Worklog for John J.

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Progress Update(Posted 2005-10-17)
I've been working on a detailed design document for the engine. It's now over 8 pages, and I've hardly begun. The GUI of the editor is nearly complete now. I'll soon create the Blitz3D module for the editor and get everything to "work". I've made several terrain/entity/world editors before, although none with a user interface as nice and easy to use as this. Since I'm using C++ builder, I easily added a nice (large) icon-based media browser to pick entities, textures, effects, etc., and other elements like a custom HTML help system, tree-view-style drop-down lists, etc. The terrain editor will have a new tool I have been planning, which should really help making photo-realistic terrains.

The actual engine hasn't been changed much since the last entry. The editor and software design document have been given primary focus recently.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
BlitzMax OOP Tutorial || BlitzForest | GameScript | MaXML | Polygon Reduction || RoboSumo | Texture Studio | BattleTanks II

Major changes(Posted 2005-10-10)
I'm planning on making some major changes to the project. First of all, I'm planning on branching this into two seperate projects: one will be an independant 3D game engine that will make use of most of the algorithms and optimizations I have developed with this project. The other will be the actual game, which will make use of the game engine module. Created along with the 3D game engine will be a map editor that supports all of the engine's features. Of course, the engine will be expandible.

One major improvement will be that this time I will be working with a fairly well thought-out Software Design Document. The SDD will specify every detail, including file formats, engine usage, as well as all the technical details.

Converting my project really won't be too hard, since all my algorithms and sub-modules (grass system, tree system, etc.) are already complete. The major changes will be made in the general way files are loaded / entities are handled.

The editor UI is being created with C++ Builder 6. I plan to have a Blitz3D window which will communicate with the GUI app by TCP/IP localhost. I think this method is actually easier than combining the GUI with the Blitz3D app, as well as having the advantages of a nice Windows XP style interface (with a .manifest file). The GUI app will send to the Blitz3D app any GUI changes made by the user. For example, the user may click "File->New", which opens up a New Map dialog. After the user has confirmed all the settings and clicked OK, the GUI app sends a "NEW" command to the Blitz3D app, and the Blitz3D app follows the user's instructions. If the user clicks Cancel, no "NEW" command needs to be sent. So, all the complications of managing the GUI is hidden, with only important messages being sent to the Blitz3D app.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
BlitzMax OOP Tutorial || BlitzForest | GameScript | MaXML | Polygon Reduction || RoboSumo | Texture Studio | BattleTanks II

MegaMesh Postponed(Posted 2005-10-04)
I've decided to postpone work on MegaMesh. Instead of getting off track creating a seperate produce, I'll leave the optimization systems as they are for now. I'll try to focus on making progress, and optimize later.

MegaMesh - The Universal Optimization Engine(Posted 2005-09-20)
I've stopped work on adding an occlusion system to the tree system. Instead of adding these optimizations to each system (tree/object/grass/etc), I'm creating a "universal" optimization system.

My "universal" optimization system (possibly called "MegaMesh") will dynamically adjust LOD, and occlude objects. In addition to this, large objects will be split up automatically into smaller "chunks" (possibly with Octree style subdivision). Groups of small objects will be grouped into minimal-surface meshes (only meshes marked as STATIC).

This way, simply mark all your trees as MM_STATIC, and the manager will group them optimally, use LOD, and occlude trees behind mountains, for example.

Also, you can mark characters as MM_ANIMATED and it will be optimized with LOD (automatic LOD calculations are made with my polygon reduction system), and occlusion. For example, 1000 enemies could be hiding within a building, and all will be excluded from rendering except those visible. Also, enemies far away will be reduced in polygon count, just enough so you can't notice the difference.

Additionally, a system like this could be used with an enormous FPS level consisting of 1,000,000s of polygons. The level will automatically be split up into "chunks", where each "chunk" is individually LOD and occlusion optimized. For example, standing in one room where only 5% of the level is visible will only render that 5%. This allows gigantic levels to be used without suffering from performance issues.

One major advantage to the system is it's ease of use. So far, setting a mesh for one of the optimization techniques modifies the mesh in almost no way apparent to you. You still use the same entity handle. You still can scale, position, and rotate the entity just as you normally would (except in MM_STATIC mode). However, higher level of optimizations somewhat limit entity manipulation (see the modes below for details).

Different modes are offered which can be applied to each indivual entity. Choosing the right mode for the job is easy; simply think:
"Is this object going to be animated?" If so, set to MM_ANIMATED.
"Is this object going to be moved and rotated, but not animated?" If so, set to MM_NORMAL.
"Is this object going to be static, and never moved or animated". If so, set to MM_STATIC.

