Worklog for Jeremy Alessi

Aerial Antics

Return to Worklogs

Porting to Mac...(Posted 2008-10-09)
So I decided to finally make some real use of that BlitzMax license I purchased 4 years ago. I really had no use for BlitzMax because it had no 3D capabilities I was interested in and I have always preferred TGB for 2D stuff because I never felt it was efficient for me to write all the editors from scratch.

For a while though I've been keeping an eye on the development of MiniB3D which would enable me to hopefully get everything I loved about B3D and combine it with the sweet object oriented nature of BlitzMax which I've always thought was slick.

MiniB3D is rough around the edges but considering the fact that Super Gerball made the jump I figured why not test the Mac market with Aerial Antics. In my game development journey I've noticed that Mac downloads beat PC downloads by about 10:1. This trend appears steady whether dealing with the casual market as I did with Mousetrap Arcade or with a more core 3D crowd as I found with Full Contact Debate.

Aerial Antics was well received by many outlets of the media as well as by publishers. Somehow it just hasn't resonated super well with any of the markets we've tested it with. So I feel it's time to try the Mac market on for size.

I have always wanted to re-write the game anyway. Aerial Antics was actually started in 2002. I'm not too proud to say that I was a piss poor excuse for a coder when I wrote it and it shows. Luckily in 2005 I wrote a multiplayer incarnation of the game which was a lot cleaner, though not up to my current standards it's manageable. The only issue is that it didn't include many of the features that the original whole game did so I'll have to add those in.

To anyone who's been following my journey this is just one of many projects I'm working on. It just happens to be the only Blitz related project I can talk about currently. More to come...

The Still of the Night Causes a Storm in the Mind!