Worklog for karmacomposer

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Breakthrough on FAST object placement(Posted 2005-04-10)
Been working on the object placement editor and terrain editor (probably will combine them). I like what I see. Using Cartography shop 4 for building, well, buildings . . . I began creating a small level with around 60 items - and so far, nice fast 60FPS and could probably be higher, but I am limiting frame rate to 60FPS.

Got scale, rotation, x,y,z placement and rotation, terrain scaling, terrain vertex building (and smoothing), camera and light placement all working. Creating the database array for the entire enchilada to load and save - essentially the file and data system for GECKO. This is the hard part. Just how big is big? How big of an array will it handle before it bogs? Dunno yet.

Mike

If you require video, custom music or sound fx for your games, go to www.world-class-multimedia.com

Created the orthographic interface(Posted 2005-01-25)
Created the main orthographic interface for world building. It has many features already implemented, but working on straightening some of the movement code for the top-down view.

The flow goes like this: Use the front, side and back views for 3d object and prefab placement, use the top down to make sure everything lines up and to find stuff quickly.

I will make a snap-to function so that you can snap levels or objects together to make seamless worlds (snap will work for terrains, objects and prefabs)

I am also going to make a search function so you can find an object, prefab or terrain quickly by entering coordinates or by clicking on the object's name from a list

As a side note, if any accomplished 3D programmers wish to join up with this project, I would greatly appreciate it. This is a for-profit endeavor, so anyone working with me will share in the profits. I have been following the FPS Creator for a long time and really dislike the direction it's going, so I would like to make a world creation system that is simply better and more open ended than that. The FPS Creator is more of a beginner's tool, this will be an intermediate to advanced tool. However, same end result - to build entire games within one program interface.

If anyone is interested, email me at mfelker@...

Please, only proficient programmers that are TRULY interested in joining up. I value anyone's opinion, but that is NOT what I wish to see in my email by the hundreds.

There WILL be a website for this project at a certain breaking point (when enough is done to show off a superior looking product).

Thanks for reading this.

If you require video, custom music or sound fx for your games, go to www.world-class-multimedia.com

Quicksilver is also just about ready(Posted 2005-01-25)
Quicksilver is a companion browser made for security. Featuring blazing fast speeds and 128 bit encryption of all data structures. A really awesome browser coming along nicely.

Should be done in a few weeks.

Rocket is retail ready(Posted 2005-01-25)
Rocket is a world-class browser and is ready for retail. Look for it on www.mfelkerco.com

The thought behind G.E.C.K.O.(Posted 2004-08-09)
G.E.C.K.O. is going to be a total game creation package for 1st person, 3rd person and vehicle/flight games.

The non-programmer will be able to make a game from concept to completion in this program. The only editors left out (for now) are texture editors and the editors necessary to create 3D objects. Since fine programs like milkshape and photoshop exist, not to mention the mryiad of programs here to do the same things, as well as programs like Truespace and 3D Max, I figure why re-invent those particular wheels.

The idea for this actually came from two things. One, as a purchaser of pretty much every editor here at Blitz3D, I just have not been satisfied with any of them COMPLETELY. They are all EXCELLENT in their own rights and for what each can do. Kudos to every programmer, every one of them is a gem.

However, a long time ago, a crappy little engine called PIE 3D game creation system existed. Now, it was not that good at creating a final product that could compete with the big boys, but it had one thing going for it. A VERY VERY GOOD DRAG AND DROP EDITOR. You could make indoor games very easily with it. They weren't that good and all resembled the original Wolfenstein 3D square room engine, but the editor was fun to use - so all was forgiven.

Now we have Blitz 3D and AMAZING programs and games being created every day - but none with the ease of use and just plain FUN to use ability that PIE had.

Enter G.E.C.K.O.

Game Entertainment Creator Kit & Organizer

From this one program, you will be able to write down your thoughts, plot summaries and create your storyboards.

Then make those thoughts and storyboards a reality, starting with collecting your assets with the Library Editor. Gather all the assets that you will be placing in the games. You have to start somewhere and this is the most logical. Therefore, after your idea is a little more solid, you now can create all the models, objects, textures - everything you outlined in your storyboards and illustrations. Then load them into the asset management editor for later use.

On to the Terrain Editor: Use this to create the raw terrains that will make up the "levels" of your games.

On to the World Building Editor: This is where you place your assets you loaded into the Library editor. Now, just those things that make up the terrain - such as buildings, trees, grass, statues, walls, etc - whatever will need collisions gets put here. You will be able to load multiple terrains to make one big one and, hence, a world. This is where the 2D placement editor will be - hence the PIE-like interface - this is used for coarse placement with a pick and drop snap to grid interface. The 3D orthographic interface is used for much finer tuning of all placed assets. G.E.C.K.O. is SMART - it knows the terrain heights and will not initially allow you to drop an asset below a terrain height (unless you want to).

On to the Game Editor: This is where it all comes together. Now that you have your "worlds", you can load them in here and place your player, enemy and vehicle assets. Create the enemy AI. Define the missions and waypoints if needed and define the global world attributes and all lighting. Here you will "bake" the shadows into the terrain with the lightmapper. And the coolest thing of all, here you will choose the game type (of course, this should have been decided a way long time ago) and all the necessary coding with be put into motion for your game, be it a flight game, FPS, 3rd person or vehicle / driving game. The overlay editor will allow for HUD items and the Menu editor will let you make the opening menus. You will also be able to place lakes and rivers and define how they look and act. Also, this is where you place your sound effects and music tracks. Finally, you can manage the databases that are automatically created for you throughout this process. The last part is to compile your game into an .exe file as a stand-alone game or as a .bb file for inclusion into Blitz 3D - but people without Blitz3D will be able to make a game.

As you can see, G.E.C.K.O. is a major project and will take time. If anyone wants to offer their services I won't say "no".

G.E.C.K.O. will come with everything you need to make one of each type of game (4 types) from soup to nuts - as well as tutorials on how to make them step-by-step. There will be libraries of prefabs and other assets (sound and music by yours truly). Anyone wishing to contribute to asset inclusion is invited to do so with open arms.

Let me know what you think!

Mike Felker

Screenshots coming soon(Posted 2004-08-09)
As soon as I have enough done, I will begin to put in some screenshots.

Now have the orthographic editor up and running and about to put in the grid and snap to grid system.

After that I will begin on the 2D placement editor.

Now have the lowdown on G.E.C.K.O.(Posted 2004-08-09)
Although this is not a complete list, this is the goal of the software and the work flow:

Name: G.E.C.K.O.

Game Entertainment Creator Kit & Organizer

Sections:

Main Menu
Library Organizer Asset Management Editor
Terrain Editor
World Editor
Game Editor

Library Organizer Asset Management Editor:
Storyboard editor
Plot editor
Import assets. An asset database is automatically created.
Assets can be 3D files (.x, .3ds), level editor files (.map, .b3d), graphics and textures (all supported image files), prefabs (.b3d), sounds and music (.wav or .mp3).

Terrain Editor:
Build large mesh terrains by sculpting mesh.
Create topo maps and terrains maps
Paint onto terrains with multiple textures

World Builder:
2D top down grid editor with snap to grid and underlayed topo map. Intelligent and automatic height adjustment by the software means your assets automatically start out on top of terrain and not in the middle of a mountain.
Load many terrains together to form larger areas
Click and drop assets onto terrain
3D orthographic editor with wireframe and texture support for fine placement of assets. Snap to grid makes it easy to add walls, railroad tracks, etc.
Automatic database creation of all assets on world
Prefabs and foliage / trees / grass, etc.
Library window
Save world files

Game Editor:
Import multiple worlds and stitch/morph their borders for MASSIVE worlds.
Merge and integrate multiple world databases into final game database
Choose global world values (ie: fog, camera fov, player starting position, bodies of water, transparency, water mirroring, etc)
Place players, enemies, vehicles, etc
Path editor for vehicles, enemies, etc.
Place lighting, sound effects and music tracks
Light mapper for baked shadows
Choose type of game (ie: FPS, 3rd person, vehicle, flight, etc). For flight games, can choose optional infinite terrain which overides other already created terrains. Assets will be readjusted automatically and you can make fine changes.
Mission editor
Waypoint editor
AI editor (enemy AI)
Overlay editor (ie: compass, GUI, HUD, TOPO indicator, speedometer, etc)
Database utilities and maintenance
Main Menu editor
Export finishes game to .exe or .bb file.

============================================================

I have a lot of work to do. Working on the world editor right now.

Just need to add the myoffice functions(Posted 2004-08-09)
Rocket is a state of the art browser that will replace most every internet application you have. Blocks pop-ups and ads effectively (can be turned on and off at will), speeds are near broadband even for dial-up modem users, presets, cool sites, transparency, stripper for html and text, multiple browsing windows, offline browsing, and so much more.

Must complete the FTP, Chat (video and audio), Messaging, meeting (up to 25 video streams at one time) and digital answering machine - then it will be done. This part will take me around 3 or 4 more months to complete.

The rest is 100% working and seems to be bug-free after tons of beta testing. It's almost ready for market.

Update on Saviour and other projects(Posted 2003-04-10)
It has been a while, but I have completed other small projects, mainly multimedia based, for clients.

Saviour is nearing completion. Music is done, levels are almost done, storyboarding and EDLs have been made and initiated. Really all that is left is to populate the levels with models and scenery.

That is where I am asking anyone who wants to be involved with this project to drop me a line at my new email - mfelker@...

I hope to see Saviour and my music on the upcoming demo CD for Blitz 3D

Saviour converted and ready(Posted 2001-12-14)
Saviour has been converted from Dark Basic to Blitz 3D and the space and ground cameras are done.

Now I need to create models, levels and then edit them into worlds.

If you wish to be a part of this amazing program - email me at mfelker5@...