Worklog for lowpoly

'Zero'

Return to Worklogs

texture & lighting(Posted 2007-04-18)
Just thought I'd post an updated screenshot showing my progress with texture and lighting so far.

Took a good deal amount of work to get the satellite looking right, including going back and adding geometry and ultimately remapping the entire mesh. I also went in and added texture and shading to the ships as well. I'll go over that process at a later date since it's a bit complicated procedure.

Lastly, you may notice a slightly updated HUD that now shows your armor & hull integrity. Needs some fine tuning but it works really well in game for me.

26K | Development Blog

welcome(Posted 2007-04-11)
Ok let's try this again, my first log seemed to have been eaten...

Anyway, 'Zero' (working name) is a top-down, 3D space combat game inspired by Wing Commander I, Asteroids, EVE Online, and a touch of the movie Aliens. Although the primary gameplay will be focused on arcade action, the game will feature a rich universe and emerging storyline that can be experienced in a quasi-RPG style. Blah blah blah, onto some wip screens:

Keep in mind, these screenshots are way early in development, but the fact the games is both playable and actually kind of fun is inspiring. Considering I've been using Blitz for about 4 years now, this is a pretty large step for me. Zero is built atop the rubble of many a failed project before it, however, in that time I've learned a great deal about programming, game art, and modularity.

I'll try to keep this worklog current with new screens as much as possibly. If you are interested in the minutia, check out my blog

26K | Development Blog