Worklog for Picklesworth

Picklesworth's Ramblings

Return to Worklogs

It breathes!(Posted 2008-01-20)
The Alchemy Game now has working tablet support, with basic verlet physics, too!

Thanks for the tablet module, Fredborg :)

This is really very cool. Unfortunately, running in a window is now out of the question since Windows treats the drawing tablet as a mouse (even though I have access to absolute coordinates on the tablet, as a float from 0 to 1). Regardless, quite fun.

Edit: Rats! My screenshot isn't working :( Too bad... Anyway, it's a bunch of swirly lines falling downwards...

Before anyone says "crayon physics clone", I should make this clear: This game is not a clone.

Rather, I am going in a number of fresh directions. First off, since this uses verlet physics, it is completely possible to create squishy and breakable objects. For that matter, it is necessary to!

Secondly, this is by no means a puzzle game. I am working on a strategy approach, though single player mode will probably have puzzles due to my complete incompetence with AI. (Granted, I am also terrible at designing puzzles. That's all a long way off, however).

I mentioned "single player mode". Yes, this is probably going to be multiplayer. Still undecided whether I will be doing a turn based approach, a real time thing or both. Multiplayer + physics sounds like suicide, but thankfully the physics engine here is extremely primitive and inefficient. That also means it makes no "guesses", and is very predictable across platforms.

My current plan is a resource management approach, where actually acquiring things and stopping opponents is a matter left entirely to your imagination. To keep the game from going mad, drawing is limited to a small portion of the scene. Actually getting creations to have an impact elsewhere is where the game gets really tricky... but I will leave that for when I have something to show off.

As for catch phrases and names, Intelligent Design strikes me as something that would grab a lot of attention, for better or worse. The project name for this version is "Plato". Mentioning alchemy and ancient Greek philosophers in the same place is by no means a coincidence.

Today's problem: Points are added for every single frame that the user is pressing with the pen. While an amazing tech demo (no major slowdowns yet! Computers have come a long way), this is really confusing the physics engine and wasting memory. Oh, and it's stupid.
I need to either put a timer on this or have it only add points when the pen moves a certain amount. Both solutions sound pretty arbitrary... I may want to track the angle of movement, so when it changes significantly a point is added. That way, important details in an object are not lost.
Next up are collisions and physics stability. Right now, objects pass straight through each other, and sometimes disappear into thin air :(

Decoupling...(Posted 2008-01-06)
Complete decoupling...
"Don't do it!" bellowed the cobweb which had fully formed between my forehead and the closed door of my room. I decided not to follow that advice completely, since spiderwebs tend to be quite inaccurate (a pig? intelligent? Hah!). I did not let the moment pass gently, though. Clearly, I was going too far. I seemed to have embarked on a mad journey to create a computer game whose graphics, physics and input components never knew that each other existed, and where the only thing that knew about them all was a three-line main loop.
That a spiderweb had just talked to me was a nice reminder that this quest had been initiated following an "epiphany" in the morning of January 1st. The numerous typos in my leftover pseudo-code's comments were suddenly quite telling...

The system I had come up with was, in a few ways, fairly cool. I had a few central objects for things in the scene, and each of those hosted a bunch of Components, which passively handled graphics, physics, networking and the like. The cool part with those components is that any component could be added and removed at any time with no changes to the actual object. The other cool part is that the scene objects maintained some very simple information, with graphics-specific stuff divided nicely into the graphics components.
The "neato" part came with eventual net code. Theoretically, this meant that an object could easily be created with an additional networing component that quietly ensured consistent positioning of objects between client and server. The main loop, graphics and physics code would be none the wiser!

The bad part is that I had a whole bunch of objects created for each component of each thing in my scene. I had designed this to ensure only needing to iterate through every scene object once, but I had instead done something far worse: I was iterating through each object in the scene, then around three components for each object. Some of those components, like the graphics one, had to do yet more fiddling with loops because they like to have quite a pile of information only available in the scene objects.
At that point, chances of having graphics implemented as a blind component seemed quite hopeless. In addition, I was wondering how the heck a menu system would be implemented and rendered without either a huge Select block or a whole bunch of different graphics object components. It was then, following a fifteen minute debate raging inside my skull, that the spiderweb gave me its message. Code cowboyism returned to my veins, and minutes of backspacing later I created a very nice, simple system with divided front and back ends where I have finally accepted the fact that I do not currently need to use the "Extends" or "Abstract" keywords in any extensive (or Extensible) way.

Anyone thinking that a system like this Components thingimabob is a good idea, consider function pointers or the existing Hooks. They are simple and do not work nicely in huge quantity for a very good reason: because creating a million objects to support ten thousand objects is a very bad idea. If those do not work (as I thought for some reason during my intoxicated epiphany), at least remember that attempts at symmetry will ultimately prove useless at the lower levels anyway (graphics do not work like physics), so may as well not be attempted in the high level code either.

That extensions system, MiniB3D, Equilibrium, et al.(Posted 2007-02-25)
These past 4 months have been pretty wacky.

I've unfortunately gotten out of the practice of programming, which kind of sucks... I was using PHP for a long while, but I've learned to not classify it as programming. It's just weird and I think it has contributed to my recent lapse. Really, what kind of language has Variable Variables? It's a fine idea and fitting with the hash-tabley way that it works, but try saying "variable variable" aloud without sounding like a dork, hm?
The good news there is that over this time I have unlearned some bad habits of the past, so this BlitzMax stuff which I've moved on to should prove nicer than my past code.

I have recently engaged in toying with Simon's MiniB3D. The engine I am sort of developing off of it is not really the same (I am drifting in a very different direction at this point) but it is certainly small and Blitz3Dish and following along with MiniB3D's efforts very closely. Currently my intent is to trim stuff away from the 3D engine and move it to an Extension system. The core engine will be a skeleton, and then piles of extensions will power everything from culling to physics.

The advantage to this approach is that features can be added to the engine in a way that is both indirect and tidy; no changes have to be done to the engine even though those new features work at a very low level. With an extension system, a new feature like a shadow system can theoretically be enabled by importing an extension and calling its initialization code.
This also means that every bit of code can hopefully be worked on independently and will continue to work even after updates. (For example, an update - even to TMesh - will not break someone's personal .glah loader).

When it works, it will be very cool!
Of course, that's the catch: "When it works". This thing is proving an interesting puzzle. It isn't really a whole lot of code, but there is always a nagging feeling that every time I change something, some possibility becomes impossible.

It needs to be possible to create a file loader extension on the same whim as a new graphics feature, and it also needs to be possible to load them in the same way. That is a much more difficult puzzle than it seems because while a file loader may want to be extended one way, RenderWorld wants to be extended another way. While that loaded extension won't need to go anywhere but the file loader; the graphics feature might want a function of its own and maybe to completely remove another chunk of code; a physics extension will want to change the behaviour of the entity movement commands, what happens in UpdateWorld, as well as introduce dozens of its own functions that integrate with MiniB3D.
It gets weird and headache-inducing... fast.

Originally I was using a really stupid design in which information on Extensions was stored in maps full of strings (Keys) linking to other strings (Values). I later changed that to a hash table, and then I fully realized that it was stupid. The good news is that I finally learned about hash tables. They're quite cool, and it's always nice to learn what all these techy terms are; it really demystifies everything, but not in the bad way. Now I can join that "In crowd" that always seems to be talking about their hash :b
Long story short for the uninitiated, a hash table is a way to speed up comparison, storing and lookup of strings by turning them into more sensible variable types using convoluted equations. (String comparison is SLOW, Integer comparison is fast).
So anyway, that was a very stupid design. Now I am using something a bit more interesting which I think will shape up to be THE ONE. With this extension system, I want it to be as easy to write an extension as it is to create extendible code. With that in mind, someone should be able to create an extendible extension or to pull out this Extensions system and use it with ease even in their own projects.

The plan is Containers. An Extension container is placed at any part of the program that wants to be extended. For example, TMesh has a global TMesh_LoadMesh_ExtensionContainer container. Every time LoadMesh is called, this container is told to execute a list of functions stored inside of it. With Containers, making code extendible can be as simple as defining a container and calling its Update function in the code to be made extendible.

Originally the idea was that Extensions would define what they are by a list of Key/Value combinations, and then whenever an Extension is created every Container would look at it using a callback function. If a container liked the values set by an extension, it would add it to its list of contained extensions to be executed with its Update method.

Recently, though, I rethought that idea. It was a daft design because it reduced the control for both Extensions and Containers and instead placed it entirely on luck. Potentially nice in that a Container could theoretically be able to sneakily snatch up any extensions that fit a criteria (for example, a new container could want to use mesh loader Extensions), but really it was just stupid and not to mention difficult. I will maybe address the idea in the future because covertly recognizing and snatching Extensions could be pretty cool in terms of the goal for everything to be developed seperately, but for now any such design will do nothing but distract me.

Now if code wants to be extendable it can just create a container globally (as described previously) and then an Extension can add itself to that container explicitly. Alternatively, as with a TMesh_LoadMesh extension, code can define a new TExtension class that extends TExtension to store some more values. For example, TExtension_LoadMesh has an additional field called FileType. (I'm still working on variable naming consistency here, as you can see). With this design an Extension has to know what it is extending and it has to know how to extend it. To write a file loader extension, one must create an instance of TExtension_LoadMesh and add that to TMesh_LoadMesh_ExtensionContainer; to create an extension that just adds a call to RenderWorld, one has to create a generic extension and apply it to the correct container.

I should take now to point out in my usual word-swapping rambly way that an Extension is really a collection of individual functions, and that the functions are in fact what I have been referring to as Extensions. Extensions hold data, while functions get dumped in containers. Crazy, yes, but hopefully it will work when it's in code.

Why did I start playing with MiniB3D, anyway? Well, it all winds back to Equilibrium, which is my development name for "The Game" described below. It has some decent preliminaries now, and hopefully once the Extensions system is in I will be able to muddle together a Newton Physics Engine Extension, thus having a working engine on which to build Equilibrium. (Me? Procrastinating? Of course not!).

APE? It's deceased. Not really deceased; it's going to be reincarnated. BlitzMax's abilities are perfect for it. It has changed direction and is now going to be an editor base with no mention of physics anywhere. I will not rest until someone can get Pong running in it. Consider it the Emacs of 3D editors.
That first version does work fairly well to mark hitboxes and the like around a mesh and has been used at least once (by me) to mark hotspots for a 3D diagram.
I probably won't do anything with it until OpenWorld/Arena/Whatever becomes a bit more realistic, because I hope to pile them both into the same general extendability ideas, hopefully in such a way that one complements the other. Since Equilibrium now actually has a direction and a chance to be built in the next century without me getting bored and moving back to APE beforehand, APE probably will not be its editor.
Both ideas are more undeveloped than usual, so I'm unusually ignoring them. They might be good ideas, though, some day.

Equilibrium's direction? It does have one, I promise. Some lurking and a single question asked at IndieGamer.com has led me to meditative games. The vision at the moment is sort of a gradual design that flows. It stays complex at heart, but everything is unified under a single concept. While the game does have a lot of stuff where different elements have different impacts (explosions, etc. are fun! Not sure if I explained the cannons on each board, but the idea is that a cannon fires a projectile of whatever element the board it is on is made out of). I am going to leave that fancy "how to make things explode" stuff entirely up to the player to discover; I do not want to swamp anyone with long descriptions of anything. There is no "this is a useful material to attack with"; just easy seeming gameplay with a twist.
For the sake of that flow thing, this should hopefully come down to a single mouse button to control the game. TeraBit's Contour Cam demo really inspired me in that regard. It showed me that the impossible is possible; I can have 3D camera controls that do not necessarily require button presses, thus making this a lot less complicated!

I've dropped and merged a lot of garbage so everything I am doing feels pretty sane now. Finally. Lots of it (Grasshopper, maybe APE) will probably happen for Equilibrium, but won't happen until Equilibrium needs them. Joy!

Okay, I'd better add something useful to this. Good news! Thanks to Google, we are now safe from unknowingly breaking patent laws! (Which is either good or bad, depending on how you look at it. So much for truthfully claiming ignorance).
http://www.google.com/patents

That bug in Grasshopper(Posted 2006-11-15)
As some people may be aware, Grasshopper has a serious bug which makes it unusable in Opera; it assumes plugins to always be located in the /browser/plugins directory, which is not true. (Opera puts them in /browser/DATA/plugins).

Thankully, the eventual fix is one which actually forces me to push Grasshopper forward to something a bit more complete.

There are many ways to fix this, but they tend to require hard-coded browser recognition to hunt down the Plugins registry entry for a particular browser, which seems just as easily screwed up as before. Thus, I have two possibilities:

-There may be a function/property in NPAPI which tells me where the browser's Plugins directory is. (Since plugins are DLLs, their original location isn't easily found by just searching where the program was executed from). This is seeming a tad unlikely, but I'm hoping that maybe something will appear.

-Registry! Registry! Registry!
The real fix is one which is already necessary for Grasshopper's future. Plugins will not need to know where they are stored; instead, they will find an entry in the registry containing the installation path for the program that is a part of them. (Eew... I suck at explaining this system).
This means that plugin programs can then be stored in more sane places such as Program Files. As a result, two browsers could then use the same Grasshopper plugin without having to install the entire thing twice.

I'm leaning towards the second solution, of course, but the first one may make a good fallback...

This means that the next Grasshopper version will actually be a big increment, featuring a fancy installer maker!

By the way, I am really sorry about how much of a mess this worklog is... I'll try to sort it out.
Very smart of the web folks to include a Move option!

Open Arena(Posted 2006-09-24)
A new side-project of mine (branching from some of the very early stuff in Equilibrium, described below with the nonsense title "Worklog 4") is going to build on my love for ridiculously open-ended 'finish it yourself' software with an adventurous concept admittedly inspired by something else. (What, Toribash? I've never heard of it! :p). It may even be a precursor to the previously mentioned open world simulation; perhaps going so far as to have a web plug-in mode.

I believe this project to be adventurous, because it goes beyond conventional game modifiability to the point where the entire game is built around mods that are seemlessly downloaded completely automatically and very quickly, in-game, from any game server.
I guess the complete modifiability makes it more like a game engine, but it is to be limited and simplified in such a way that developing for it is an easy task and the results still apply to a specific style. (Err... reasoning to be seen).

Open Arena

An open-ended online physics-based game with significant power given to the server.

The server manages the shape of the game world, player characters and more via run-time scripts.
The client manages physics code and general control rules as instructed to by the server.

Its open design will allow for unique looks, feels, and gameplay styles for each server such as:
-Toribash-inspired sparring simulation
-A full persistent battlefield
-Multiplayer or single-player physics puzzles (Single-player using a server built into the client program).

With content sent directly from the server to the client on the fly, servers must keep files rather small which justifies a Matrix-esque 'practically empty world' style with a floor and various simple objects.
The menus and starting effects will follow this style, so presumably most unofficial servers will follow suit.

Load times will be kept at a minimum to compensate for the downloads required for each game, and the servers will send most world and object data with a scripting language such as (but much easier than) VRML, which again could reduce download times and ensure that the physics simulation works properly and (from the point of view of a server developer) automatically.

To avoid security issues and for the sake of cross-platform compatibility, run-time scripts are likely to be done via LUA.
The modelling language will also be done via LUA (or whatever other scripting language is used for run-time scripts).

While the physics simulation is to be a turn-based approach like that of Toribash, it is easy for a server to use a real-time system by setting frames per turn to 1 and turn selection time to 0. Keyboard controls could theoretically be created by having hot-keys control particular physics properties. Neither of these possibilities will be directly intended, though I will use them as a goal for the software's openness.

I hope that this software will present itself as a huge crossroads of worlds and possibilities, where every glance reveals a fresh idea and where anyone can bring their own visions to reality.

Now, why did I really post here?
I learned how to make Chai Tea!

Worklog #4(Posted 2006-05-17)
I guess I look a bit nutty using the worklogs so much...

Well, this is the project that starts tying it all together so those other ones will finally go away.

I am going to definietly be using a grown up APE as a level editor, and I'll hopefully be able to produce an easy email game interface thanks to the Grasshopper Web Plugin System.

This is actually a good thing to have all these different projects, since it means that I will not be inventing any new ones. There is enough variety here that I can switch between them when another one drives me crazy. (Though the different qualities of code is a bit infuriating. I may be rewiring APE again... depends on what happens with the plugin system, though).

About the game:

The game that I am working on makes sense only to myself. I hope that as I develop this worklog, my thoughts will organize themselves and it will begin to make sense in a way that anyone can understand.

The idea is to create a 3d strategy game entirely based around physics, in which all 3 planes of movement are important to the gameplay.

The underlying concept for the game is simple: Players place markers on the board to capture territory. Markers can only be placed if nearby to the area of influence of another marker. Like Go, a marker becomes useless when surrounded by your opponent's markers, making it necessary to create chains for better chance of survival.
A marker's area of influence is quite large; I have always been interested in the freedom offered by Go, in which markers can be placed absolutely anywhere on the board.

In this game, a board is a platform floating in midair... usually a flat, slightly rounded object, but occasionally boards will have different shapes.
A scene will consist of many of these boards placed in varied locations.
Boards are tilted by markers, which are actually quite heavy objects. Other special objects, such as propellers, can also be activated or placed to manipulate boards. (Also cannons and the like, but I'll deal with pyrotechnics and idiotic details later on).
A board in complete posession of a player offers many tactical and defensive advantages: The player can now place his markers anywhere on that board, the board can be moved about along the x or z axis in a way similar to 3d chess (except slightly more cool), and other positive effects which go beyond the depths of this introduction will also occur.

With all these elements in place, the game becomes a game about balance -- about managing the universe.
The player has to conquer the universe (reasoning for that is actually sound this time, by the way), but he must do this without destroying it and himself. (Now, wouldn't that be embarassing!)

Of course, there's a lot more than this.
So much that I, for once, can't be bothered to write about it.
All will become clear when it gets further finished...

On to technical stuff:

My previous fiddling with the Tokamak Physics Engine to get the game up and running has encountered hard times. Convex hulls in Tokamak are poorly implemented, and misbehave when objects are stacked on them. I was also unhappy with some stuttering effects which I had been encountering, and the difficulty that arose when attempting to add the ability for platforms to sink.
Unfortunately, I need convex hulls because of the varied (but convex) shapes of boards.
Since this game, being a strategy game, requires that I have VERY stable and reliable physics, I have switched to the Newton Dynamics Engine.

This engine, like Tokamak, features convex hulls. It is also very reliable and does not hop around when faced with confusing problems to solve.
I am pleased with my choice so far. In fact, I believe this may be one of the best free physics engines available!

I will be moving the project to BlitzMax to avoid the pain of porting Newton myself, so it will be a while before things are up and running again since I have to hunt down a new 3d engine.

How to fix Exporters!(Posted 2006-05-11)
I realized that my scripts system was totally stupid, and so I am now hoping to simplify things.

GUI / Variables settings for different configuration packages will be stored in human-readable scripts, as before.
I'll see about improving them, though...

The change is occuring in Exporters and other scripts which would probably occur in runtime.
Rather than solve how to get mathematics working in the scripting language, I am switching over to DLLs.
APE will use B3d's CallDLL command (or something similar) to access and pass information with Exporter DLLs, allowing for far more flexibility and ease of use for the whole system.

I have run a quick test which seems to work...
CallDLL is a pain to use, and I am currently looking around for an alternative. I will also now have to develop an APE Plugin Library or something like that for the DLL end. The whole thing, as with all plugin systems, will have to be very strict.

Other advanced program functionality is possible under the same system such as moving the planned object visualization scripts into a DLL, and performing fancy config package specific operations on objects during run-time :)
This may also more easily open up for making APE a 2d/3d editor... and maybe eventually 4d if I'm stupid enough.

It will be a pain, but well worth it in the end.

