Worklog for KronosUK

SimpleWorld development

Return to Worklogs

shader hell(Posted 2013-01-21)
My exploration of shaders this weekend did not go well so I probably won't be using them anytime soon.

Texture Splatting(Posted 2013-01-15)
Did some experiments over the weekend with mixed results. Overall having different textures on the the terrain surface looks better than current.

1. Using 4 meshes and masked textures. Nice but had some small problems which I couldn't figure out how to resolve in some of the corners where 3 different textures meet.
2. Building meshes from squares. The different mesh layers have different textures. Absolutely hated the square look . It really destroys organic feel of the terrain. (even though its flat!)

This has caused me to think about moving over to the openb3d wrapper for further development as this will give me access to shaders. However I need to confirm whether all my existing code will work as expected with openb3d first.

I want to learn a bit more about glsl so hopefully this will help.

Grass!(Posted 2013-01-09)
Added some swaying grass.

Also vaguely thinking about adding some texture splatting on the terrain surface.

Latest Additions(Posted 2013-01-07)
Have taken a slightly different tack from my original vision of the game I wanted to make in order to try and keep things simple. Still can't decide whether to go stylized or have realistic graphics or a mix.

Anyway I am primarily using Blitzmax and Blitz3dsdk for this at the moment.

I have recently added some environmental effects including shadows, undulating sea and swaying foliage. I want to add some clouds eventually once the particle system is cleaned up.

Vehicle creation and waypointing is in place. I want to put in physics even though world is mostly flat but this may change.

Its all a bit ragged at the moment and needs alot of finessing but main elements are in place and I am ready to tackle battle AI.

Here's another vid with better looking water. I used my wrapper for the OpenB3D engine for this. Trying to match this effect in B3D.