Worklog for _33

TURBOCHOMP

Return to Worklogs

A little over a week(Posted 2008-08-09)
Now that we passed safely 7 days of on and off work, I'm releasing TURBOCHOMP as an alpha (now alpha3). I've added a couple of things which are cosmetic, but also some things for slower computers (CTRL-E to turn off post processing effects). There is an 800x600 cfg file in the download too, which you need to place in same directory as TURBOCHOMP.exe).

Extensive gameplay tweaking(Posted 2008-08-07)
Got some more work on gameplay features and basic controls. TED now moves only when keys are pressed. This helps giving more depth in gameplay. The stars are now useful. When you pick up stars, you then have advantages for gameplay, where a star will guarantee you 10 seconds extra when picking up a "time" tile. The star will also abolish loosing time when tripping over the multicolor disc. Finally, a star will help you teleport from/to other teleports instead of more random places.

I've programmed zombie AI. Now there will be levels with roaming zombies! This starts at level 16. The zombies are pretty predictable in their movements. But if they bump on each other, they go to other places and it get's a little interesting there.

The object that looks like a cucumber has a purpose now. I call it the cement mix. When you step on one, it creates a cement cube right beside you. That can block your path. So, this is something that can really alter gameplay a lot as it can block passages.

I fixed tons of bugs, but I fear there are many others that I haven't seen yet. But, compared to the submission I made last monday, it is far more interesting! Now I have to make more zombie infested levels, with cement mixes and teleports and stars :P Oh joy!

You can get the latest version of the game here: http://hosted.filefront.com/JackMoore/

Levels, visual effects, gameplay(Posted 2008-08-03)
I've worked on pretty much all of the aspects of the little game. Each levels are less than one minute gameplay, averaging about 30 seconds. A lot of the game is based on the player's dexterity maneuvering TED across the mazes. As I was developping the game, I also created levels (9 levels done for now, want to increase that 10 folds :P). I find the levels 1 to 9 myself pretty easy! In fact, level 1 to 9 can be done without loosing a life fairly easy. Levels 10 and above will get a little tougher. Gameplay elements are added as the levels progress.

The graphics portion will stay pretty much the same across the levels as I use the same tiles, but I'll try to vary the levels enough to keep interest. I use Fast Extend for the Post Processing effects, various fades, contrast, blur effects. Zooming is done with Fast Image through Grid Terminal commands.

That raps it up for today :)

First tries at a platformer(Posted 2008-07-31)
I always wanted to make a simplistic 2D platformer game. Like a pacman, but even simpler, but, more fun and more colorful, with music across the game. With the little work I did this week, I've got a main character whose name is TED (The Head) who is the pacman in this game. Also got a level style. The graphics are crude, but they are all animated, which should enhance the visuals a bit.

Some stills of the WIP game: