Worklog for Duckstab[o]

Areonx (Reworked)

Return to Worklogs

Interface(Posted 2008-06-25)
Im going over a few design concepts atm

Mainly Sticking to the a format based on the games story to give it a nice blend without contrasting to much

Main Stat Screens are Rendered to a RenderSurface to cull the number of draw calls needed per cycle as DrawText functions create a large hit on the framerate.

Im Building the Gui on a basic Show and hide interface ie Click to show and hide

Rendersurfaces are only updated when screen focus is lost or statistic are modified

Window 7 Home Premium
Q6600 4*3.199Ghz
Single Nvidia G260 768mb DDR3 (Soon to be two :) )
780i XFX mobo
21 Viewsonic 16/10
4gb Ram
1.5tb harddrive

My Game Space Home Page

Performace 1(Posted 2008-06-21)
So Far things are looking up

TestScene1

32*32 Terrain 25600 vertices and 153600 indices (51200 Tris with four Uv channels) 10 Base Textures applied
2 Animated Character 3k Tri
11 Static Meshes using 8 Various Textures

With All these Visable at 1680*1050
1200-1400 Fps Depending on angle

With All these Visable at 1680*1050 With 4XAA
500-700 Fps Depending on angle

Window 7 Home Premium
Q6600 4*3.199Ghz
780i XFX mobo
21 Viewsonic 16/10
4gb Ram
1.5tb harddrive

My Game Space Home Page

Building Blocks(Posted 2008-06-19)
Once the Terrain Layout Has been Designed then its Time to Give the Levels a bit more Variety

This is Done on Three Levels of Details
Collision Geometry (House,Walls,Pillars Basic Static Geometry)
Interactive Geometry (Box Crate Barrel Chests Portal)
Detail Geometry (flora forna Special Effects)

Currently Im building the First Collision Geometry set as this will be most important for designing and debuging the Test Levels

Window 7 Home Premium
Q6600 4*3.199Ghz
780i XFX mobo
21 Viewsonic 16/10
4gb Ram
1.5tb harddrive

My Game Space Home Page

Whats New(Posted 2008-06-18)
Whats New?

Haha Well just about everything

1. Ive Redesigned the Level Design Flow to allow for easy creation so easy that dynamic terrains are possible ie Character pulls of a awsome move resulting it lowering/removing the terrain.

2. The Terrains
Well Im currently using TV3d Landscape class for this its designed for organic flowing terrains but after a bit of trial and error ive managed to get the results i want.

Level Can be anywhere from 8*8 to 64*64 tiles

EachTile has...
..25 verts (9 Local and 16 Shared) this can be raised higher vert counts to supply more detailed versions (This will be reviewed once average level geometry detail has been established and a performance hit is evident).
..Its Own texture (This can be Flip U/D/L/R)
It is also possible to have single Textures stretched over several tiles.

In addition to this it is possible to layer several splatttexture over the terrain (Recomended 3) these also can cover an area of tiles or the whole terrain.

Currently The Terrain Designs are Created from a File containing ArrayHeight Details Which are calculated and applied to the Terrain. This Will be replaced by actual TerrainFiles supported by LandscapeClass to allow for instant loading,Generation (Texture/Splatt must be load seperatly).
Then Main Gain from this is being able to Store Random Terrains and the possiblity of Saving mid batttle.

Terrain Culling..
The TerrainClass Support Enabling/Disabling each Tile which adds a nice ability to turn of Tile when objects are situated on top

3. Character Models
Im now Taking a Different Approach

First I Created a Generic Skeleton and Dummy Mesh this is the main animation layer

Next A TrueMesh is Designed and Weighted to the Generic Skeleton Finally Save with skeleton but without animation.
Then I Create the Basic animation Set for that Class Characrer and Export animation.

This allow me to Edit the TrueMesh Creating Several Versions and Bind then to the Animation Model in Game.

Note (Once Ive got a better flow/desgin going i will merge the animation sets of SimilarRaces to allow a Single Mesh to perform animation from a variety of sets.

Window 7 Home Premium
Q6600 4*3.199Ghz
780i XFX mobo
21 Viewsonic 16/10
4gb Ram
1.5tb harddrive

My Game Space Home Page