Worklog for errno!

State Of The Art 2 Point 0

Return to Worklogs

First Contact(Posted 2007-10-20)
So, a new game, of an old franchise. One that never saw the light of day, but briefly consumed the lifes of me and my old team-mate Evak.

What is state of the 2 going to do different then you say? For a start, it's all GIRL POWER . That's right, all characters are woman. Not really for any artistic reason but because i found a great 7 woman model pack with a load of good animations.

Evak, if you're reading, email at antonycoder@... - even if you dont want to work on the sequel to our greatest work, i havn't spoke to you in ages.

Yes I'm high. Yes I'm drunk. But so what.

The game is currently in a good state. It is built in blitzmax exclusively, using gaberial's great TV3D Wrapper. A fantastic engine/wrapper combo that is like discovering b3d all over again. It puts the power in the hands of the coder and doesn't assume anything. It's been a load of fun so far, just coding a 3d game again after so many months(years?) coding commercial applications.

This game will use my soon to be released kick ass scripting language for blitzmax(Wrote 100% in bmax of course), so will feature many scripted gameplay sequences.

I'm tempted to do multiplayer but honestly, all I want to do is tell a story. Multiplayer is a nice sales point, but it's not art. at least no multiplayer thus far has been. I'm sure in the right hands and minds such a game could transcend the genre.

It wont be done by EA, that's for sure. it'll be done by someone like you, or like me, someone who makes games to make art. Not to make a quick buck.

Although money is a fine incentive. I wouldn't have been coding on wildfire for over 10 months if i didn't find money a good incentive to development. But there is a time and place for true art. True art in the medium of games is actually a combination of many artforms. from story narrative to music to touch to interaction.

This is what SOTA2P0 will be all about. It won't bow down to the alter of the lowest common denominator. it will make you work for your rewards, but those rewards will be epic.

Evak, again, if you're reading contact me. Let's make a great game together like in the old days. i'm drunk and nostalgic atm, but fuck it. a good team with a good idea is worth more than a thoushand...i don't know how to finish that sentence. (takes a toke)

So STATE of the ARt 2 - Trailer coming soon. The music will blow your socks off. Too few games place importance on music. look at ea and their god awful ea-trax system. any game that panders to the populist ideal rather than searching for true resonece within is a game not worth owning. and no ea games are worth owning.

check back tomorrow for some screenshots.