Worklog for Devils Child

Devil Shadow System

Return to Worklogs

1.2 update(Posted 2006-11-11)
The 1.2 update has already been released quietly a moth ago. I won't make any big deals out of updates. Maybee not all of you know... However, I guess people who are using my engines will update them before any game releses :D

DSS1.0 Final release(Posted 2006-09-22)
I'm proud to announce the final release of this shadow system. Maybee there will be updates such as DSS1.1...

here is the stencil shadow thread no. 3, where you can talk about the system:
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63491

Download the latest versions on www.devil-engines.net

Screenshots:

-

Soft self shadowing(Posted 2006-09-16)
Soft self shadowing now works perfect. Sometimes it doesn't look very soft, but the shadows are more relistic.

Camera inside volume - no problem!(Posted 2006-09-03)
Now, if the camera gets inside the shadow volumes, the scene won't turn inside-out! No... But the rendering is very costly since i have improved it. The new release will be in approx. one week

0.6Beta Released(Posted 2006-08-18)
I decided to release the beta version of our shadow system(now called DevilShadowSystem)!

-Download restriced-
-Screenshot restricted-

Animations supported!(Posted 2006-08-17)
Now I was playing arround with animations, and if you want a caster to be animated, we only need to declare each of the children recursive as a shadow volume caster. Then we save these informations recursive into a file and reads them recursive out.

This works only with bone animated meshes like the makbot or the mariorun object; not with *.b3d models which are vertex animated.

New shadow volume algorithm(Posted 2006-08-14)
Here I am again people!
DareDevil made a new algorithm for creating shadow volumes a certain time ago, and now i got time to check it out.

The new algorithm pre-calculates each shadow volume when a shadow caster was setted. When he is ready, he saves all the informations into a file, and if you want to use this caster again, he reads the informations out of this file ~300x faster than the first time! You can also disable file-saving, if you realy want to...

The file- saving is programmed by me :)

I got the idea to save the caster's information into a file while testing andreymans shadow libary! Thanks andreyman ;)

Soon i will release the new source code certainly free and open source!

First demo(alpha stadium)(Posted 2006-05-04)
After long research and playing arround with the core of DirectX i decidet to build a shadow system in a team of me and Dare Devil. We have managed our first little system.
Well, it is not as fast as a commercial one, and you shouldn't use it yet. But we'll hang on and we'll try to make the best of it.

=Link restricted=