Worklog for KimoTech

Nexus 3D Engine - DX9/10

Return to Worklogs

Engine on Linux :-D(Posted 2009-03-26)
Now i'm through with porting the engine to linux by providing an OpenGL renderer. The engine is in fully development, and is getting more and more complete as the days go by.
I hope a beta will see the daylight soon. :)

Kim Johannsen
Sorry for my bad spelling, my native language is C++

Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC, Intel Core i7 2.66GHz, 6GB DDR3, Zotac GeForce GTX 285 AMP!| XP Professional, Celeron 1.4GHz, 1.5GB DDR, Integrated ATI Radeon 200M

Direct3D 11 and KimoEditor(Posted 2009-03-16)
Now i've made a good kick-off on my editor, and it features a nice .NET user interface like the Visual ... IDE. I'll post a screenshot soon.

Second, i've started programming a renderer for the new DX11 API, and it seems to look much like the DX10 API, so there is no problem implementing it.

I've also done some more optimizing, and i have made support for multithreaded rendering in DX11 mode.

Kim Johannsen

Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC, Intel Core i7 2.66GHz, 6GB DDR3, Zotac GeForce GTX 285 AMP!| XP Professional, Celeron 1.4GHz, 1.5GB DDR, Integrated ATI Radeon 200M

GeoClipmapped Terrain(Posted 2009-02-22)
Now the terrain renderer is finished! :D

Kim Johannsen

Next step(Posted 2008-11-10)
Now i have finished implementing PSSM shadow maps in the engine, and it renders them fairly good. You can choose between 2x2,3x3,4x4 PCF sampling, and PS3.0 Soft Shadows.

Now i am working on the terrain part, and also, loading FBX files through the FBX SDK ;-)

Kim Johannsen

Kimo Editor(Posted 2008-06-15)
I have started on my editor, and now you can do some basics like creating cubes, position, rotate and scale them.

Kim Johannsen

Physics(Posted 2008-06-07)
Now i have done some tuning on the wheel shapes, and now cars act very realistic with suspension, friction etc.
Tomorrow i'll start working on soft shadows, and afterwards, some animated ragdolls.

Kim Johannsen

Rewrite(Posted 2008-06-02)
I have done a totally rewrite of the old hardcoded part of the engine, and now i have finished these functions:

Post-Processing
Render-2-texture
Shadow mapping
Hardware skinning
HLSL .fx shaders
Picking
Basic physics using PhysX (cube, plane, sphere, wheel shape)

Working on:
Hardware instancing
CLOD Terrains
Soft shadows
Stencil shadows

Kim Johannsen

Post Processing(Posted 2008-04-24)
Now post processing works:

Depth of field
Bloom
Dizzy-effect
Blur
Invert colors
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion

Kim Johannsen

Optimizing(Posted 2008-04-09)
Now i have done a lot of optimizing, and now i can render 400 cubes without instancing with about 400FPS.

Now i am working on instancing, and post-processing.

Render-2-texture is also working, and shadow-mapping works fine!

Kim Johannsen

Demo Ready!(Posted 2008-01-24)
Now a little demo is ready ;-)

Walk the zombie with the space key, and control camera with arrows and LMB1.

Remember to install the latest DirectX and PhysX drivers.

Enjoy ;-)

http://www.box.net/shared/583isydgks

Kim Johannsen

Fragmenting of shaders canceled(Posted 2008-01-23)
As i've found out, that Shader Fragmenting isn't supported by Direct3D 10, i keep stick on 'Ubus' Shaders. That means, that the shader is composed by a lot of different functions and includes. This method is also better in performance ;)

Kim Johannsen

Hardware Skinning(Posted 2008-01-22)
Hardware skinning now works. I just need to finish the animation system. It can display the un-interpolated animation from a b3d model now. ;-) And you can move/rotate/scale bones manually like in b3d.

Kim Johannsen

Nexus Game Engine(Posted 2007-12-11)
The target for this project is, to create an engine with the use of the old flexible and easy-to-use command set.
It shall also support both Direct3D9 and Direct3D10 rendering, and it will have an integrated wrapper for AGEIA PhysX. The rigid body objects will be used as entities. Fx: Set a cube as a child on a rigid box, then the cube rotates with it.

Kim Johannsen

Update(Posted 2007-12-11)
Now shaders are ready to use. Shaders are managed pr. brush. Multiple brushes using the same shader, does only use one D3DXEffect instance. 'Default' shader does perpixel lightning and phong shading, textures and vertexcolors.

Picking works!
Entity system 90%

A little sample which shows use of parent/child entity system, picking, tforming, and perpixel lightning:

The code which shows you the use of orig. Blitz3D commands:

Kim Johannsen