Worklog for Yappy

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

XLnt Input(Posted 2003-10-09)
been away from the code for a while :( but came back to it with a vengence!

ripped out all the old input code (it WAS crap) - and replaced it with new stuff.

as you can see - XLnt ii now has text selection with copy & paste to follow soon. I don't use userlibs or DLLs so i'm thinking along the lines of an interanl ClipBoard$ string - so you can do what you want with the copied text.

stay tuned

Cheers, Yappy

"That would be an ecumenical matter"

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt Lists :)(Posted 2003-09-23)
just a pic of the new XLnt ii list additions .....

registered users will be getting this pretty soon ;)

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt II v1.1(Posted 2003-09-21)
XLnt II GUI v1.1 will be available for non-registered release soon. There was an annoying bug in v1.0 so this update was called for :)

Registered users will have v1.2 to play with - added a few more things including a window resize tab, a couple of "quirks" fixed AND..... Input, Integer and Float gadgets attached to list items - they work and look great !! ;)

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt(Posted 2003-05-21)
..just to show off the new Tab Gadgets (and toolbars and expandable panels et al )

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt ii(Posted 2003-05-13)
things are progressing well this week...

added Menus, Quick (RMB) Menus, Gadget attached menus, horizontal and vertical scrollable taskbars (can have differnt gadgets attached - not just icons ;) and 3DS Max stylee Expandable Gadget Panels.....

here's a boring pic anyway ;)

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

3D Gadget.....(Posted 2003-02-26)
....is done

as are text lists :)

soon be time for the dreaded text-input code :(

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt ii Menus(Posted 2003-02-23)
XLnt ii is still in development, and here's the latest screenshot to prove it....

getting close to a demo release...so stay tooned.

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

2D LiteMapper(Posted 2003-02-14)
got a bit bored this week so i dug out my old 2D litemapping code....

....its been interesting o do, so I'm thinking of turning it into a map editor.

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

early XLnt ii screens(Posted 2002-11-24)
just uploaded some very early XLnt ii screenshots. Not much at the moment but they do show the general scheme.

take a look....

....here

there's also the source for my old raycasting engine on there too ;)

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

3d snake(Posted 2002-09-09)
heh look - 3d snake, how original :P

nice tho ;)

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

ez zoom(Posted 2002-08-31)
hmm - tok lomger than expected but I finally got the zoom function working - take a look :

it has a variable ratio - from x2 to x32 and works pretty quickly. Now I can start using it for some GFX work.

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

Ez Fill(Posted 2002-08-23)
just got the gradient and brush flood-fill finished - only took half an hour :)

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

ez-fx(Posted 2002-08-20)
finished all the UI and drawing functions, now its onto the Zoom code :(

added an Options window at the bottom of the screen for tool variables - works well :)

i'll try and get a demo out as soon as poss.

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

EZ-Fx Image Compression(Posted 2002-08-12)
Hmmm - been working on my little paint package (EZ-FX) and I must say its coming along very nicely :)

I got a bit side-tracked today, with a new lossless image-compression algo. that came to me late last night. I was thinking about incorperating the apps GFX into the program and this came to me in a flash :)

Its not perfect by any means and only works well in 16 bit mode (do to less colors) - but compared to standard .BMPs it stands up very well. I get about 40-50% compression on average bitmaps - but with bmps with large areas of the same color this has jumped to 95% (LOSSLESS) !! (and gone down to 10% with complicated pictures).

I haven't even used proper compression yet! This is just the file-format which is saving the space! I'm not really aiming for a very compressed format - as long as its as good as standard bmps then I'm happy.

Will release an EZ-Fx demo as soon as possible - stay tuned :)

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

EZ-Fx is reborn!(Posted 2002-07-22)
Picture the scene - I've made a spiffy paint package called EZ-Fx, I've added loads of new stuff, and I'm using it as a development tool. Suddenly Disaster strike! My HD went and got wiped!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!

So, after alot of cursing and face-pulling I've decided to bite the bullet and start again! Let this be a lesson to you all - KEEP BACK-UPS!!!

Just adding the finishing touches to the basic UI (see below) then its onto the fun stuff :)

Got a few neat ideas in the pipe-line...so onward and upward!

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt Expandables (ooh-er!)(Posted 2002-07-02)
As I've got a bug fix sitting on the shelf ready to be released (thanks for spotting the bug Darth_Pingu! ) I thought I'd add something extra to it to make it worth while - so I've started on this little beauty....

very useful and much requested!

At the moment you just pass basic strings to it t add the various parts - thats it! See the code below....

GUI_ADD_DIR(LST,"Files")
GUI_ADD_DIR(LST,"Windows")
GUI_ADD_DIR(LST,"Sub 1","Files")
GUI_ADD_DIR(LST,"Sub 2","Files")
GUI_ADD_ITM(LST,"Item","Sub 1")
GUI_ADD_DIR(LST,"Work")
GUI_ADD_DIR(LST,"Sub Sub","Sub 1")
GUI_ADD_ITM(LST,"Sub Item","Sub Sub")

just gotta add scrolling, then a couple of feed-back functions then it'll be ready for release!

tell me wot ya think!

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt Help(Posted 2002-06-13)
Currently re-vamping the out of date XLnt-Guide. I didn't realise how big a job this was, but it had to be done. Expect a new release complete with new user guide as soon as this is finished (2 days at the most).

Oh - finally got round to writing some examples too ;)

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

thank God for web space!(Posted 2002-06-09)
after an freak hard-disk wiping incident last week i thought i'd lost all my xlnt (and other) files! but fear not - after digging around on my web space i found some older source files - yippee!

these were old files tho, so i've set about doing some improvements:

* added window image gfx - useful for splash screen.
* improved internal gadget/slider handling.
* added a few more options to the editor - 3 different code outputs, screen grabber, and image button/switch image loading.
* finally (hopefully?) nailed the editor save file format.
* fixed a couple of bugs

heres a pic...

update out soon....(probably :) )

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

deleted(Posted 2002-04-19)
deleted

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

Another XLnt Update(Posted 2002-04-02)
ok, yet another XLnt-GUI update

Added Skins, mousewheels, Keylock, and 3d view determination (oooooh)

couldn`t put it on the showcase for some reason (?)

so....

...here it is

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt Skinz(Posted 2002-03-31)
Whoopee dooo!

XLnt-GUI now has Skins!!

It looks mighty purty - with 2 bmps allowed per window. One for the window and a different one (optional) for the gadgets...take a look-see. Also, the skins are fully 3D-looking, with shading and everything - nice :)

Will be released soon - also re-written the window handling code to remove some bugs and some excess code - it now runs 50% faster!

Crap screen-shot

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt-GUI(Posted 2002-03-23)
well....seeing as the release of XLnt-3D went pretty smoothly (not 1 3D bug reported!) i`ve been messing about with the 2D side of things...

- added simple Mouse-Wheel support for sliders, intboxes, etc - pretty late in coming, but i only got my WheelMouse last week.

- fixed some quirks with intboxes and linked gadgets.

- int and float boxes now return a Gad-Hit Event$

my main area of progress this week has been with XLnt-Ed, the soon to be released Editor. Its coming along very nicely so expect some sort of release quite soon....

also toying with the idea of HTML support - but it would make the source feckin huge! so who knows :)

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt-3D Released(Posted 2002-03-19)
Finally released XLnt-3D

Its on the showcase if you want it...

Here

Enjoy!

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

EZ-Fx and XLnt-GUI(Posted 2002-03-02)
If you didn't know, my current project is EZ-Fx - an easy to use Paint Package, and By Gum, things are going swimmingly (for once) :)

I`ve improved the zoom function - its now got a bigger area (400*400) and its faster! And i`ve nailed a tiny little bug which made the demo crash like a one winged duck. I`ve also added Triangular Brush cutting - it was going to be full multi-edged polygon cutting but thats too difficult - hehehe :)

Also, a funny thing happened during development - I realised that the XLnt-GUI menu system was utter shite :P So i`ve changed it! Normal Menu access is much, much better. So expect a new release of XLnt soon.

Oh - talking of XLnt, i`ve also added a couple of other things, including improved BackGround Image control, and a GroupHit return variable - useful to some (trust me)

New demo soon....

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

my God! is that a Demo?(Posted 2002-02-27)
EZ-Fx is Born!

here u go, u lucky, lucky people. A very very very early WIP demo of things to come.....

DemoTastic

plz tell me wot ya think

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

useful?(Posted 2002-02-25)
about 10 hours down the line and this paint thingy is looking quite good...

the reason i started this project is the same reason i started XLnt (all thoses moons ago)...basically, i loved DPaint on the miggy, and even tho there are excellent paint packages on the PC, I have never felt comfortable with them...so i decided to write my own :)

oh - and it would be a bloody good advert for XLnt-GUI :P

added all of the following...

8 default brushes
"dot" draw
continous freehand draw
line draw
filled/unfilled rects (can be filled with a brush)
filled/unfilled circles (ditto on the brush fill)
a rather tasty air-brush (which can use brushes)
color/tint/shade/matte drawing modes
color pick
color replace
flood fill
brush fill
zoom

still loads to add...

just your basic dpaint knock-off really :P

just decided to remove text and arc functions - cus i never used em in dpaint, so feck it :P

Screen shot here...

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

dpaint?(Posted 2002-02-20)
got fed up with games stuff - so decided to start on something useful....

Take a (eary WIP) look...

cheers, yappy

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

doing some creative stuff !(Posted 2002-02-04)
wot with BlitzMax on the horizon and all that, I thought it was about time I hung up my gooey (haha) gloves (or sock - eh Rav! :P) for a while and make a .... Game!!!

So here`s a little teaser shot from my first 3D venture....

WIP Screen

Its gonna be a helicopter-type sim. I say type because I did make some pretty realistic helicopter controls - too realistic - that baby flew like a b**tch :P So for the sake of gameplay I`ve dumbed it down :P

more soon,

yappy

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt Floats(Posted 2002-01-03)
Just got back to the code after the xmas break and i`ve already added a new gadget!! NoFrontier was really desperate for a Float Input Box - so i`ve added one :). It looks identical to the normal Integer Input Gadget, but obviously allows Float Input. The up/down arrow scrollers also have some nice acceleration attached to em - which i`ll probly add to the Integer Box aswell.

The major pain was parsing the float to get rid of all that exponent stuff - now only true decimal point numbers are displayed - non of this 1.5E-8 rubbish :)

now....back to the other stuff......

Xlnt-GUI v1.74 Here...
[a mailto:stew.yapp@...] Yappy [/a]

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt GUI(Posted 2001-12-11)
I actually managed to convert the entire 4000+ lines of code to use linked lists, and i`m quite suprised at how easy it was :P The only change that has occured is in the syntax of the Select/Case method of gadget checking...thanks to RobinS for helping me with that one :)

A new release will be out pretty soon, and will contain the following:

1-Image buttons ( 2 kinds)

2-New WinHover variable ( used to detect mouse/window collisions)

3-A couple of bug fixes

Things to do....

1-Fully integrate HTML Gadget. This shouldn`t take too long as the parser code is now fullt operational, I just need to plug it into the GUI.

2-Linked gadgets - aint started this but i`ve had a few good ideas.

3-Update the ImageBox gadget - its a bit crap :P

4-Do some more example code!!!

5-Start on XLnt-3D ?? Full b3d support with 3D-Camera Gadgets?

I`ve also brushed the cobwebs off my Editor code. I haven`t touched it for a while and its missing a few of the newer gadgets/functions. So I`ll get this up-to-date and use it to write a few much needed game editors/utils ( I`m writing a game folks!) and also use it to start work on a top-secret XLnt based apps. project ;) - oh, and make some bloody example code too - Doh! :P

I know DynaMan is writing an Xlnt-Editor so I probably wont release mine....his looks very nice BTW ;)

Ok, thats it for now.....

Xlnt-GUI v1.74 Here...

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum

XLnt GUI(Posted 2001-12-05)
XLnt-GUI - a BlitzBasic GUI add-on library.

Thought I`d keep you all informed on recent additions - there`s been a few.....

Currently working on or have completed:

1: Re-writng the whole 4000+ lines of code to use linked lists. Should make it more stable and a bit quicker. (This should make RobinS happy :P )

2: Adding a basic HTML Viewer Gadget - useful for internal help files etc. Includes Links, Images, Tables etc No CSS or Frames ( at the moment). I`m proud of this - considering I didn`t know any HTML upto a week ago :)

3: Image Button Gadgets. There are 2 kinds - normal buttons and clickable On/Off radio buttons (which can be grouped). Both versions have optional borders, optional 2nd Images and optional scaling. They look nice :)

4: Automatic Linked Gadgets - eg. link a slider to a text box to automatically display the sliders value - simple, and it should have been done earlier.

5: Fixed a minor FileRequester bug.

6: Might dust off the editor code too :P

There you go...new release soon....

Xlnt-GUI v1.74 Here...

Cheers, Yappy

XLnt ii Forum