Worklog for Nate the Great

TSA Video Game Creation Competition

Return to Worklogs

Design Stage Almost Done(Posted 2011-11-30)
We had a meeting Saturday (Nov 26, 2011) I only planned for it to last around an hour but we ended up working for around 3 hours on different design concepts. The requirements for the story/game are that it have strong educational, social, or moral value and the player should have learned something by the end of the game. This is what we came up with:

An environmentally themed game with a world that has been absolutely trashed by humans so much so that the humans have all disappeared and you (a robot) are left to survive in this mess. You then find the plans to a rocket ship hidden in your boss's office and decide to give up and escape this wreck. Your goal is to collect the parts to the rocket by solving various physics puzzles to traverse the trash covered landscape. After collecting all the parts you build a ship to finally escape this mess. As you fly off into space you realize you have just run away from the problem, not fixed it and you have nowhere to go (its space!) and as memories flash back on the screen you realize it wasn't such a bad place after all and maybe you should have stayed to help out.

We then had a relatively short meeting this past Monday (Nov 28, 2011) where we worked on a general concept for the main character and revised the story a bit. Today, (Nov 30, 2011) we had a TSA meeting. The main purpose this meeting served was to inform everyone of where we were in the project and to figure out what was going to happen as far as how many people were allowed on the team. Apparently there was a limit and we didn't find out the limit before I already had a team of 9 together. The limit is six so unfortunately I had to cut one person who has not shown any interest in coming to the meetings so far and we had to decide which two people will be going as 'guests' but fortunately guests can still contribute to the project. I also started programming the structure for the game and we started searching for a good boned animation tool for the future. The Next meeting should be this Saturday (Dec 3, 2011) I plan on having a decent amount of code written by that time and we will work on figuring out how to integrate the different styles of art being done for the game as well. We may also make an official storyboard for the notebook we have to present along with the game but right now the most important thing is getting the game into a playable state.

-NTG

http://naillproductions.synthasite.com

Day 1(Posted 2011-11-21)
Our first meeting was held last Wednesday. (Nov 16, 2011) At this meeting we discussed some different concepts for the game keeping in mind that the game had to be educational or teach something of social or educational value. We came up with two good ideas despite the meeting being cut short and postponed the vote on the game design until the next full meeting where we will have more ideas ready to be presented and explained. Our next meeting is tomorrow after school (Nov 22, 2011) and it will be an especially short meeting because we don't have a room to meet in and the library closes at 4:00. At this meeting we will vote on a basic layout for how the game will work and if we have time start on the story and create a "plan of work" which is a requirement for the competition. I plan on getting a group of people together over thanksgiving break so that we can finish the plan of work and write out a general storyboard.

-NTG

http://naillproductions.synthasite.com