Worklog for Craig Kiesau

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Testing(Posted 2005-09-09)
Unfortunately I can't vouch for the ongoing status of the ALSA extensions. I've made them available to BRL for inclusion, so I guess we'll wait for a Syncmods to see if they make it in there.

The response for testing has been disappointing to say the least. While nobody complained of it not working, nobody complained of it not working either :P Basically not enough of you guys tested it out for me.

As for packaging, I have a .spec file to build an RPM, and Debs are relatively easy to make too. The problem however is that BlitzMax requires the user to have permissions to be able to update modules, etc. which they won't do for something that generally must be installed as root.

While I can include scripts to modify permissions so everyone can access BlitzMax's folders, this isn't exactly in the spirit of Linux permissions and directories. Generally stuff within the /usr or /opt folders shouldn't be changed by a regular user. All the stuff like compiling modules should happen in the user's home, possibly in a nice .BlitzMax folder.

I'm waiting on the release of the source to the Blitz IDE and compilation tools to see whether this is a viable option - theoretically it's just a matter of pointing everything in the right locations...

This won't affect packaging for your games of course. You can still write packages for games, just make sure that any editable files are written to your user's home directory.

For now though I'm going to concentrate on actually writing a game in BlitzMax.

Freeaudio ALSA and OSS(Posted 2005-08-19)
This weekend I intend to finish up the Freeaudio code modifications for ALSA and OSS.

I actually wrote some code to support aRts while helping out with the Linspire issues, but after the hassles to get it to compile (library/include issues) I'd rather leave the other sound systems out for now.

I believe that with ALSA I have all the latency issues sorted out - if there are any latency problems these are due to your own ALSA settings - because OSS goes through ALSA now, they will also most likely affect OSS. You should check your frame count settings as the ALSA libraries will try to use the lowest frame count available.

My intention is to check for ALSA, and if ALSA cannot be initialised, try OSS.

I also have the basic .spec file for a BlitzMax RPM. Once finished, Blitz Research should simply be able to rpmbuild on the .spec file and provide an RPM with only minor modifications. The RPM should also be cross-distro compatible.

I am probably going to work with Dan on the Deb files too.

Once these things are finished I'll be continuing to work on improving the Linux port of Max and probably improving general BlitzMax Audio.

Beautiful music(Posted 2005-08-13)
Surprisingly it didn't take that long to get ALSA playing the same as OSS. It just required some tweaking of the buffers and frames/periods.

Everything seems to work perfectly too, although I'm a little concerned with latency.

I think at this stage there might be a slight bit more latency with ALSA than with OSS, but I can't tell for sure.

I really need people to test it out, so I've created a compiled version of Rockout and tarred it up, which you can download here: http://www.teamted.net/rockout.tar.gz You'll need to extract it to your BlitzMax samples/hitoro folder as I've not included the media.

Please email me with any questions or issues. If it runs OK, make sure to compare it with the OSS executables for latency.

First steps with ALSA(Posted 2005-08-12)
I've taken the existing freeaudio.cpp file from the Pub mods, and modified the Linux code in there now (using OSS) to use ALSA's PCM support instead.

It was a pretty rough job, essentially just replacing the ioctl, open and write calls with their ALSA equivalents. I haven't really looked into how the buffers/frames and threading are working, which is already causing some issues.

At this stage it does a pretty bad job of playing back audio - you can hear the sounds but they're playing at the wrong speed and a bit distorted. The actual code itself is stable however - no weird crashes or memory leaks are apparent.

Obviously the first thing I will be trying to do is fix the actual playback, so we get something that sounds the same and has similar or better latency to the OSS code. Otherwise I'd like to find a way for it to co-exist with the OSS code, so using ALSA or OSS is at least a matter of preference.

Once this is done I will be asking for as many people as possible to help test the code.

Apart from hopefully getting ALSA support into the Freeaudio mod I may try to write another module which adds some additional sound features to the Linux port, such as sound capture. Hopefully this will encourage some other people to spend some time on expanding audio support for the other platforms too.

Blitz Z-Machine port (Infocom Intepreter)(Posted 2002-09-13)
Sorry, been a bit sluggish with the link, I've actually had it ready for about a week.

So without any further ado, here's the download page.

I should perhaps also point out that it DOES include the full source code.

Enjoy.

Blitz Z-Machine port (Infocom Intepreter)(Posted 2002-08-28)
After spending about 10 hours walking through Inform assembly listings (and considering ditching the whole thing), I finally squashed a few bugs, including one very annoying off-by-one bug, which I blame the docs for :P Now we're getting somewhere. I've actually had input going for the last day or so, but bugs made it pretty useless... not anymore.

I can interact with Zork I, ie. look at the mailbox, open it, read the leaflet, go north, etc. and I've got a playable amount of the op-codes supported and tested.

There are still a few things to go for getting Z-Code versions 1 through 3 (majority of Infocom games are version 3 apparently) fully supported, saving and loading games and undo support, and then there's the whole interface/text handling/layout stuff. Not to mention the whole load of bugs I've probably still yet to squash.

Anyway, I must admit to being pretty pleased with progress so far. Hopefully I'll have a cleaned up test version with a download available soon...

Blitz Z-Machine port (Infocom Intepreter)(Posted 2002-08-25)
The missus slept in for a bit, so I fixed up a few things, resulting in this:

PRINT :ZORK: The Great Underground Empire - Part I
Copyright (c) 1980 by Infocom, Inc. All rights reserved.
ZORK is a trademark of Infocom, Inc.
Release 

Seems in my laziness I had left out such important things as abbreviation tables.

I've also squashed a few more bugs caused by being lazy, and unfortunately created some new bugs too :P It's chugging along slowly though, adding more op-codes, up to a nice 59k now, with 35 op-codes completed...

I can see the input handlers just on the horizon.

Blitz Z-Machine port (Infocom Intepreter)(Posted 2002-08-23)
Success! Sort-of...

Well in the last worklog entry, I promised to get it to the initial Zork text display (ie. ZORK: The Great Underground Empire - Part I) and not to disappoint, I've done almost exactly that :P Unfortunately my ZString translation function is pretty lazy, so it looks a little dodgy, but here, in amazing cut and paste text glory, is part of the debug dump:

STOREW 6 (2) Next: 18633
STORE 16 (35) Next: 18636
STORE 39 (199) Next: 18639
STORE 45 (0) Next: 18642
BRANCHTEST: No Branch
CALL 25438 - (18650) (18650) (18650)
PRINT :ZOrkx great underground empire w part iBcopyright ycz dlkc by 6;focomn incm .9l rights reserved
mbzork A Arademark dinfocomN incmbrElease 

OK, so you can gather my ZString/ZChar conversion isn't working right, but that should be enough to show some of the progress so far with actually running the ZMachine and interpreting OP-Codes, shown here as Inform(-ish) Assembly language.

I can tell you that the source code base has grown since the last update, from 6k up to around 43k at this point. The addition comes from implementing and handling some Op-Codes (21 of about 120), and much of the Object handling code, which is probably the nastiest part of the ZMachine. I've also done my best to support all versions of Z-Machine (1-8) available according to the Standard 1.0 document, which fattens the code up a bit in places.

At this stage, there are maybe two bugs I'm aware of that need to be sorted out, one is the ZString handling, and the other is possibly byte-array address translation, which as far as I can tell is causing some Ops to write illegal ZMachine addresses.

Other than those, the major thing remaining for Zork I to run nicely is primarily Input Op-Codes, which I haven't even looked at yet. Hopefully, other than that, it's not too difficult from here on.

I'll be pretty busy for a few days, so the next update might take a bit longer.

Blitz Z-Machine port(Posted 2002-08-19)
Encouraged by some recent posts on the forums, I'm putting aside my 3D Adventure/RPG engine for the moment to figure out some Z-Machine emulation stuff under Blitz. Don't go getting any hopes up yet, it's not an altogether straightforward thing, even with some of the documentation I have; which feels like it has been translated from English to Japanese and back again, although I suspect that's something to do with my feeble mind.

At any rate I have some stuff going at the moment, I'm parsing through the header files, I've figured out Z-strings, using banks for memory emulation, decoded the dictionary, and I've just about got the routine/op-code calling stuff. There are quite a number of different op-codes to be implemented, thankfully the documentation seems pretty thorough in this respect.

The main intention here is to get at least Zork I (Infocom Version 2) working, and then maybe look into later releases if I feel inclined. It's primarily an academic experiment, as such I will probably be making the source available to share my confusion with you all.

Actually reading up on the Z-Machine has left me pretty impressed with the whole thing, specced out over 20 years ago, with some very clever tricks to work within the limitations of computers at the time, as well as remain portable to the number of systems available back then (as opposed to the almost PC/Windows only world we live in now.)

Anyway, the next step is to hopefully get enough op-codes working to get the initial Zork text up on screen, at which point I'll probably post another log here.