Worklog for Bot Builder

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Verlet(Posted 2003-08-23)
I've been working on a verlet physics system. Very similar to Miracles Verlet lib, which has been signifigntly modified by dmc. Anyway, I've been mostly posting in the forums, but I decided, why clog the forums with project updates? That's what these worklogs are for. I'll probably put a post in the "Advanced 3d" forum if I have anything cool from verlet physics. anyway, here's what I have done so far:(chronological order)

1)Basic verlet integration
2)Gravity
3)Air friction (multiply speed by .999 hehe)
4)Line constraints
5)Structure and entity hierarchy system
6)Cube generation Function(in demo)
7)String generation Function(in demo)
8)changed integration scheme for efficiency,flexibility(slow mo), and time-based updates(instead of tick based)
9)Preleminary collisions
10)Collisions hierchy created for a hopefully massive speedup
10)Cloth generation Function(in demo)
11)Slow, bad gel generation Function(in demo)
12)Perfection of basic quad axis-aligned collisions
13)prelimanary cylinder and box collisions
14)extremly preliminary friction on quads pretty smooth though.
15)Revision 3 started. should have more options per structure/entity

I've been working on this for a couple of months, but with a low frequency of actually working on it. I haven't been paying enough attention to my blitz projects. I got a ton I'd like to do: My main game, Verlet physics, some evolving neural network equipped AIs, a small classic 2d fire program, and various projects with 0 lines written, and are still in the thought process. Okay enough about all that. If you wan't to see the code/ a demo, check out the "Advanced 3d forums, and lookup a verlet-related topic. If I haven't posted my code, ask for it on the topic.

Here's what's still to be done. *s are by the things I'm considering implementing but not neccessarily.

1)implementation of current friction scheme on all collision enitties
2)Creation of more collision entities
3)perfection and implementation of friction on all collision entities. including rest friction and active friction differention.
4)creation of collision pivots for non-axis alinged fast collisions
5)Creation of anti-collision entities(like the carve operation in maplet, only realtime, and for collisions)
6)Collison editer for applying collision entities and anti-collision entities to a model.
7)Verlet position/mass Editer
8*)Evolve Verlets and constraints function in editor
9*)Aerodynamics implimintation. Global wind, and local wind. Might pay attention to obstructions in a similar way to the way Halo's singularity sound fx work.
10*)Use of any mathamatical function as a collision object. this includes splines, bezier patches, and many more.

Once I get a website I'll put up some dl links, as well as pictures.

XP SP2, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB HyperX RAM, Radeon X700 Pro (PCI-e), 120GB SATA drive :)