That is really all the user (programmer) need to know about the modes, although the technical details are availible if you are interested:

MM_OFF turns off optimizations on a mesh (restores it to a state before the mesh was set as MM_ANIMATED, MM_NORMAL, etc - removing all optimizations). This is the only mode that allows mesh deformation (manipulation) during runtime.

MM_ANIMATED turns on just LOD and oclusion optimizations for a mesh. This is good for characters, vehicles, and other relatively small dynamic objects. Animation, positioning, and rotation is allowed with this mode. However, as with all optimization modes, this does not allow mesh manipulation (vertex, polygon, uvs, etc. data manipulation) during runtime.

MM_NORMAL turns on LOD, occlusion, and division optimizations. This is best for any object that won't be animated, but you still plan on positioning/rotating. This offers a good balance of control and optimization.

MM_STATIC turns on all optimizations (LOD, occlusion, division, and grouping). This mode is best suited for large numbers of static (unmovable) objects like grass, trees, rocks, and buildings. This mode offers speed boosts only on multiple small objects (for example, a MM_STATIC house is not further optimized than a MM_NORMAL house). This mode simply adds the "grouping" optimization, which combines objects and surfaces to batch rendering and minimize video card state changes.

To summarize, MegaMesh is a "universal" optimization engine. Simply mark your meshes as the appropriate type, and the engine will optimize it for you. Reduced polygon meshes for LOD are even generated automatically for you (optionally, you can use your own reduced-poly meshes).

With this system, you could multiply the density and complexity of you meshes by a factor of 10x with out performance loss, or gain a 10x FPS boost. Since the system is so complex, and will take a considerable amount of my time to create, AND would pretty much take care of all the graphics optimizations you'll ever need to worry about (letting you focus on art and gameplay), I may sell it for a small price. Possibly, I may decide to make it availible for free (like Texture Studio, and my other tools and libraries).

Occlusion(Posted 2005-09-13)
I'm currently working on a tree occlusion system to add to the tree system's features. This should give a big FPS boost to the game.

It works using linepicks on different tree groups (tree groups are usually groups of about 100-200 trees). When a tree group is hidden from the viewer (camera), it is not rendered. For example, if the user is in a valley, all the trees on the hills surrounding the valley and trees on the back sides of mountains are not rendered, because they are not visible to the player. The occlusion system will also eliminate rendering trees when inside a building.

Tree Shadows(Posted 2005-08-23)
Now the tree system draws a small shadow for each tree, with no performance loss (since it draws the shadows directly to the terrain color map).

Also, the clutter system only shades grass according to the terrain brightness, instead of actually setting it's color. This works best for grass textures with color varience.

The game seems to run smoothly most of the time (>60 FPS), although it slows down considerably when the camera enters a dense forest full of high-res tree props. This is probably due to the high fill rate needed to draw this, although I'd still like to improve frame rates so I'm still thinking of ways to increase performance.

Grass Colors(Posted 2005-08-22)
I modified the grass system so that the grass is colored to the terrain it's on, so grass on the dark side of a mountain, for example, will appear darker than other areas.

I'm re-writing the vehicle physics, and hopefully it won't be as bad as it was before. Before vehicles were "locked" on the terrain, and slided sideways down hills often. Now I'm trying to create a "realistic" physics engine for the vehicles.

I'm also modifying the tree loader so each tree will darken one pixel of the terrain colormap. This should create an approximate shadow effect (it will be darker in forests than open plains, for example).

Water FX!(Posted 2005-08-20)
Now the weapon display is completed, now showing not only the current weapon, but two little progress bars showing the amount of ammo left, and the amount of time left for the reload to be complete (useful for tanks and other slow-loading heavy weapons).

Another new "feature" I added is underwater FX! I downloaded the underwater-like screen distortion effect by JFK (it's suprizingly fast!), made a few changes to it to suit my game, and implimented it into the engine, in addition to adding a swirly refraction-like effect to the camera. The complete effect looks really nice, and fairly realistic. (I also added some nice swimming/diving code, or the effect wouldn't be of much use :D).

A few small bugs have been recently fixed, one of them a small problem involving incorrect collision boxes for vehicles, aircraft, and static objects.

