Worklog for Helios

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Im back.(Posted 2006-03-30)
Sorry for the few updates, I've been rather busy with other sutff. Ill update this more often :).

Nuts(Posted 2006-03-15)
Well i've hit a stump, as object pointers are no longer allowed in version 1.18 my config and console system have completly broke, if any one can help please read the topic in made in Blitz Max Programming with the name String Pointers. Thanks :)

Im also releasing the scripting language im using in this look in the programming board for a topic names "BP Scripting Language"

Scripting language probs.(Posted 2006-03-10)
Well ive been fixing up certains scripting langauge problems which were causing odd problems if you invoked a functions while the script was already in an invoked functions, pretty odd yeh <_<, but was causing so major bugs for the OnCollision events within the scripts.

Ive also started implementing simple mutex system as i was having quite a few problems croping up when script functions were invoked when the script was already in a latency functions (WaitMs, WaitForAnimEnd, ...etc), the syntax ive decided on is exceptionally simple to use, heres an example that causes errors without mutexs (because the MoveLeft/MoveRight..etc use latency functions so the player attemps to move every frame which causes the stack to overflow as its meant to be wating for 500ms in the move* function).

// Move in directions specified
        Mutex {
		If (KeyDown("ARROW_LEFT")  == True) MoveLeft();
		If (KeyDown("ARROW_RIGHT") == True) MoveRight();
		If (KeyDown("ARROW_UP")    == True) MoveUp();	
		If (KeyDown("ARROW_DOWN")  == True) MoveDown();	
        }

Im also toying with the idea of making all but speed dependent stuff scripted, this has the con of making things like players hard to code because of the threading, persistant and battle engine stuff. But it also has the pros of being completly independent of the engine meaning you can modify the game as much as you want while never recompling the engine.

Yet more stuff done(Posted 2006-03-09)
Fixed up the collision system (pretty fast to :P), unfortunatly it also cropped up a problem in the scripting language where the stacks getting corrupted so thats probably goner take a while to fix. Also addded a ton more commands to the scripting language ranging from animation(similar to b3d's system) to trigonometry stuff. The object inspector in the editor has also been completed, its ugly but it does the job. Heres a nice picture (yes i am aware that non of the graphics are original, ive ripped or nicked them from various sources while i work on it. Also sorry about the tileing errors in the map i didnt spend long creating the map.)

Fixed a few more things(Posted 2006-03-07)
Well i fixed a ton of bugs in the editor today, I also sorted out the loading and saving of scripted entitys through the tilemap class which is now finished, and pretty much allows full maps to be loaded into the engine. All i really need to do now is allow people to modify properties of entitys in the editor, which im now working on :).

Also just fixed up the log file (pretty much linked directly to the console) so it now outputs a much nicer html log file rather than a simple text file.

Details(Posted 2006-03-06)
Well i've been working on this for a week or so now, its in pretty good shape to, the editor is more or less done(with a horendous amount of bugs O_O), the base of the engine is also complete, the resource system is quite nice to as it packs everything up into pack files of my own format which can be loaded incredably quickly (only takes 1 ms to load a pack file with 1000 odd files in it, when loaded a file all you need to do is incase the url in a Res() call(im thinking of implementing a res:: protocal sort of like the incbin:: protocal for ease of use), when it grabs the data of the file it only has a very small overhead. Ive also done a few other functions like ResImage(), ResAudio() and such to cast the data into the right type for use). The audio system is also done, at the moment it only has drivers for FreeAudio and Fmod to be used but im thinking of expanding it into a few others, and graphics driver is only avalible at the moment for OpenGL as i have no idea how to do some of the things ive been doing in DirectX(such as dynamic Z-Ordering))

The engine is similar in implementation to the Unreal engine, being that it revolves around a OOP scripting language, in fact the Unreal engine is where i got my idea from. The other nice thing about the engine/editor/compiler/..etc is its all incased in the same exe; you start up different tools by using the command line, this not only cuts down size of any downloads but it means changes in the source of one will effect the others (great or things like the audio/graphics drivers).

The scripting language that it runs on is now finished (few things to touch up though) and runs as a full precompiled stack based language, with support for threading, full selection of operaters, and a very nice(if i do say so my self :P) save/restore system which allows you to save scripts and restore them to the exact state they were saved at (It also does thins such as reloaded resources that are stored in variables...etc). The only thing i currently dont like about it is there no dynamic memory allocation so it all pretty static but non the less it does the job in hand, heres an example script i was using to test it.....

//=============================================================================
// Compiler test
// Copyright (C) 2005 Binary phoenix
Class NPC extends NPCBase;

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Global variables

// Path to the image used by this entity, editable by the editor.
Var ImagePath Editable;

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Functions

Event OnCreate() {

// Setup image
	SetEntityImage(Self,LoadAnimImage(ImagePath,32,48));

// Movement test 
	// ~~~ BAD PRACTICE, dont add code like this in the create event
	//	 do it in the map start event.
	While(True) {
		MoveInBox(Rand(-100,100),Rand(-100,100));
		Wander(Rand(1,2));
	}

}

// Special version of OnCreate called by the editor when an entity is created
// this is best used to load the image to draw in the editor.
Event OnEditorCreate() {

// Setup image
	SetEntityImage(Self,LoadAnimImage(ImagePath,32,48));	

}

// Used by the editor when it resets the editable properties of this object
Event OnEditorValueReset() {

ImagePath = "EngineDemo\\Images\\Entitys\\NPC.png";

}

And heres the base object that i extended the above object from to test inheretence.

// NPC Base, the npcs in this demo inheret from this.
// Copyright (C) 2005 Binary phoenix
Class NPCBase;

Function MoveInBox(Width,Height) {
	If (Width == 0 || Height == 0) Return;
	MoveEntity(Self,  Width,  0,      1); SetEntityFrame(Self,1); WaitEntityMove(Self);
	MoveEntity(Self,  0,     -Height, 1); SetEntityFrame(Self,0); WaitEntityMove(Self);
	MoveEntity(Self, -Width,  0,      1); SetEntityFrame(Self,2); WaitEntityMove(Self);
	MoveEntity(Self,  0,      Height, 1); SetEntityFrame(Self,3); WaitEntityMove(Self);
}

Function Wander(Speed) {

// Create a random direction to move in
	Var X, Y;
	While (X == 0 && Y == 0) {
		X = Rand(-100,100); 
		Y = Rand(-100,100);
	}

// Set the entitys frame depdning on direction
	If (X < 0 && Abs(Y) < Abs(X)) SetEntityFrame(Self,1);
	If (X > 0 && Abs(Y) < Abs(X)) SetEntityFrame(Self,2);
	If (Y < 0 && Abs(Y) > Abs(X)) SetEntityFrame(Self,3);
	If (Y > 0 && Abs(Y) > Abs(X)) SetEntityFrame(Self,0);

// Move the entity :P
	MoveEntity(Self, X, Y, Speed); 
	WaitEntityMove(Self);

}

And heres a nice pic of the editor in case your intrested, ive tryed to fit the sub-editors into it aswell.

Anyway i could go on for a long time about the nice features i've implemented but I only have so long, ill update this worklog soon, I hope you enjoyed reading it as its my first one :).