Worklog for Litobyte

Litobyte's log

Return to Worklogs

Dragan's Quest week 50(Posted 2003-06-02)
Bubbletrouble v.1.5 - 02.06.2003
Last added/fixed:

- Fruits creation algorithm: now if MeshesIntersects(fruit,scenery) fruit is skipped, this results in no more fruits are half shown.
- Source of copyentities leek bug fixed.
- Enemy and system Pivots leek bug fixed, hey I actually didn't know pivot entity would fill the memory !
- Font Leek bug fixed.
- Speed bonus bug fixed
- Crash bug on the extend spell where an exploding bubble water particle wasn't finding its emitter anymore, fixed.
- Another crash bug was spotted and fixed upon the extend spell:
- Old unused globals, and old unused Pivots were ripped off.
- 5 Maps were changed and recompiled again, theboat level2, level3, due to the missing of the camera plus some addition, swampisland level3 better fruit point, theboat level7 better waypoiny layout, and practice level3 was made better.

Corrected changed in last releases (1.20-1.40, but not reported)

- 60% of the maps were adjusted and recompiled.
- Parametric Quit Prompt added, it brings out of the game if in the Main Menu, and to the Main meun if in the Game.
- Now default settings are 800x600x16 bit, dithering true, vSynch false, resulting in a much faster FramePerSecond average.
- New method of collisions/death
- Red potion bonus now gives health, new health
- new level with boss, new mechanism, image new boss health image
- new console commands
- new bonus: EXTRA LIFE potion
- now EXTEND gives only extra life and clear level, but not
- Crash bug upon spelling the extend bonus with 1 or more captured creatures, fixed.
- Sun flares vanishing bug, fixed
- Sun flares showing squares (multitexturing option in main menu was ripped), fixed
- Now certain creatures are created only in certain worlds (levels characterization)
- Water-Machine gun, the water consumer weapon is now in (it appears only if you've got the Rifle)
- Now menu and all 2D elements are well positioned at all resolutions
- Minimum Video resolution possible was restricted to 512x384x16, maximum is untouched (max possible resolution allowed)
- The Blitz Text command has been restricted to the essential (only for debug text, creatures left written, and "messages" system)
- Better Text Dialogues (content)
- More readable layout (black background, light text)
- Many other little re-touches and fixes

-------------------------
Litobyte software

BubbleTrouble1.0(built1.10.03)(Posted 2003-03-09)
This is what I miss to complete the whole thing:
- stats: global and local, bonus for seconds left to complete a level
- optionmenu's submenu good for all resolutions

I can't enumerate the lot of changes, but I try to remember the most of 'em.

Last added: (built 1.10.03)

- radar parametric to the b3d level volume
- Time Cylinder Scale Parametric with total level time
- Bug fixed: "splutting" fruits collision to terrains
- LevelCodes added
------------------

From 1.01.00 to 1.07.03 (changes/fixes)
---------------
- AI movement personalizations
- HUD good for all resolutions
- Total number of acting creatures in a level limited to 6/8
- Poly Occlusion for AI models added.
- radar / compass added
- fps mouseview, play the game in first person if u like ;)
- now you win an extra life at 50.000 and at 100.000 pts
- fixed some bugs in the cutscene-player
- Better intro-cutscene
- now not empty bubbles has dynamic circleshadow, increasing their size and decreasing their alpha with heights from floor! :)
Messaging system implemented with following events:
Pause
One creature left
hurry up
low on water
superbonus released(name of bonus?)
Letter X gained
And much more...
- Dragan (the player) has a different entity color diverso (piu scuro sul rossastro)
- now AI / creatures doesn't spin like mad when reach a waypoint.
- Levels intro scene dialogues changed font for a more readable one.
- Now bursted creatures leave a burned trail on the ground together with the fire.
- New bubble system implemented, a counter for the bubble to explode when you are onto one. now bubbles can be used as platforms, but they grow...they grow...they grow :)))
- Bubbles have now their own different gravity weights.

whoa! that was quite a long run!!!

now I'm satisfied and in general the game got:

More addictive
More playable
Funnier
More requestive (now a 16MB videocard could start crying in some huge levels which ask 4-8MB or even 10MB of videomem)
More Exploration and not only arcade (in huge levels)
Faster (around 38-75 fps on a P3 866mhz + gf2mx 32MB vc on w2000 directx9 detonator30.82)

I would like to thanx all of you for help or pieces of code.
In particular: BMK, Elias Tsiantas, and all the people @ blitz community who liked to share their libraries and knowledge with us.

I'd like to thanx G.Bray and Idigicon for the chance and all the people who supported my morale and told me to carry on in the worse periods along the 7 months for the game developement.

This game is not done by a single person, and full credits are given in the main screen of the game.
I started this alone in July2002 but soon the team counted about 4 to 8 elements who cooperated to the realizations-.

Bye now,

Tom

Litobyte software

BubbleTrouble_beta(built1.03) update(Posted 2003-01-03)
Bubble trouble beta 1.0 beta (built 1.03)

Most important things added since 1.0 alpha release (built 0.99.9):

Language.txt is in.
The game will read the file /language/english.txt if in the bubbletrouble.ini file,
will be specified english as language, basically the game have now his
Global language$ variable, who will read the right txt file in the language directory.

All TGA sprites and textures were brought to .PNG format for possible general licensing issues on the TGA format.

Main Menu, and option menu is now in, only the Audio, not yet, as audio game code needs to be optimized.
The menu is now faster, all PNG based, and background is sample only once. (multiple sampling of the background bug fixed)

The player now looks around for NOT empty bubble, and turn his head toward the nearest one.

The player now is even faster that before, RUN was added, and SuperShoes bonus will be added, making him even faster.

New Amulet bonus added! FireBalls ? YEEESS! Spit again fire from your mouth for 30 secs!

Bots AI was re.written, update split in 2 new functions, logic and physic updates,
now they are faster, smarter, and will host soon 3 different levels of difficulty: FRUIT, BUBBLER, DRAGAN,
this will give longevity to the game.

Lightmapping engine, and level editor were improoved seriously (many thanx go to Elias Tsiantas).
As well as the game client code to load maps, of course, here a brief list of what was improoved/changed:

- Lightmapping small artifacts and clamping artifacts are now out.
- Maps now support all the known features of the .b3d format: texture UV scale,
and texture offset and texture rotation via texturecopy
- Maps now support Multitexturing with 2 or 3 layers possible now
- Vertex lighting routines were improoved
- Maps now support DXlight Planes and Terrain entities.
- Ligthmapped Terrain in! Now terrain + objects maps look supercool!
- A single Rich b3d file is saved as map geometry, this file is a very complete rich b3d model,
carrying Vertex color informations, both different texture UV channels, object hierarchy
- Now maps are all packed in a single PAK file, containing all the level files:
textures, model and map file, lightmaps, skybox, and camera files

Tons of small bug fixes and new levels added.

Litobyte software

BubbleTrouble engine update(Posted 2002-12-17)
I'm considering to rewrite the base code, of enemyAI, particles and bubbles, to have 2 different functions to update them.

EG:
Update_Logic(e.enemy)
Update_Physic(e.enemy)

In this way, I will be able to update the physic (movements, jumps, rotation) every cycle for each bot giving same fluidity I have now, with a for each enemy loop.

But Logic update will update Animation commands, and waypoint logic/AI., based upon the After, First, Last type technique, which is faster, and you can regulate, on how many updates to launch for each type for each game loop.

This will make all the same-kind bots, animate different from each other, and not like synch, and will give me the possibility to make checks like the shadow thing below the model, only 1 on 10 or stuff like that.

Already the different animation thingy Im noticing here, is making the game much better,
and I'm sure it will make it also faster when this rewrite is all up&running for all entities.

Ciao

Litobyte software

Last_BubbleTrouble.update()(Posted 2002-10-08)
v0.9.84
- New FX added to enemies (particles)
- New FX added to worlds (new fire, waterfall, and other)
- Game Menu: Configurable Keyboard controls (to come: Joypad support)

v0.9.85
- Basic Joypad support is in (buttons are not configurable).
- New Lightmapping engine, now the builder and the engine support:
- Camera Recording/Playback
- Sounds entities
- Texture blend for proper multitexturing

v0.9.88
- the evil "Whale" AI got generally better, almost final.
- fixed framerate back to 30 (Gfx)
- Fixed the bug that caused the timer to be CPU/HW dependent(now is correct)
- Added dedicated player's jump and player back on ground sounds and "puffs" particles.
- General tweaks on player speed and moves and animation code.
- Changed the Game End-Life Lost dynamic, tweaked the camera fades, and camera range.
- More time now to end/explore a level 2 minutes-10secs*levelnum, instead of 90secs-10secs*levelnum
- Aiming mode in FreeLook mode activated, you can now Aim monsters with the target.

v0.9.89
- Fruits are now created and ejected when you explode a NOT empty bubble
- New cool addiction to main menu (I don't tell, you will see, surprise :)
- Shaders scripts for static objects are in!
- New Bonus added, "Repulsing Shield", it push away enemies for 20 secs with a powerful electromagnetic field.
- Game Logic code is now much cleaner.
- DATA pak have been splitted in 3 to simplify publishing and optimize better the game code:
fx.pak (particles/fx), menu.pak( mainmenu media) and game.pak (the main data pak)
*** note: also level will be packed later on.

Litobyte software

ModEd(Posted 2002-10-02)
Finally I had a "NOT Animated mesh" exporting routine working, it actually converts .x and .3ds to .b3d format, and animated .b3d importing/dumping--> banks function is also working.

Its now time to write the exporter and I'll be done!

Beware, the power of ModEd ! :)

Litobyte software

ModEd(Posted 2002-09-27)
A "model editor" / shader editor application,
it's not a modeler, it's basically a brush editor, and a model painter, it will save shaders as editable txt files, that will be associated with a small client piece of code to your model.

It imports .3ds/.x/.b3d, it has also an export to .b3d function, that will be not good (yet) for animated mesh.

Here how is looking like right now:
ModEd screenshot1
ModEd screenshot2
ModEd screenshot3

Oh, of course is all coded in blitz +blitzsys.dll
(just color picker blitz code used, thanx to Rob H.)
Thanx also goes to Elias_T for help, and his quickQUI,
to OMA (think that's the name) for his nice menus (OMAGUI),
to Terabit for making public PaintTriangle Function.

This tool will also avoid to load the mesh as animmesh, for getting the child he want to shade differently, but simply load mesh, and generated code will do the job on surfaces for you (if the modeler/artist has correctly separate the materials).

Look here how good look this hourglass,
Environment mapping for the glass part, special cylindrical wrapping and disable face culling for wood.
woooohoo :) It looks real!
ModEd: HourGlass screenshot

ok texture for wood could be uvmapped and not like that
but look at the glass!!

You should see rotating the view how it looks! :)))

cya :)

This is a sample of the code generated by ModEd shaders for a model to read its brushes in blitz3d:

time_model=LoadMesh( Pak("hourglass.x" ) )
	woods=GetSurface(time_model,1)
	glass_s=GetSurface(time_model,2)
	glass=CreateBrush():wood=CreateBrush()
	BrushColor glass,100,220,250
	BrushAlpha glass,0.5
	BrushShininess glass,1.0
	BrushTexture glass,LoadTexture(pak("reflmap.bmp"),64 )
	BrushFX wood,16	
        BrushColor wood,188,113,56
	BrushTexture wood,LoadTexture(pak("planks.bmp"),32 )
	BrushShininess wood,1.0
	PaintSurface glass_s,glass:PaintSurface woods,wood
	ScaleEntity time_model,.5,.25,.5
	HideEntity time_model

This will be an option, the other option will be saving external shader (text) files.

Oops I forgot! :)
Download here a free demo version to test it out (no save allowed - export to b3d still not complete )

Litobyte software

Waypoints / Points system is in!(Posted 2002-09-05)
new AI is coming out nicely.

Now bots don't get stuck anymore,
and they starts to seems alive :)

I want to thank Elias_T for the great editor addictions (he also thanx me I guess for waypoint structure suggestion) and I thank Bitmaniak for those suggestion :) A big round circle huh ;-) ?

Litobyte software

BubbleTrouble come at the 0.9.8(Posted 2002-09-01)
Spent time in cleaning up the code a lot lastly.

I just miss to add the waypoint AI system,
with starting points, jump or run or turn waypoints, stuff like that and will be 1.0.0 demo! :)

Is now possible and very cool to do, with the Lightmapper 0.8.8

Will keep you updated

Litobyte software

Double Post sorry(Posted 2002-09-01)
Damn submit button!

I'm so sorry, I have shifted down 2 entries...
Don't hate me!

Litobyte software

Website(Posted 2002-09-01)
edited

Litobyte software

New(Posted 2002-08-05)
BubbleTrouble: the remake! :) (of bubblebobble®)

I hope you all will get big fun from this game.
I compiled yesterday the alpha version.

Will be soon ready a beta to test.

Visit bubbletrouble's page for updates ^-_-^

Litobyte software

CoolLevel for Blitz status(Posted 2002-04-26)
Get the app we use so far at link

****************!NOTICE!**************************
For who had problems in loading their 3D models, I bet this models have the "#" character in at least one of the children.
XLNT library uses # to generate lists and pulldowns, so is surely a matter of this type
Try to rename all the children containing that character and should be fine.

Litobyte software

DDK project freezed(Posted 2002-03-24)
I have to give bad news to who wish to see moving this game.

The graphic people who helped me since the first day (may 2001) in doing the DDk game, has dropped the project.

I will probably ask for graphic/animators/artists help as is really a pity to waste 7-10 months of work on the title.

I have story, plans, drawings, ideas and all the concept basically, ready for the final rush, the engine is almost complete, and I sware I will finish this title, but the main problem are: characters.

I will let you know how far CharacterFX can be used to turn all the characters from .3ds into .md2 one, but they have no limbs and this allow a poor customization until you are not doing a fake pivots skeleton for any character.

:( a bit low morale

Litobyte software

News for CoolLevel(Posted 2002-03-04)
I'm enhancing this tool again,
under request of the graphic section:

They said: "we will never do a processing anymore without a save work function avaible"

And so I'm doing it.

I will let you know when avaible and a complete list of features.

Litobyte software

CoolLevel for Blitz status(Posted 2002-01-18)
After a debat this will be the final name :)

CoolLevel for Blitz3D / BlitzMax (hopefully)

news/&updates v0.9.3

Binary Input:
- Added an auto check control for .lit files with same name as the model when loading first or a new model
- Added Load .lit for level command button
- Added Load .lit for selected mesh command button
Misc
- Added Load New Level button
(this wil load another model but Vlights created will be still there)
- Added find child match name$ function
- Draw processing function check box added (you can now see where is processing, but dont follow different part meshes with the camera yet)
- Now SHIFT multiply vlight moving speed X2 CTRL X4, both X8 :-)
- Camera Orbit now remember last rotation :)
- .ini management is In

Known bugs:

- When you switch to Move Vlight mode, if go back to GUI then cursor movement will affect sliders and 3D viewport become very slow. Temp solution to this is to switch again off movevlight mode button then switch it back on
- Sometime the MoveVlight switch doesn't work(weird)

To do list:
- FInd Child with wildcard$
- Navigation to be improoved
- Load and Save project functions
(for saving all your Vlights previously set associated with last model and lit files)
- Delete and CLone Vlight command buttons

Litobyte software

Cool ShadeMesh status(Posted 2002-01-17)
BTW problems with progress bars were solved, and were due to my glued-brained :(

Anyway it was my fault, and not a XLNT's fault.

So now we have 3 kind of output while processing(all 3 are verbose):

FAST: only text showing progress
GUI(ed): progress bars and indicators
PICASSO: you see the engine painting the vertex realtime while it is doing it

Also for the 1.0b auto reconizing of the .lit file on .3ds or .x loading it will be provided, as well as Load .Lit buttons, and Delete Buttons

Later

Litobyte software

LightMesh processor(Posted 2001-12-10)
0.7 update

Very Nice things...
I love blitzbasic, I love the language, and the power I have in my hands, writing this Dx tool for our game engine is just marvelous :)
It was so fast this first phase of the developement, that probably the tool will evolve in the near future to a Deluxe 2.0 version,
Let's see...

0.5 update

I'm really in the juice, an ambient light slider control was added, create light now create a light with a moving pivot, and you can drag the viewport to rotate the camera.

I'm in the middle of a array of types storm :)
Will sort out in some way...

Litobyte software

Level Lighting Processor (Posted 2001-11-29)
0.5 update
I'm really in the juice, an ambient light slider control was added, create light now create a light with a moving pivot, and you can drag the viewport to rotate the camera.
I'm in the middle of a array of types storm :)
Will sort out in some way...

I'm starting working on this important tool for 3D artist, which will allow them to process "animmesh" levels through their hierarchies, light it with coloured lights, so making possibile effects such as multi coloured rooms, circular light marks of fixed lights and more, then save all the work in a binary/txt file, and then have it loaded in the game very fast.

Please tell me if anybody already started something like that, so to don't spread work, and make 2 clones of the same tool.

Basically will be a compiled exe with file prompt, that will do shademesh, and lightmesh, at particular coordinates and specified RGB, calculate all of them (approx 20 min for a complex level and let's say 20 lights) then save all in a binary file,
and a Function for your games, that will load this information from within this binary file.

Comments on the programming forum are appreciated.

Litobyte software