Worklog for Chroma

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Secret(Posted 2006-07-09)
My next project for my new game is to get a very realistic and low overhead lens flare up and running. That's my project over the next week, along with getting a basic level loader working. I'm keeping my load light atm while the main character for my game is being finished up.

My demo level is going to be a wooded area up in Alaska. So I have to do some research about the foilage and wildlife maybe up in Kenai. Google Earth should come in handy also for the basic map design.

Sorry for being so vague but I'm keeping this under wraps for another month or so.

[Core2D][Sprite][MaxVerlet]

Environment(Posted 2006-06-13)
I started a new project a few days ago. Been working on the environment basics over the past few days.

I downloaded Terragen and made a new skybox. I'm going for the most realistic look possible. Terragen just rocks imo.

As for water, I stumbled across a way to make a ordinary plane look like it has light bouncing off the tops of waves. The built in mipmapping really enhances this by only letting the whitecaps be shown as you approach. Therefore the whitecaps disappear as you get farther away. It's very convincing.

Next on my list is terrain. I see all these stupendous terrain editors but all I really need to do it just figure out how to apply shadow and detail maps to a terrain in the correct manner. If I can get that done, then I'll post a new pic here maybe today.

BTW, I am looking for some low poly modelers that would like to showcase their low poly modeling (needs to be realistic looking as possible). If you have something to contribute plz email me at chroma_72@...

Models I'm looking for:
-tree stumps
-rocks
-hay bale
-dead tree
-animals (bear, otter, deer, rat)
-barn
-power pole/lines (wooden)
-grain silo
-old tractor
-pick-up truck
-humanoid model

XNet Multiplayer Module(Posted 2004-12-01)
I did some preliminary testing today on Blitz's maximum packet speed. Seems about the fastest you can send/receive packets is approximately your monitor's refresh rate based on your cpu speed. I'll be testing packet speeds between here and Florida later tonight. It will give me a good idea of the max number of players blitz can handle under normal packet loads. I don't want to speculate at this point, that's what the testing is for. I'm sure any difficulties can be overcome with good ol' prediction routines.

I'm VERY happy with how clean the vector library is at this point. It will make the physics engine that much easier to get off the ground. I changed the function names around so now it's much easier to use.

Back to the GRIND!(Posted 2004-12-01)
Hiatus = over. I stayed up late last night coding a UDP multiplayer library. Since I'm not able to find the XNet module I was working on 2 years ago (which is probably outdated by now along with every other multiplayer code from that era), I'm starting XNet from scratch using the latest techniques and whatnot. XNet will be available through shareit.com in the very near future for a modest price. It will embody the latest cutting edge multiplayer techniques coupled with the smallest packets ever. Say it with me "The fastest Multiplayer library ever!".

The next library will be a complete physics engine similar to Tokamak or Havok. Wrappers are great and everthing but there is a need for a native physics engine for blitz and so far no one has stepped up to the challenge. Plus, I will be needing one for my future games. This will also be available on shareit.com when completed.

The third library I'll be coding will be a completely customizable game menu system. This library will allow you to construct full menu screens with highly advanced features.

Libraries under construction:
1. Ultra High Speed UDP Multiplayer Library
2. Blitz Physics Engine
3. Game Menu System

Each library will be available separately and as a package deal (all 3) for a special bundled price.

Now as I crank up the coffee pot and pull out the pringles...gimme some room cause I'm a crazy coding obsessed maniac!

Back in Business(Posted 2004-08-02)
I'm unofficially back to coding after a long break (finishing up college). So with degree in hand, I'm ready to get back to what I love to do most: program things I don't understand! =D

I think at this point to say that my flight sim will be based on WWII is a little premature. How about I get the basica flight physics finished first. I've been modeling an F-100 Super Saber (a favorite of mine). But since Third Wire released Strike Fighters recently, I'll probably go with the fictional WWII scenario.

At this point, the flight engine is in it's infancy. Gravity is completely done (oh that was a hard one =P). Lift and Weight calculations are done and the aircraft actually lifts off the ground in a realistic fashion. Now to tackle rotation forces. That's what's tripping me up at the moment. I've just ordered 2 new physics books that will hopefully take the mystery out of angular forces, moments, inertia, etc. It's not like bouncing a cube off a wall...trust me. It's much harder.

I figure once i have the basic flight code done, I can have the other aspects completed very quickly. The terrain system was completed 2 years ago and probably just needs a look over and some tweaking. Same with the sky/weather system.

The vector library I posted in the archives helps immensely. I also have a fully working quaternion and matrix library that I plan to post soon.

Air War 1946(Posted 2003-02-06)
I'm currently working on the Pilot Manager. I'm including RPG elements in a sense that a player creates a pilot and assumes his role. Players are awarded experience per airplane or ground object destroyed based on a number of criteria. This ensures that a General will get little or no XP for shooting down a 2Lt.
At this moment I'm creating a few different GUI's. Yeah, I'm on a GUI kick at the moment since I'm just finishing up the launcher too. I have the LaunchGUI, the GameMenuSystem, and another GUI I'm working on. I'll probably be updating the Game Menu System that I have on BlitzCoder in the next couple of weeks with some minor upgrades.

Work on Air War 1946 is steady. There's just a lot to do. Some things that I've been working on that look promising are the flak cannon system, a highly optimised particle system, and the Pilot Manager.

A demo? hmmm...not till I'm satisfied (as usual). :)

Terrain System Optimizing(Posted 2002-11-23)
I have the core terrain system done and I'm very happy with the performance. Now I'm optimizing it but I'm sure I won't see a speed increase since I have a Geforce 4. Anyways, I just calculated that in order to make a box spin inside a box you have to reduce the inside box to .69 scale of the original box. Now I just have to come up with a formula to not show the corner terrains since the inside horizon box can never reach to the terrain corners. That and scrapping any redundant calculations should be it for the terrain. Woot!

Luftwaffe Ace(Posted 2002-11-13)
I've done some soul searching and came to the conclusion that rendering one HUGE terrain is both assinine and idiotic. So, I've created a mesh based terrain system that renders the current terrain the player is in plus 8 surrounding terrains. I've also coupled with this an object system that only shows objects if the terrain they reside on is visible...and to top that off I've added a custom EntityFade system (courtesy of Floyd) that fades in those objects on the specific terrain according to a specified range. Yes...it needs more work but I'm quite happy with all these new methods.

The one huge terrain seemed wasteful and getting good detail was proving very difficult. Especially when the area of terrain you're trying to display is oh say...500 square miles.

Adios,

Sound Engine(Posted 2002-10-09)
I've started preliminary work on the sound engine. Mostly it's for the radio chatter which can at times, become quite complex. Especially when you have a bunch of .wavs you need to tie together to make a coherent sentence. Say for instance you want to call your air control and request the heading for your next waypoint or back to base. The sound engine will take the input from your request, match up the appropriate .wavs and play them in order....ie...first it would play "Turn to heading"...then play "2"..."0"...4". Not that complicated but quite interesting to code.

Gun System Update(Posted 2002-10-06)
Started working out a realistic gun management system. Each gun is created, placed, and "loaded" with a pool of bullets that are destroyed upon impact. It seems coding the guns to imitate a real life gun works out the best! No creating or copying bullets as they fire (which does have a hit on frames somewhat).

Weapon(Posted 2002-10-05)
I've just created a new weapons system that handles the rockets, missiles, and bombs separately from the cannons and guns. Rockets, missiles, and bombs are created first by creating a pylon(bomb and missile) or a rack (rockets) and then "loading" the pylon or rack with the weapons. The info for each weapon is stored in it's pylon or station type. This makes for maximum versatility and lets the Armament screen load the plane with ease.

I've also implemented a Fire Mode...as in "do i want to fire the rockets one at a time or fire all 24...pickle off one bomb or all.

The R4M rockets (unguided) could fit 12 to a rack with a total of 24 rockets (some planes could hold 4 racks for a total of 48 rockets!). Firing all 24 or 48 at once into a formation of B-17's was almost instant death to the bombers. I am recreating that effect here.

Luftwaffe(Posted 2002-10-05)
I've gone back to redesigning the weapons systems. They need to be much more dynamic than I had originally envisioned. Each gun or station will be a separate object that will control itself based on it's "class". Say you press the trigger on the joystick...all weapons that are class 1 type will fire off. This means you can LINK guns and cannons to fire simultaneously. The trigger will natively control guns and button 2 will control the selected weapon which can be cycled between cannons, rockets, missiles(yes, the germans had an air to air missle called the X4 on the drawing board!), and bombs. Then by pressing a LINK key, it will automatically switch the cannons to class 1 (guns are class 1). Normally, guns are class 1, cannons 2, rockets 3, missiles 4, and bombs 5.

