features.

-BLIde Plus is not suported. There will be a major BLIde Plus update soon with new security fixes and additional features

Diferences:
-There are some (very little) missing keywords such as DebugStop, and compiler directives such as ?Win32, ?MacOs, etc. Them willbe added on the BETA 2

-There is support for C++, C, HTML and XML files (this support is now available for beta-testing, but it will be restricted to BLIde Plus users). LUA is not yet supported in this first BETA

-Folding regions are updated on a separated thread, this can introduce some little delay updating folding regions. Nothing important once you get used to it, and it provides a huge parsing speed improvement.

-New Print options, much more complete including page size and printing options dialog.

-If sentences have folding, even on single line Ifs

-Using complete modules hilighting doesn't introduce any performance hit :D

You can download the beta here:

server: ftp.blide.org
username: scy4250
password: beta

This BETA is not a set-up ready application, so it can be runned without installing, just directly from the unzipped folder. To run it, click on the file BLIde.exe

The first time you run the beta, it will tell you that the BLIde database is corrupted, so BLIde will restart and fix it automatically. That ok, becouse there's no database supplied with this BETA version. Don't report it as a bug, please.

It would be great to have feedback regarding usability and parsing speed, in addition to any BUG you get. Remember that as a BETA version it is recomended to try it using copies of your source code.

There will be a second beta ASAP with some of the missing features implemented, and a optimized project loading algorithm that loads projects about 3 times faster.

BLIde 0.9.x first impressions(Posted 2007-06-22)
The integration of the NEW API is being very complicated, but it is revealing a huge performance improvement. Project loading time is the same as current version, but parsing speed is ultra faster, and CPU usage while real-time parsing text has been 83% reduced in my computer. The good news is that the Stand Alone Parser has the same speed when used on BLIde with full intellisense.

There are some little issues, such as folding working in a different way, it is very compatible with current BLIde official version, but it has some display diferences.

The ultra good news are that this version will have a dedicated parser for HTML and XML (with folding), and a hiliter parser for C, C++ and Assembler (BLIde Plus requiered).

There have been some security issues with the BLIde Plus Registration, that forces us to send a new username and activation code to all BLIde Plus users. All BLIde Plus users will get also an external executable activation file. We're sorry for this issue.

Future BLIde versions(Posted 2007-06-19)
From now, there will be only maintenance updates on 0.8.x versions of BLIde. We're working on version 0.9.x with the new Quantum Whale parser.
We've started the integration of the finished new parser to the BLIde internal API. I'll let you know when the first alha version is available, but it seems the new parser is about 15 times faster than the current one, based on Actipro technology. The strong point of this new parser is that it is a completly hardcoded dedicated parser for the BlitzMax syntax.

As soon as we get a working Alpha version, we'll provide download links for all interested users.