Worklog for Sacha

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

R&D ... or somewhat.(Posted 2005-05-01)
Not dead, not dead ...
Im currently doing some research on the most efficient way to make maps.
Im not sure If I should use a terrain model modeled and textured in maya, totally free, or a terrain model in maya, with a tiled textures added afterwards. At least I know im definetely not using a heightmap/terrain.

My main issue with doing a terrain with maya, is that I found no direct way to export my work to a file format B3D can use.
Using wings to convert the .OBJ file to a .3DS file is okay, but I didnt find a way to have my materials/UVs work done in maya shown in Wings. That means I have to do all the material work in Wings, and that take ages.

Anyways ... If anyone has a good solution, please tell me.

---------------------------------------
Lets sing the Doom Song ! -
Doom dee-doom doom dee-doom doom !

Working working ...(Posted 2005-04-03)
So the terrain stuff is ok, the scenery objects are ok and stuff ... But to be able to make nice maps, I think I need to do a map editor now :
theres terrain model to do, tiles painting / UVs, flagmap (bmp image that determines terrain attributes), and scenery objects placing (wich so far is done by boring commands like /dec+ # to add one, /decr # X Y Z to rotate & stuff like that), so without a good tool, it takes ages.

Since Ive got my new computer, I started 'multiplayer' (2 pcs <_< ...) tests (I couldnt made any for months) and actually it went than I tought, altough there was lot of code modification since last tests.

Thats it for this entry. I wonder If anyone reads this anyways o_o.

Modifications ...(Posted 2005-03-25)
Im currently working on my new terain system wich will allow me to do more decent landscapes. Im only on the early tests so fat, but it looks like it will fit very nicely. :)

Working ...(Posted 2005-02-27)
Yup yup, altough I dont tell much about it im still working on it.
Tonight I managed to finish the portal systems (to go to a map to another) wich isnt as simple as it sounds since it requires player disconnection from mapserver of origin, redirection to the mapserver managing the map he is going to, and player information transfert ...
Ok actually it is supposed to be simple, as it should be just like a reconnection, but somehow I managed to make it harder to do. <__<;

I also finished a first version of something 'quite' important wich is the player infos recording system ... you know, the thing that makes the server remember that you wandered arround and gained xp & items. Not the kind of thing I could delay much longer in the schedule (what schedule ?!).

So to recap, so far theres :
- Players movement & chat (public, private),
- Basic player-monster fighting managment,
- Gates allowing to go to other maps,
- Basic game interface (text input & function, message log, windows system, almost minimap ...)
- Mapserver begining of graphical interface & tools for gamemastering (so far monster adding / removing at points or in mouse-drawn zones)
- Main server basic fonctions (whois, kick, global notices & stuff ...)

Wich means it approching the point ill do some private beta test sessions. But before that, I need to find myself a second PC to do my own basic multi-clients tests, since theres a while I couldnt do any real tests (for now I can only run the client multiples time on my own computer. Needless to say having the main server, mapservers & 2 clients runing on the same computer isnt the best testing condition I can hope for).

Thats all for now =)

Starting the graphics part(Posted 2005-01-29)
I finally started to code a bit for the graphics part of the game. Im working on the terrain texture system for now. It looks better already, but its still empty of any objects, Ill need to model trees & stuff like that asap.
New screenshots soon.

About ...(Posted 2005-01-25)
Here the project I was working on some time ago, and decided to continue.
Its somewhat of an Ragnarok Online clone, with the 2D/3D graphics mix ... dont laugh about the graphics, its all just quick made fakes sprites & stuff, just for tests. Btw if any cute-mangaish style spriter with lots of free time and willing to work for free on a mmorpg reads that, contact me =)
Its the first worklog I enter here ! I have some other projects im working on, not much to show so far tough.