Worklog for mrmango

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Initial Progress(Posted 2005-02-28)
I have now written the part that handles game variables from an admin menu.

I have found that there will be so many variables to be handled, the amount seen in Football Management games or be it a little more scaled down! That I will now dump all but a few standard global variables and punch into the world of types where needed. I am compiling a list of types I would need and the fields contained within them, at the same time playing with a sub program to get a full understanding of where and how to use them.

Until this is done I will not continue on building the game. I have decided to initially get the game out earlier than later, I will release version 1 as quickly as possible (removing all major bugs first!). This means that the game will start with a small storyline and initial asthetics will functionable only, where I will add to as the game progresses to V2. The initial price will reflect that! So until version 2, all users will get a major discount. But that is a while off yet!

My next step will be to work on the structure of the storyline script. This will hand all how the game will play out and play, display graphics, in game movies. So I have to be carefull how this is going to be done. After deciding and programming this in, then the real easy part as far as I am concerned will come up of actually building gui/menus etc and then the game itself. In theory!!

The beginning(Posted 2005-02-09)
Ok, I haven't decided to commit to a programming project since the days of AMOS and Stos!

So here I am commiting to a blitz project. I have played with it enough now to start my game.

The game? Ok, it's a space strategy game. No big fps etc. I plan to use the 3D for eye candy, backgrounds etc. I plan to mix movies with live 3D to get the look of the game.

Do do's for the moment... well thank god for Protean, because my project management skills are poor at best. so here goes for this phases to do's.

Create a core for the game. Make a system that handles menu's dynamically, as the game is going to have a few! Allow each part of the game adjustable, each variable within the game will be adjusted by a admin section of the game. So I can try various parts of the game, adjust parts at different stages. Create a system that reads scripts, to generate the game's story line. So more can be added by players eventually!!

Also create a modular structure for the game, so intro section (credits, settings etc) is seperate to the main section. I can then possibly use the intro for other game projects.

Once this has be completed, I can then add content to first story script. Some initial graphics and game style gui. Create some first movies to test within the game.

The next stage.. well lets get this done first?

Comments or anything, then please contact me at unforgiven@....