Improved Controls and Performance!(Posted 2005-08-18)
Today I signifigantly improved the first person controls. I added realistic gravity effects, which increases the speed as the player falls; The reason I did not impliment this earlier is the CountCollisions() function didn't seem to indicate when the player was in contact with the terrain, it turns out that the update function was re-setting the player pivot's collision type every loop, which seems to "dump" the collision data. In addition to the realistic gravity, the camera now rolls and bobs as the player "walks", making it feel more realistic. Also, I added controls to jump and crouch.

I further optimized the graphics engine, particularly the grass/rock/clutter system. Now the entire world is being rendered at over 60 FPS on my GeForce 5200 at 1024x768 with the graphics detail set to high density. I also downsized the grass "clumps", since the grass as seen in the screenshot below is a little long (it almost buries the jeep!)

The vehicle and aircraft "physics" are still very primitive, as I haven't decided which physics engine to use. Today I fixed the current vehicle physics so that vehicles won't drive under water :).

Project Status(Posted 2005-08-17)
Not much overall progress has been made on the project recenty. I've optimized the engine slightly, and fixed a few misc. bugs related to alpha sorting when under water. I also added some fog to the scene which adds to the realism slightly. Some things remaining on my ToDo list are:

> Fix object collision boxes
> Fix possible bullet memory leak
> Eliminate control lag
> Swim/dive code
> Optimize bullet update function
> Weapon group display system (30%)
> Integrate physics engine
> Birds, butterflys, etc.
> Sun flare effects
> Particle system
> Bullet holes
> Mission editor
> Terrain lightmapper
> Aircraft and vehicle editor
> Sound effects
> Night effects
> Add altimeter and speedometer to HUD
> GUI system
> Mission system
> Menu system
> Artificial intelligence
> Add targeting aid
> Tire tracks
> Sun flare

As you can see, there's still quite a way to go, but at least it's slowly beginning to take shape.

Editor(Posted 2005-07-13)
The state of the editor has progressed a little, with the interface almost complete now. The mission editor will be used to create and texture terrains, as well as placing entities, and setting up mission objectives. However, the mission editor will not be used to create vehicles/aircraft and set their physics up; a seperate editor will be used for this. Not much overall progress has been made recently, as I haven't been spending very much time this project. I haven't yet decided how physics will be handled, although I'm sure a physics library will be needed. I'm also exploring the possibilities of all the major physics engines availible to Blitz3D (Tokomak, and ODE are all I am aware of currently), for use with vehicle physics.

Water(Posted 2005-06-26)
I added some simple water, using an transparent plane with an animated texture applied. The next step in development will probably be to move the physics code over to ODE.

Physics(Posted 2005-06-24)
I've mostly decided that using my own simple "physics" for cars and aircraft just isn't good enough. I'm planning on using ODE, possibly with [K]ODE for all physics. This way, vehicle physics will not only be more fun, but vehicles can go flying into the air in pieces when hit by a bomb, for example.

Screenshot(Posted 2005-06-22)
Here's a screenshot showing the grass and tree system:

Mission Editor(Posted 2005-06-22)
Today I've begun development on the mission editor that will be used to create all the missions and levels of the complete game. So far, I've layed out the user interface for the terrain editor with the BlitzUI visual designer. Hopefully, the editor will be simple and easy to use. With it you will be able to model the terrain, add objects (such as buildings you can enter), add vehicles and aircraft, trees, grass, rocks, and even edit the mission objectives.

Implimented(Posted 2005-06-22)
The clutter system is now implimented into the game engine. The graphics look pretty nice now with grass swaying in the breeze, and rocks scattered randomely on the ground, although frame rates are getting lower and lower. I'm going to have to find some way to optimize it further, because it's running <50 FPS on a GeForce FX 5200 at 1024x768.

Clutter System Completed(Posted 2005-06-21)
The clutter module is completed, and I'm ready to impliment it into the actual game. Now the grass sways smoothly in the breeze. I also was able to increase the grass view range far ahead by changing the way the view distance is handled, so that the grass is thinner far ahead of the camera, and thicker close to the camera, and in a way that the variation of grass density is barely noticeible (this method also affects any clutter, so the rocks do this too).

Grass and Rocks!(Posted 2005-06-20)
The clutter system is now partially working, displaying an infinite field of grass and small rocks. The next steps to complete the clutter module is to add wind sway for grass, and possibly the ability to bend grass down when you walk over it.

The next step after the clutter system will probably be water. With all the grass, trees, buildings, vehicles, and aircraft, I don't think reflective water would be feasible, performance wise, unless you have a very high end video card, which I (and many others) don't have. I will probably use multiple transparent textured ground planes subdivided into a 10x10 grid, and given a high specular value, and maybe a static sphere map. This type of water should be adequate for this type of game.

