Worklog for Sonic

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Trip 2005 : Final Cratch(Posted 2005-09-30)
Hey everyone, I'd just like you to check out an alpha of my game, Trip 2005. This has been an ongoing project since the Amiga days (Trip, Trip 94, Trip 95, Trip 2000, Trip 2: Trip War. Some of these versions appeared on Amiga public domain.
Here is a rough alpha of the new Trip - started in Blitz 3d then converted midway to BlitzMax. It's rough as hell, but see what you think.

PLayer 1 controls: AWSD + left shit.
Player 2 controls: UDLR arrow + 'M'.

Shoot the flying bugs then collect them while landed or sliding across the ground. They give powerups - Red is speed, blue is weapon power-up, green is shield, multi-colour is 'Streamer' a short burst of instant-kill laser. Grey bugs give you a random powerup between - homing / bouncing / 3 way / Homing 3 way / bouncing 5 way / both ways. You can only carry one grey at a time. You can also shoot power-up bugs out of your opponent.
The idea is to shoot or 'cratch' the opponent ten times. Cratching is the art of coming down to the landing strip at speed and turning at the last minute to maker a powerslide along the ground. The faster you hit, the more damage you will inflict. This is also made stronger by shield power-ups.
Charge your laser by holding fire. If you are at full charge and 'cratch' you will kill your opponent instantly for 'Final Cratch'. Final cratch is the ultimate accolade.
ENJOY!

Week 3(Posted 2005-09-21)
Ok screenshot's up in the gallery. Go check it out!
I thought I'd make an entry to say what's been done / still to do...

Done:
- Walking / interacting with objects, talking etc.
- Interactive music system (70%).
- Special effects (fog / ALife fireflies.)
- GUI for editor around 15% complete.
- Script language 70% complete.
- Walking animations. Some cutscenes.

To Do:
- Most importantly the GUI, and a file format for save / load game.
- Tons more animation.
- More locations, script etc.
- Finish script language.
- Sort out some inventory issues.

First thoughts...(Posted 2005-09-20)
This project is slowly consuming my life. I'm trying to make the kind of adventure engine SCUMM might have evolved into, and a game built around it. Ambitious, I know, but it's not the first time I've written a full length adventure, having released a full-length shareware Amiga title... We'll see if I can juggle it, because higher production values are needed than back then. I have the art concept down, but am in need of animators... Apply within... the style is Japanese Anime. I'll post a screenshot if someone tells me how!