Surfaces Are Gone!(Posted 2006-05-10)
Wow... it's been a long time. Over 6 months, in fact.

Yep, I'm still here. That tippy platform physics game got me digging in APE's source code for my convex hull code, so I decided to work on stuff while I was at it.
I still need this program, anyway; it will make a fantastic level editor, I hope.

Reflecting my obsession with making this program into a totally open, scriptable editor, I am now removing the Surfaces object type.

It will be replaced with a more complex system in which scripts define Variable Sets; collections of variables which can be accessed by any number of other objects (thus being quite different from regular variables tacked onto objects).
These are the same Variables as used everywhere else, but they are able to coexist without getting in eachother's way since the seperate linked lists do not connect with eachother, thus achieving two chains of the same Type object.
Of course, we can also have more than one type of variable sets; we can have a surface set, a sound set... whatever :P
All will carry the pinkish icon.

The system should easily be robust enough for these variable sets to be used in a number of ways by the exporter scripts.
Since any object type can easily be iterated through, the exporter can just iterate through Variable Sets and decide what to call. It could be a command to create new type instances, set variables in an object, or even create a new Tokamak phyics engine surface as before.

A cool thing here is that some things which I originally expected to be requiring scripts to do is actually possible with the systems already in place. As an obvious example, object variables can be stored in Variable Sets, but be translated entirely into just variables being assigned to a single object in the final export. (Err... that made no sense).

Telling a variables script to have a variable that is actually a pointer to a variable set remains easy. (In fact, probably easier than before).

Now all I have left to fix up in the unification department is the funny selection modes... I wonder if I could throw in a 2d editor...
I guess the selection modes can be fixed up with object type scripts, as described below, where I could create 3d physics geometries through a script instead of hardcoding them.

Figuring out LUA is getting more and more tempting.

The added unification and abolishment of anything directly related to physics engines (that will be in the Physics Package, hopefully) has justified a name change, of course.
Maybe I'll think of a real name, for once? A few have crossed my mind... the most tempting one so far was quickly forgotten. It was pretty good, though.

In other news...(Posted 2006-04-02)
In other news, ghDownload has hit the can, and was then snuffed out by a pile of mashed corn with chocolatey cabbage sauce (a vaguely similar idea).
Why?
Well... let's just say... it isn't what Grasshopper is, and I wouldn't support it well enough to make it a sensible content delivery mechanism. There are better things out there for those looking for such an application :)

I will clean it up a bit and transform it into nice, clean example code. Then, any adventurous lad could play around with it if he wanted... and perhaps even make something of it.

There will still be quite a few options available for plugin installation, though; one of which may be a more strict downloader. (Download-specific this time, no fancy OSA-kit style stuff). Perhaps it will end up having the same name as ghDownload, so sorry if I confuse anyone.

I have been recently exploring ways to completely eliminate the need to pass ghEmdedder a window handle, because the window handle of the main app (son of ghMain; aka. the Blitz program) could perhaps be retrieved by ghMain early enough...

Okay, that does it!!(Posted 2006-03-28)
Yep, I'm still working on this. My other mysteriously fantastically amazing game project will be making use of both Grasshopper (simple shortcut to playing email games or the like) and APE (level editor, once it's pummelled with scripts)... so good news to anyone who has been hoping that I finish these some day (if there is anyone...), and bad news to anyone who wants to play that game in the next year.
The fact that that game is not intended to be freeware will definietly improve the development time of these two tools.

After a little detour, I finally have good news rolling in!
I am almost ready to make extensive modifications to PluginHostCtrl, in order to hardcode it as a full alternative plugin specifically for Grasshopper under IE. The window messages being sent to its child window ( ghMain.dll (Woohoo! I'm still with it :P (as you can see, I'm back to my irritating multiple brackets thing (as though one set of them wasn't bad enough))) ) ... the window messages being sent to its child window will be (as usual...) stolen by the new PluginHostCtrl, I will code the responses directly using ActiveX's own interface instead of whatever is broken in the handling of functions called by the NPAPI plugin, and all will be well until this thing goes open-source and someone breaks something.

A wise choice(Posted 2006-02-18)
Internet Explorer support for advanced functionality has been yanked, until the day that Microsoft has a stroke of intelligence and puts back NPAPI plugin support, or a generous person fixes ActiveX in Grasshopper. Or I fix it.

A bit of a shame, but it had to be done.

I will keep my eyes open for other ways to talk to IE. I may still be able to hard-code a fix here.

Also, in a true stroke of genius, I seem to have killed the messaging system that used to work after recompiling ghMain... so I will fix that and then deal with my new-found self-hatred by inconveniencing other people in CS:S. If you wish to join me, I generally play in "Seatle Alpha-Kilo", IP:209.247.83.40:27015. Perhaps we can transform it into the unofficial North America Blitz CS Server.

8:30pm
Okay, never mind the canning IE support part. The function to check what web browser we are running under also causes PluginHostCtrl to crash IE... so it's going to be all or nothing.

I fixed the messaging system, by the way. I had modified some constants shared between ghMain and ghEmbedder02, and I never recompiled ghEmbedder.

I know what's going wrong!!(Posted 2006-02-18)
I have performed many, many, many tests on PluginHostCtrl in an attempt to figure out what is going wrong with it when I call special functions from ghEmbedder.
I believe that the problem is as follows:
ghEmbedder.dll sends a window message, using WM_COPYDATA, to its parent window. (The window belonging to ghMain.dll).
Unlike Firefox, something in Internet Explorer is being rather picky here, and either PluginHostCtrl is using the WM_COPYDATA message as well and screws up when it recieves mine, PluginHostCTRL doesn't like recieving messages that don't belong to it, or something in the deep expanses of IE doesn't like my WM_COPYDATA messages.
Either way, the message is definietly never going to the right place, which means that the crash is occuring in something's window message handler. Presumably, Firefox sends messages destined for plugins downwards to the plugin, while IE steals them. (Hmm... Parents taking advantage of their Children?).

Okay, that's all good. I could probably fix it, right?!
The problem? I have no idea where, physically, the message handler actually is!
(Why can't all programs just be the same?)

So... the first thing I am going to do is explore other, equally comfortable ways to communicate between two processes and see if IE panics with them. I may be able to just stick to the same technique, but send window messages to a hidden window that Internet Explorer doesn't know about. This will be a bit tricky, because the window will have to be nicely obscured so that IE has no idea that it exists, but it shouldn't negatively affect the speed of anything.
If that doesn't work, I will make a few more hopeless attempts to make PluginHostCtrl behave (assuming that it is the source of my problems, which it probably is).
If that doesn't work, I'll finish these nice features for NP-API browsers, turn them off when running under PluginHostCtrl, release the update, release the source, and hope that some other genius fixes the problem for the good of humanity.

There is one good thing to come of this. In the next IE vs. Firefox argument, I can explain that I hate IE because it cost me 6 weeks of my life.

6:00pm
Okay, I was wrong :(
It turns out now that the messaging system is not at fault... which is good and bad. Bad, because now I have absolutely no idea where in this infernal source code the problem could possibly be (it's not where it should be!), and good because I can stick with the same messaging system.

Stability at last(Posted 2006-01-16)
The previous problem, sadly, (and fortunately), was not Messenger's fault. In fact, it can only be blamed on myself.

100 MessageBoxes later (did I mention that it's impossible to run this thing in a debugger?), I figured out the problem! It's really sad, too.
I noticed that the const char* variable being passed to the other program was not being cut off properly, thus causing it to read a bunch of text after it as gobbledygoop. While the whole debugging process and lessons learned was very interesting, I'm sure you won't want to read about it. I had to add +1 to the length of the text in the cbData parameter of COPYDATASTRUCT, because if I don't, the NULL character is shaved off so the string could go on forever. Windows does some stuff to my structure when I send the message, so it was rather awkward to find the problem.

Now, I'm really going to add those other features.
I have decided to support NSIS (NullSoft Install System) as the system that Grasshopper will automatically create install scripts for, and I am also still thinking of doing a nice external program that any decent installer could call to put a plugin in the right place.

It's all coming together! Quite literally, too :)

Jan. 19/06
I'm gradually adding new functions now. I just added the ability to open new web pages through the browser (with a target just like in HTML). I am looking at what is involved with a ghMoveWindow function...

There seem to be annoying incompatibilities with Internet Explorer and pluginhostctrl.dll which cause a crash. (Apparently, pluginhostctrl does not yet simulate NPAPI's streams and statusbar stuff... Let's hope IE 7 starts using Gecko again, or I'll have to rewrite this thing with ActiveX!)

Good and bad news, as always(Posted 2006-01-15)
I now have a working status bar message thing going on in the "Tanx" example. Pretty fun stuff :)

Unfortunately, my messaging system is recieving interference from none other than MSN Messenger! Messages do not appear to be recieved by ghMain. This could be a problem that lies either in my code (pehaps I called SendMessage wrong) or with Messenger itself. The idea of Messenger being responsible for this interference isn't too hard to believe, since the program is spanned across many windows and probably tries to be modular. I will need to review my source code, submit a few queries to various forums, and see if this really is Messenger's fault. It would be swell if it was, because I despise the thing.

2:15pm
Okay, unfortunately, there are also a lot of other unreliable details, so I will have to assume that the memory being sent to ghMain has not been properly done, and/or the SendMessage function isn't getting window handles properly.
Too bad... I was looking forward to blasting Messenger!

4:00pm
Okay, I admit. The last 2 hours was spent playing Counter-Strike... not programming.
I had a sudden realization after being turfed 30 times, which is that the NPAPI commands ask for a plugin instance. This, of course, would imply that these commands can be called externally! This may solve all the my problems! (Or maybe it won't).

Messaging is operational!(Posted 2006-01-12)
Program messaging is now fully operational using the window message WM_COPYDATA.
There is no actual functionality done, but I have performed a successful test in which data was sent from the plugin to ghMain and back! At the moment, all it does is send a message to ghMain, then ghMain pops a MessageBox up and responds.
Good thing it's the weekend soon. All I have to do is survive tomorrow and then I'll have a nice bunch of programming to amuse myself with on the weekend. And a release. Hopefully.

This is getting surprisingly compilcated now, and I'm glad that I have some sort of naming convention going on. The Grasshopper package now uses 4 external tools for plugin creation and the updater, ghMain (PluginBase), ghEmbedder, and ghDownload. All of these last 3 programs will soon be able to work together simultaneously. I am pleased to be able to state that every single program involved is perfectly synchronized with the other.

I am poking at getting an automatic embedder going with ghEmbedder. I hope to allow the option to get process information about the main program, thus allowing it to perform the embedding operation with very minimal developer input. This functionality will definietly exist in ghDownload.
The messaging stuff will also remove the need for a command line to be passed to send plugin arguments, which means that not only will the main program no longer need to pass its very nonstandard command-line to ghEmbedder, but it will also allow for more arguments to be safely passed to the plugin.

I could even completely remove the need for the developer to grab his program's own window handle to pass to ghEmbedder, because this information could be collected by ghMain.

Regarding some inconsistency... "The Main Program", "Your Program", and some times even, foolishly, "The Plugin" are all the program created by the developer that is transformed into a web plugin by Grasshopper.

Communication with plugin will have to happen soon...(Posted 2006-01-08)
It seems that, in order to get this downloader working nicely with relative paths to files and good download speeds, I will need to start looking at communication between the program and its plugin (the part that can talk to the web browser).

Hopefully this will allow for the user to easily set up Streams, which are used to download web content for the plugin to use. This includes files being linked to by the SRC parameter, as well as entire web pages that were linked to by an Anchor tag.

The current methods which I have considered are:
--Window messages (WM_COPYDATA)
--Messages sent through a file in the Temp directory
--Messages sent through an array shared between two programs. I doubt that this is possible, and if it is, I doubt that it will work. It would be nice though.

With the addition of this feature, I will begin to make the Netscape Plugin API easily available for the developer. This includes sending all sorts of messages back to the web browser such as to download files, display web pages (in a new window, a particular frame, or even the plugin's own window), or even to send mail.
How many of these features will be added, I am not yet sure. Hopes are high, though!

Note that, since these features would be slightly more... uhm... competitive... than the other stuff, I will be perhaps looking at a "Donate Now and Recieve" type thing, or actually going for a payed-for code library.

Thankfully, Grasshopper's nature would make it quite interesting as a paid-for thing. I could release the entire general plugin stuff would be free software, with the ability to communicate with ghEmbedder.dll. The only thing that has to actually be bought then is the ghEmbedder.dll that can use this communication system.

Of course, this will only happen if I am certain that I have done a perfect job, though. It gives me the shivers when I release free software that isn't perfect. (And speaking of which, this doesn't mean that APE is gone).

This should all prove to be rather interesting... if I don't start trying to kill my computer first.

January 9/06
Scratch the chance of going pay thing. I had a bit of thought and eventually decided that it's better to just go for free, since I'm likely to be developing an open source project with this system anyway.
I'm about to go for it... just need to prepare myself for the next step. I am testing a new option for ghDownload, which is AutoEmbed. This option will make ghDownload attempt to use Windows's Process commands to embed your program itself, instead of making you do it.
I'm also looking at moving ghDownload straight to C++, but this may be a bad idea. (Not that I think C++ is less powerful, but because I know that I am less powerful with C++). Once I have streams working, the hard part (file downloading) will be done, so the chances of me doing that are a bit better.

I appear to have found the shared memory system that I need... now time to see if Windows complains! (In about 6 hours)

ghDownload is going well(Posted 2006-01-07)
The ghDownload Plugin is going very nicely. So far, a person can easily use the ghDownload plugin as a technique to very quickly install and execute web plugins on demand.
All of the main elements work to a decent extent so far. It will download and extract a .gh file (or .zip, .z, or anything else 7-zip understands) into its own directory and execute the program contained within it as requested through a simple little information file. The system also stores downloads, so the same file will never need to be downloaded twice unless its information file states that it should be.

I am current encountering weird incompatibilities with Internet Explorer. Something to do with what directory my program is being booted in, I expect.

It looks like ghDownload can also act as a fantastic installer. So, once I've written my installer for ghDownload, I will see about making it smaller (currently it's a Blitz3d program... maybe I can port it over to BMax), and perhaps registering it. With those two steps completed, it could act as an excellent way to download and install a web plugin with (quite honestly) the press of a button. Of course, this could easily be made into the press of 2 or 3 buttons, depending on whether you're using an installer with license information and such.

After that, I will try my best to make it clear how this installer of mine works so that others could write their own installers if need be. I will also write a quick command-line utility... or maybe a DLL... or both... that places files in the correct directory or returns the plugins directory in which to place files.

Sadly, I am also doing this around a bunch of other stuff, including a very stylish (behind the scenes, anyway) web site, so it will take a while.

I also need to build a ghDownload section into the main program. Shouldn't be too hard...

Version 0.3 Out!(Posted 2005-12-29)
I managed to hold back my common sense for about 5 minutes and release it.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=54824

Now, if all has gone well, I'm going to work on something else for a little while until the way across my next problem is found.

Internet Explorer is in! Again!(Posted 2005-12-27)
Fully working in IE... writing a little plugin registering script, an HTML file creator, and redoing my interface for the plugin creator to use a treeview instead of a bunch of text boxes.

The problem was silly, and it was easily fixed when I got back to programming.

Once again, this may be released today... unless I decide to add something else.

Features missing from version 0.3:
-Plugin installer maker - There will be a tutorial in the help file for this, though.
-Cabinet file maker for automatic installation via some web browsers. (Better than installer maker)
-Direct communication with the web browser through ghMain.dll (the "real" plugin). I hope to achieve this in order to open up room for the huge number of options made available by NPAPI. Since I always feel a bit bad about knowingly writing constantly to someone's hard drive, this will be done through either windows messages, absurdly fancy DLL stuff, or a few arrays shared between the programs... perhaps with its address passed by the command line. My thoughts are currently leaning towards the last one, but may change once I see how much is involved.

Thankfully, the updater can be used to get improvements to the program, so there is nothing to worry about!

Internet Explorer is in!(Posted 2005-12-26)
IE support is done. Almost.

The problem was, as always, very simple. It was figured out through the addition of a mile of Message Boxes added to my source code.

A plugin booted through PluginHostCtrl appears to have its app path as wherever the HTML page is, instead of the directory in which the web browser exists. This is a problem, but it's fixable... somehow. I think I was using a rather cheesy method to get the plugin's directory anyway. There's probably a better way.

It's all ready... now some finishing goodies(Posted 2005-12-23)
The window positioning bug was fixed. It was a very stupid mistake, as I suspected. I was looking in all the wrong places for 90 minutes. The problem was that I had foolishly placed a "static" thingy to the declaration for the ghGetValue function in a desperate and knowingly useless attempt to fix a bug which I then forgot to remove. Of course, this ended up with me getting the same result if I called the function twice. (Thus, window height was the same as window width).

Very dumb mistake.

I also added two new functions to ghEmbedder.dll, allowing for the user to create/change/whatever their application window even after calling ghInit(). The other function allows for the absurd technique of grabbing a program's window handle by its window name.

New functions are:
ghSetEmbedWindow_hWnd(hWnd%)
ghSetEmbedWindow_name(name$)

I originally intended to not have Internet Explorer support until the next version, but since it's so easy to do I should just do it right now for first impressions. The only hard part is downloading the control that I need...

Unfortunately, the writing of installers is still going to be a manual process... I have a few useful links with regards to that in the documentation, and links regarding how to register a plugin's MIME type.
Don't worry! It is possible and accepted to have a plugin with an unregistered MIME type; in fact, many professional plugins like Quicktime do this.

I am not aiming for a Christmas release. The reason for that is because everyone else is, and so this would get lost in the turmoil. Consequently, I am aiming for a Dec. 24 release. Either that or Dec. 26... unless, miraculously, nobody does anything on the 25th and I'm actually done.

Still some work to do. I have to add ActiveX support, which will then require me to improve the automatic HTML page generator... I may as well also add in a "non-registered MIME type" option that puts "x-" before MIME types. Maybe I'll simplify it even more by having seperate fields for Major and Minor type. I'm still aiming for less than two weeks from last...

Dec. 24
Well, it looks like this control is giving me more trouble than I thought. Right now, it is installed properly and the control itself works, but it is not executing some plugins. Thankfully, this problem is happening to a few test plugins (which should work), so I'm guessing that whatever is going wrong is not my fault. Which really only makes things worse, but I can probably fix this somehow. If worse comes to worse, I'll just write a conversion to ActiveX. There isn't much to change.

Unfortunately, finding the ActiveX SDK is an impossible task with the most likely place being blocked by a message on MSDN telling me that they've merged sections of their site, but not actually leading me onwards to the content that I requested.
I do not see how anyone can possibly prefer these things over Netscape Gecko.

Just a little side note:
I bothered to put a bloody version number on my DLLs -- a complicated task that has barely ever been achieved before. It was very hard... it involved clicking twice slowly on my compiled DLLs, and typing 030 onto the end.
What does this mean? ghEmbedder.dll and other Grasshopper DLLs are some of the few DLLs in the entire known universe that actually take measures to avoid screwing things up.

Documentation is done!(Posted 2005-12-22)
The documentation is finished!
There are a few horrible parts, so I will keep this here for a while before I release. I also need to sort out web browser compatibility in my documentation. To put it simply, the docs are not idiot-proof. I may just release them as-is, though, and watch people suffer in the hopes that they will contribute meaningful, useful input into how better to explain things because I'm really bad at explanations. I tried to fix how I tend to explain things incomprehensibly by adding a "how it works" section so that people have a better idea of my constantly changing lingo, but I don't think it help quite enough. Since it's free and open source software, though, and I dont have a "donate" button anywhere, I don't think it would be much to ask for a few people to help me with documentation.

There is also still an easy to fix error in ghEmbedder.dll...