Clutter system improvements, Factory interrior model(Posted 2005-06-20)
I'm current re-wrote the clutter system so that it is much easier to use for the the user (programmer), while maintaining efficient instructions. Adding infinite grass and rocks to a scene is as simple as:
grass = ClutterLoad("grass.png")
rock = ClutterLoad("rock.3ds") ;It autodetects whether the file is 3D or 2D

ClutterDensity(grass, 1000)
ClutterDensity(rock, 20)

With grass, rocks, branches, and other misc. "clutter" in a scene, it would be very memory-wasteful to use a "cluttermap" for each clutter type. Instead, I think the density of clutter over a span of terrain will be varied randomely, keeping within a predefined range specified in the mission XML file.

Since each grass clump is an individual entity, it would be easy to add a wind function to sway the grass in the wind, as there would be no performance hit at all. So, I plan to add this feature, even so that the intensity of the wind varies slowly.

I also made an interrior of a factory with Maplet, that I will possibly use in the game. I plan to allow the player to walk around inside buildings, as well as on the terrain, although I haven't thought of what good it will do the player :).

I'll probably give away or sell my tree and clutter modules some day, once I make sure all the bugs are worked out (and using them in my game is the best way to test them).

Clutter System(Posted 2005-06-17)
I'm changing the grass system to a more generic "clutter" system. The Clutter System will display misc. small objects (grass, rocks, branches) all over the huge range of the terrain. The grass won't be using a single surface system, so that there won't be any z-sort alpha issues. Although it will seem there are millions of these objects along the terrain, there may only be a few thousand, dynamically re-arranged near the camera so that it appears to be infinite (fading out in the distance).

Also, I added some XML tags to the config.xml file and modified the program to load and save the tree system density/range/LOD. When the game engine is complete, I'll probably work on the GUI system where the user can adjust sliders and set the tree/grass/terrain/etc detail to run best on their machine, which will save/load with this file. BlitzXML seems to really be helping out on this project, because loading and saving any type of data to/from a file is really easy.

Infinite Grass(Posted 2005-06-14)
I've begun work on an infinite grass system. I first tried using individual entities for each "clump" of grass, but 2,500 of these signifigently slow down the game. I think I'm going to have to make a single surface sprite system, instead of using individual entities for each grass "clump", although I'm not sure if this will cause a slow-down when they are rotated and swayed with the wind function.

Also, the weapon loadout display now shows only the current weapon, and will show the amount of remaining rounds, and re-load time when completed. Weapons may now be switched using the number keys (1234567890), as well as the mouse scroll wheel.

Camera Shake(Posted 2005-06-13)
Now when you shoot a big gun (like a tank shell), the camera will rumble realistically! The camera also shakes and rumbles if you get shot, the magnitude of the shake depending on the amount of damage :)

New Tree System(Posted 2005-06-13)
I totally rewrote my old tree-system, so that when you approach a forest from a distance, there is no visible "snapping" from one LOD level to another. Now there is hardly any noticeable level-of-detail transition for trees, as everything fades smoothly.

I've decided to use the excellent nSprite image library for all 2D drawing (HUDs, GUIs, etc.), since it is superior to standard 2D in so many ways (MUCH faster, transparency for images, fast rotation, high compatibility, etc.).

Current Progress(Posted 2005-06-13)
Currently, you can walk (and use binoculars), get in vehicles and aircraft, and (of course) drive or pilot them. When an aircraft or vehicle you drive is equipped with guns, you can shoot. The game currently supports vehicles (jeeps, tanks, trucks, etc.), aircraft (jets, ufo's, etc.), and static objects (houses, trees, etc.).

The HUD system displays a small "progress" type bar below an object if it is damaged, and will dissapear after about 3 seconds of not being damaged at all. When the mouse moves over an friendly or enemy vehicle or aircraft, either "friendly", or "enemy" will appear over the object. The HUD also includes a radar, and weapon selection info (not complete).

All files loaded and saved by the game engine are in XML format (using my BlitzXML module), since XML is a very structured and modular format.

The game engine is based on modules, seperated into individual files (main.bb, pilots.bb, vehicles.bb, aircraft.bb, scenery.bb, camera.bb, treesystem2.bb, etc.)

Since I began development on this game before I started this worklog, a few of the posts above will have incorrect dates, as I will post a few entries for some of the major featured currently implimented, instead of when they were actually completed.

Here are a few (outdated) screenshots: