Worklog for Aussie

3D Snake

Return to Worklogs

Day 6 & 7, Project finished(Posted 2012-12-22)
Found a font i was happy with.

Decided to go with a scoreboard type setup for displaying the score & high score.

Made some images for the title screen & displaying information.

Decided not to add any sound fx & music to this version of the game, it would take up way to much time for this version.

This version was about me finishing a project by doing something i could get done in a relatively short period of time.

The next version will be more complected & have a different spin on the game.

I will have to create a simple world editor first so that will be the next project i work on when i get the chance.

Day 5(Posted 2012-12-09)
Made some small ferns.

Made some rocks.

Finished the arena.

Made a model for the snake & textures.

Made a new pickup.

Decided to go with a nighttime feel.

Day 4(Posted 2012-12-07)
Today I managed to get back into it again & thought I would make an Arena for the play area. I decided to go with a forest theme & make the boundaries of the play area fallen trees. The outsides of the play area will be tree ferns, small ferns, rocks & moss.

So far I have managed to make some low poly tree ferns & the arena. I am pretty happy with the way they have turned out.

All models have been made with Blender.

Tree fern

The Arena
[IMG
]
Aena with tree ferns added

Arena in Blitz3d

End of day 3(Posted 2012-11-30)
Think i am done for the day.

Added a simple high score recording system.

Added a start screen with a simple menu.

Added a fade out fade, fade in effect between the start screen & the game.

Changed the colour of the pickups.

Changed the arena floor & colour.

Changed the colour of the snake & changed the head segment of the snake.

Removed the collisions from the first segment of the snake, had a couple of problems with it. It's not needed with the first few body parts anyway.

Intro & 3rd day(Posted 2012-11-30)
I have been using Blitz3d now for 4 years & this will be my second full finished project when it is done. Due to work & life I don’t get much of a chance to get stuck right in & code often. The problem with that for me is that it becomes a very slow learning process from having to go back over what I have been doing in the past & trying to figure out what I did to get something to work. The other problem I find is that I will start making headway with something then not get back to it sometimes for 6 months, can’t figure out what I have done (because I haven’t commented my code) & put it in the to hard basket.

I had the thought the other day at just trying a 3d version of the old Snake game, something small, then adding my own spin on it when I get the simple part of it working nicely.

I will keep posting up the code until the simple part is done then upload some images as it progresses. Hope others get something out of the code. :)

Here it is as it stands.
I have the snake movement to where I am happy with it & the segments being added correctly with the tail being added to the end of the body. Thanks to Midimaster & gradualcheetah.
I have a scoring system, pickups & an arena with collisions working correctly.