The the mean time, I just built the web page:
http://crumbsoftware.f2o.org/index.php?p=products/grasshopper/
The news is all lies... that was just for a test of my updater.

That's the first time I have actually used my web site's PHP stuff that I made a while ago to create a new section, and it was miraculously easy!

I added an Internet updater and news viewer to the main program... very fun to get stuff like that working. The process of checking for an update is rather simplistic, but I think it works fine. It just downloads the 3 byte verinfo file from the web site, and if it has a bigger number then it needs to update. It's not nearly as annoying as various others, because it neither forces you to update nor pesters you with an annoying popup message saying "Hey, look at me! I was released as an unfinished product so they had to FIX ME AFTER!" In fact, it's completely up to the user to even check for an update!

The rest of the updater is also pretty neat. Theoretically, I could put every single program file onto my web space, make note of them in the program, and then if the executable was moved to a blank directory it would be able to sort itself out and reinstall every single other missing file with absolutely no user interaction beyond hitting "Download All Missing Files."

Of course, that functionality isn't entirely in here, as it's just used to download external tools whose licenses required me to download directly from their web site... but I may put it somewhere else eventually. A self-repairing installation seems like an extremely useful thing to have.

Another cool thing: It is possible to download two, three, or even more files at once. It simply pauses the other download until the new one finishes. The reason why that is so cool is because I didn't have to do anything for it -- it just happened. I love that.

Very cool stuff.

After this project, I am going to return to APE, but I'll also be working on a game, currently titled "The Orb Game." I won't say much more beyond that, other than that 95% of it is completely unique. And when I say completely, I don't mean like the war under the sea game being completely unique because it's under the sea. This is unique.

Anyway, back the Grasshopper Web Plugin System...

I didn't lie, because it's not my fault.(Posted 2005-12-21)
Excellent news on the recent problems with the plugin failing to initialize.
After a lot of random fiddling, I have learned that the problems with the dll modification operation are that the tools which I am using are counteracting eathother. (The resource editor appears to kill the useability of the DLL, while the Hex editor appears to destroy... or maybe damage... resource information). Since there is no way that these programs would do this normally, this must be my fault. Maybe they don't like DLLs.

The end result for any editing (even done manually), seems to be that the DLL no longer runs at all. The resource file on it is still found by web browsers, which is weird. This is a setback, but hopefully not too much. If worse comes to worse, I'll use a c++ compiler to recompile the DLL.

Thankfully, I have a very cool, idiot-proof, missing file replacing, tools system... I hope to turn it into a sort of an easy to use installer framework over time... and some nice script files that I can edit in notepad without touching real code. Modular software is fun.

Now to read over some help files.

Whatever the problem is, I'm hoping to be able to fix it all in one single move. Maybe I will change the DLL to find out what file to execute through its resource script.

In a recent revelation, I have made ghEmbedder completely seperate from Grasshopper's main browser-end DLL. This is useful, because it means that it can be used for performing the (admittedly simple) operation on anything. Both DLLs weigh in at about 60KB each. It is also useful because it means far less fiddling for everyone.

2:15 PM
Problem solved! I set the FileToExecute string to have a size of _MAX_PATH (thus less potential of messing up when altered externally), and then changed it from a constant to extern. I have no idea what that did other than what I learned from a quick peek at the Visual Studio documentation, but I'm sure that whatever it was didn't break anything.

I also changed my hex editor script to not use replaceall by the command line as the method to change the filepath. This works.

Now I just have to sort out window positioning and my tutorial on the writing of an installer.

It's done... almost(Posted 2005-12-19)
3 entries in one day, and a fourth to come soon.
Maybe I shouldn't have started this worklog. It's so exciting, though!!

Here is my now fully working .decls file, with only one tiny little bit of complexity (grabbing window handle):
.lib "ghEmbedder.dll"

ghInit(childHWnd%,args$)
ghGetArg$(argn$)
ghEmbedWindow%()
ghQuit%()

Now I'm going to fix docs, which will then be 20 times easier to both read and understand, figure out how to get this app plugging into the dll that embedded it instead of the one in the userlibs folder, improve the main Grasshopper Plugin Maker function so that it isn't stupid, write a program downloader sample, (to demonstrate that this is the same as the others, except a bit more flexible), and hopefully release today or tomorrow!!!

Confirmed: Documentation for the program embedding section is 34 lines long. I'm going to bed. Just have two sections to go... and a bit of sifting and sorting.

Invisible music player demo has been made.

I'm surprised how large this has become... the main directory is 53 MB. It appears to all be the work of precompiled header files and such, though, so no worries.
Real file size at the moment is about 8MB... I probably have some excess compiled code in there.
There appear to be some window alignment issues, and strange last-minute issues involving it just not wanting to work...

December 20/05
Right after I fix everything else, I seem to have broken the pluginbase dll... It looks like this is something gone wrong on the C++ end of things. The plugin is simply not initializing - no error message or anything, though. I'm still aiming for a short release.
It looks as though the problem has to do with my integration into the web browser. Heck, maybe it's the HTML tester page itself :)

Success!(Posted 2005-12-19)
I now have an application correctly starting up and embedding itself within its parent window through a DLL.

Now the hard part... parsing arguments and returning them as strings :(

It's definietly easier to use now; what used to be 6 lines of code and 80 lines of very poorly written documentation is now 1 line of code and 1 line of docs :)

Currently have two dll functions for Blitz: ghQuit() (tells app when to quit) and ghEmbedWindow(). Now all I need for now is ghCollectArgs() and ghGetArg(). Perhaps also a ghInit() so the programmer doesn't have to pass it window handles all the time. (Though it barely matters, and means for a slower release...)

DLLs are quite fun, actually. When they work...

The ultimate solution to Documentation!(Posted 2005-12-18)
I managed to stop myself from turning my signature into a worklog by just posting my progress here.

So, you may have noticed that Grasshopper did not come out 4 days ago like I said. The reason for that is because I have gone through many frantic revisions of the documentation in a hopeless attempt to make this thing more user friendly.

Then I realized: It would be easier to just finish the next version, which pops the whole thing into a single DLL, than to write the documentation for this version. So, version 0.2 will not be released, but 0.3 will. Hopefully soon... Developement here is quite slow because a single test requires that I compile a DLL, write a selfembedder, plug the DLL into that selfembedder, and then run it all through a web browser.

So, what does it all do?
Grasshopper gives you the ability to easily produce advanced, highly customizable, web browser plugins which are executed automatically, whenever needed, directly within a web browser. Its unique behaviour opens up a myriad of possibilities; audio playback, 3d file format viewing, image viewers, PDF viewers... etc.
Grasshopper is different from other tools like it, because it allows for you to set your own MIME types/file extension settings for your plugins, it is free, and it has room for future extensions to recieve functions from a JavaScript on a web page.