Aside from working out the new, more complex weapons platforms, I've been modeling new aircraft which will bring the total number of flyable aircraft to 8. Here's a list of them:

1. Me-262
2. Me-163
3. Ta-183
4. He-162
5. Me-1092/2
6. Ho-229
7. Ef-128
8. Ba-349

The list may be cut by a few but the main website ( that's being worked on now), will have an aircraft download list so players who make their own planes can upload them (after I inspect them loosely just to ensure compatability). I'll also be adding more planes for download myself. Those will be more exotic (triebflugel for instance).

Back to work I go...

WarTanks Airstrafing(Posted 2002-07-20)
I'm feeling a bit better and added powerups and a new airstrike powerup. It's the same as airstrike bombing except the plane strafes with it's guns.

WarTanks Update(Posted 2002-07-08)
Mustang has finished up the JagdPanther and it makes a nice addition to the game. We also have a Tiger II, Abrams, and FlammPanzer being finished up. That will bring us up to 7 playable tanks. The powerups system, airstrikes, and 3d sound have been completed by Jay. I'm heading up effects and the editor at this point. Hopefully we have a system that will let players add their own custom tanks. The only stipulation is that they have to be built a certain way with certain named objects. Such as barrel, turret, body, ltrack, and rtrack. In the near future we have to work out the damage system and finish up the huds. Can't make any promises on an online test because you know how it goes. Gotta get everything tightened up and don't wanna rush just to get a test out there. Cheers!

WarTanks(Posted 2002-07-06)
Just got airstrikes into the game. The handiwork of Jay Mattis. He's our new team member coder. Looks darn sweet too! :)

Our completion is around Oct 23rd and it looks very promising. We also just put up some new screenshots at www.X-FactorStudios.com so head over and check em out.

We're may have to push back the online alpha test a bit while we work out a few more things. Here's to the future! Cheers!

WarTanks Online is taking shape.(Posted 2002-06-22)
We've been working this game daily preparing it for an online test. I'm quite pleased with how it's going at this point. Tanks hug the terrain without using linepick. Hopefully if things keep going like they are it won't be too much longer for an alpha.

This has been the "secret" project. Big secret huh? Our goal it to go big and get Blitz some publicity too.

Secret Blitz3D Project(Posted 2002-05-29)
Yep. It's secret and hopefully will help garner blitz it much deserved publicity!

X-Factor Studio's Game going well...(Posted 2002-03-12)
Our small team working hard on our latest project. Here's a pic of the editor and an in-game shot. We're about 5 months from completion and have a couple of publishers interested. Keep it real!

TCP research....(Posted 2002-03-03)
After much mucking about, I've learned that the hangup with TCP is the ReadLine command. So I'm melding together many different snippets and examples to produce my server/client.

I finally have a reason to learn Banks. Took me about 15 min.

Anyways...X-Factor Studios is trucking along on the tentatively entitled "Invaders". To check out the website go here:
X-Factor Studios

Ogre's Crown is officially shelved until development on "Invaders" is complete. Morduun, if you're out there...got any new tunes? :)

Squash that bug!(Posted 2001-12-22)
The Ogre's Crown is coming along nicely. Morduun was nice enough to point out a horrendous bug that lets you duplicate items just like in Diablo. For the record, that bug is squashed. So no having 5 Orbs of Burning Hell anymore. Muhahaha!!

I've just added 35 different types of weapons, 7 types of armor, gauntlets, 3 types of helms, and 4 types of shields.

Next I'll be adding in the 40 or so monsters you get to slay (or be slain by!).

Bit's o' Blood and Lightning Bolts....(Posted 2001-12-17)
I started tinkering with a random dungeon generator and had some good results but when I compared them to a hand made dungeon in the editor...let's just say the ones I make are more strategically built. So I'm opting for making each dungeon myself in the editor. Seems to me that this should make the game more challenging. I guess we'll find out.

T&T: The Ogre's Crown(Posted 2001-12-15)
Been working on this one for awhile now. Movement, combat, monster ai, inventory, and one spell is done. The level editor is about 80% done. I just need to add more graphics and content. Contemplating whether or not to put in multiplayer. Could be neat since there's a world map where you move long distances to each dungeon or city/town.
I'm not posting screenshots for about another 2 weeks. I should have a full demo ready by then.