Worklog for Regular K

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Sound system(Posted 2005-10-30)
I created a rather small, but robust and very good sound system. I may release it publicly if anyone wants it.

Mundus uses it, Ive implemented its first sounds just a while ago :)

Each sound has an accompanying dat file that contains the distance at which it can be heard and the volume factor. The volume factor can be used to make the sound louder or quieter.

Sounds are loaded into an type, that array is assigned to an array with an ID, for quick accessing rather than searching through a list of types for it.

When a sound is played, an emitter is created. If the X parameter is assigned, the sounds Pan is calculated. If X and Y are assigned, the distance the player is away from the sound is calculated, and pan is calculated for the sound.

This allows a nice "3d" effect of the sounds, creates a nice effect.

Emitters can be paused, resumed, etc all on command.

All done in 86 lines.

---
ATI X850 XT, 1GIG RAM, AMD Althon 3200+ (~2.0GHz)
BlitzMax, BlitzPlus

Autoupdater(Posted 2005-10-30)
My game, Mundus, features a rather effective autoupdater. Whenever the game is ran (not in debug mode), it instantly closes and starts up the autoupdater. The autoupdater then downloads a list of files and calculates the checksums of the client files (if they exist). Compares the files, if the checksum doesnt match or the file doesnt even exist, it begins to download the file. Once all the files are downloaded, it closes it self and starts the client up.

Currently theres 47 files it downloads about 80-100 kb/s (for me), in total 3 MBs. It downloads it in around a minute.

The file host is a webserver hosted off of my computer right now. It will do for now.

---
BlitzMax, BlitzPlus

Remake(Posted 2005-10-25)
The remake is a big jump from the older versions Ive made (I think I got a few of them).

I will write about each specific part of the game as I get time to.

Right now heres a quick summary:
Mundus is a 2d, top down, shooter, but it may be considered an ORPG or Action RPG considering its mixed with MMORPG and action shooter. Accounts can be registered in the client. The world is made up of 64x64 grids, each being 640x480 pixels. That allows me to load the maps as needed, not all at once. Those are called grids.

When you create your account, you choose a "kingdom" to be in (3 kingdoms in total). Each kingdom are made up of territories. A territory is made up of many grids (20x15 tiles chunk of the world). Main goal of the game is to conquer other kingdoms by capturing their territories. Currently, capturing takes 60 seconds but that subject to change.

Thats a really rough description of the game.

---
BlitzMax, BlitzPlus

New stuff(Posted 2004-10-25)
DOES ANYONE WANT TO HELP ME DESIGN THIS WORLD? PLEASE EMAIL AT seankarol@... !!!

Im thinking of adding another skill named Stealth. it would be when you use it, you go invisible to the other teams for a limited amount of time (level*1000 ms), thus making it a good ambush skill, especially in neutral territory (the blue gun is a assassin gun, that does lots of dmg, perfect for this)

I added leaders for the Red and Blue team (same as a king)

I added a skill! accuracy! everytime you shoot you gain 1 experience to that skill. the experience to level is 80*level. this affects your bullet accuracy (which right now is incorrect) by accuracy-level.

NPCs can walk around now, but mostly only guards do (so far)
NPCs have 3 different answers for every command now, one for each team (neutral, red and blue)
NPCs can die now!

I added laws to the neutral territories to stop people from just killing NPCs (that are useful, like gunsmiths)
One of the two laws is: if you shoot your gun and a NPC sees you do it, you are marked as dangerous. if a guard sees you marked as dangerous, you instantly lose 200 gold, you are sent to the starting place and you lose your gun and get a pistol in 2 minutes.
another law is: every swear you say, you get fined 5 gold pieces, it will stop people from swearing non-stop, but not the odd swear

I redid all the guns:
pistol
sub-machine gun
machine gun
rifle
assault rifle
sniper rifle
(if you got any other suggestions that follow that style please email me it :))

Fixed the blood bug (they actually show now!)

I also fixed many bugs

---
BlitzMax, BlitzPlus

NPCs(Posted 2004-10-21)
I added the ability for some NPCs to heal you for 50 gold pieces.

NPC's work in a different way than most RPG's in my game, you type in the global chat "command npc", command being a commands name (hi,bye,talk,trade,heal,join) and NPC being the NPCs name.

---
BlitzMax, BlitzPlus

About the Game(Posted 2004-10-20)
The game is online, using RottNet :)
it works, you join the game, your team is neutral. you can go around and join the red or blue team or go to hostile territory thats either owned by the red or blue team.

its 2d, and top down

there are npcs! they just stand there and say stuff, you can trade, talk, say hi, say bye, or join (like the team).

every time you kill an enemy, you get some gold.
if you have the most kills, your the KING! the king gets alot more gold than regular players but is also a target and should be protected by the kings teammates if in hostile territory.

i see lots in this game and i want to see it through!

---
BlitzMax, BlitzPlus

Entry #1(Posted 2004-09-02)
Well, I need to start planning my game more as it develops, so I thought worklogs would help me.

The forum is at http://omapc.tk

Just to familarize yourself with my game a bit, One Man Army is a top down shooter (2D) being programmed by me, graphics are by KingDiz, sounds are ripped from CS (if you can help me here, please contact me) and its being tested by about 5 people.

Ive been starting to prepare for a demo I plan to release on the 30th, which I hope that will be released.

I got the map editor, about 90% done, I cant work up the strength to continue on it and finish the few features that still exist.

So, ive been pushing my bonus map maker to make some bonus maps but he hasnt produced anything useable for the game.

I have animations for the player throwing a grenade that are overdue for, oh 12 days I think? That set the development back a bit.

I finished most of the AI, they're pretty good but some of it random that I cant even answer. They are very tough and have well no cheating adantage over the player that the player cant do.

Even if this game is 100% profit-free, Im still taking it seriously.

Well, my todo list currently for the demo is:
- grenades, once i get the animations
- about 8 bonus maps to smack out of my bonus mapper
- finish the bloody map editor, BORING!
- start optimization of the engine, its pretty demanding

Ill continue the log later, gotta go to sleep soon (school)

---
BlitzMax, BlitzPlus