This is a screenshot of the main Grasshopper executable... doing... just about everything it does:

It does very believeable fake multithreading - that embedded app tester is running at the precise same time as the external tool downloader, the downloader's web browser, and the plugin creator (though nobody notices that one because it's a practically instant process).
The entire program is powered by plain Blitz3d with WinBlitz and a single external DLL for embedding Internet Explorer. I'm quite pleased with it.

So far, for the DLL support, I have encountered a bit of progress and a bit of bother.
For the progress part: I actually figured out how to write a Blitz-compatible DLL :)
It's turned out to be quite easy. So far, the DLL will embed the Blitz runtime window within a requested parent window and then it goes on to make a failed attempt at repositioning it and changing its window styles.
The bother: When Blitz accesses the DLL, it will be probably be a totally different instance than the one accessed by the web browser, so I will need to figure out some clever way to communicate between the web browser instance of the DLL and the Blitz program, while using the Blitz program's instance of the DLL to do stuff.
I may be completely wrong, though.

Camera controls(Posted 2005-10-17)
I had fun today with tweeking the control scheme.
APE is now the first program I have ever used which features super camera tilting powers!

It was a nice way to relax from the green colour of strings that my code has taken on of late... It's pretty cool how one can tell what section of a program they're viewing based on the colours that the IDE displays it with. (I only just noticed after all these years)

So... This is probably how the camera controls will stay:
"F12" to switch camera modes
"R" to reset camera
Orbit Mode:
---Right click to orbit camera (wings3d-inspired)
---"A" to move camera pivot to a point (wings3d-inspired)
---Middle click to zoom camera (mouse forward & backward) and tilt camera (mouse left and right)
---Mouse wheel and NumPad + and - zooms in and out
Free-flight Mode:
---WASD camera movement
---MouseLook, usually
---Right click to freeze camera
---Middle click to tilt camera
---Shift to move quickly

As you can see, I'm quite proud of this little configuration, and I hope to see it used in every single other program existent.

Why did I post this? Worklogs are fun. I highly recommend that you start one.
Try to keep your images on the same web server though. (grumblings at legion.gibbering.net, which I previously used...)

A good day(Posted 2005-10-12)
Today was a good day. A very good day, in fact.

Behold, the box!
I haven't said much about advanced stuff like water lately. No worries though, I just had to sort out how it will work under the new interface. The user will be able to create dummy objects (boxes, usually), to which can be assigned all sorts of variables, such as if it is physics engine water (which could be dealt with properly by an exporter for a physics engine such as Meqon, for instance).
These dummy objects will have different creation methods, as determined by yet another script file. When they come about, there will be a great deal of turmoil as I put geometries into the system. All will go in place of where the geometry editor currently is, with the simple addition of a single dropdown selection box.

I have nearly finished writing the docs for the variables scripts system to the extent that they will act as a guideline for myself. Once again, I feel comfortable, because finally I, too, hate writing docs.

Now, why was today in particular a good day?
I have completed the interpreter for the variables scripts system.
It's always a great feeling when code just pops together mechanically with minimal effort -- as though it programmed itself.
That happened here. My script interpreter was finished much more quickly than expected because every variables list for every object is treated the exact same. The template vars lists, after being read from the variable scripts, are saved to an array of types. That is when I was really amazed. I thought I still had loads of work ahead, but, in fact, all that needs to be done to assign a list to an object is to duplicate the variables connected to the template chain into the actual object's variables chain. Wonderfully perfectly easy. Not to mention, quite fast! It's also a great feeling when I can talk about my code and it sounds like a foreign language to everyone but me. A fine sense of completion. I can now safely say that APE is half finished!
I will never doubt open-ended programming again!

Still have a bit of work to do, such as combo box selections for variables in the scripts, and the automatic variables, and other stuff... but that's all relatively straight-forward. After that comes the new geometry editor.

Oh, and I should have done this one earlier:

This is the structure of the different objects in my program. I did this after I realized that I was referring to entities as objects and objects as entities. Don't ask why entities are called entities and not meshes. Ever.
The answer to that question may come five years after version 1.

A test version of the program may appear once I have the variables scripts complete. It will not be an operable program, but it will be useful to have people (hopefully) playing with the scripting language, thus uncovering any bugs which I would not have found because I go too easy on my interpreter :)

Oh, and a bit of bad/good news. I was reminded today that people usually need to take breaks from projects... I think I'm one of them. I am going to tweak APE a bit more so that I can get back into it easily when I return in a while, and I am going to work on two other projects: SW3d (a program that I have a log for and which may become an important part of APE, among other things), and "The Orb Game" (a proper working title), which I have mentioned a few times... I have to start it up soon because I'm already designing too much.

Light at the end of the tunnel(Posted 2005-08-05)
I've cured my recent obsession with GTA San Andreas by deciding that I hate it.
I have also done a surprisingly effective chunk of work since the last time I posted in this log.

-To start off, the program now uses Windows XP Themesupport, which makes it look 20 times nicer.

-I also gave the program a more uniform feel by adding a heirarchy into the Objects treeview, in which the user can quickly bring up and modify Scenes, Groups, Meshes, Surfaces, and even Geometries! Along with this nice tree system, I did some beautifying with my first ever image strip, which is clearly visible as the only bit of colour in the image. It turned out somewhat like the look that Google uses, which is good.

-The side bar is now on the left, because when it was on the right, I had to reposition it whenever the window was resized.

-I decided to use the default font for text boxes, even though, for me, it is big and bold. This was probably the right decision.

-The positions window is no longer in the sidebar, which means that the program will be useable at a lower screen resolution. The GUI was also cleverly designed so that I could, at any time, decide to make any of those other windows floating as well. I would be very grateful if someone gave me code to do dockable and undockable windows with WinBlitz :)

-The variables system is Finished! Now, to make it fully operational, I actually have to create the variables part of the interfaces system in order to make it all work perfectly. The system allows for variables, which are stored in linked lists, to be assigned to anything. Since it is rather useful, I was careful to make the variables module easy to integrate into other projects. There is a tiny bit that simply needs to be removed, which is part of the program's GUI. (I think the GUI has become the most common topic in this worklog...).

-I have managed to stop the close button from closing the window. Believe it or not, this is progress!

-I now have surfaces working again -- And better than ever! (Thanks to the variables system)

-Geometry creation and selection mode changing is back in. Currently can only create boxes, because I haven't yet created the geometry creation window. The geometry creation interface will recieve a bit of fiddling anyways. Basically, geometries are created as before but can also have their shape and size changed at any time (even by using the selected faces).

-I have a working right-click menu in the Objects list. (Thanks for the help, WinBlitz guy!).

-Objects can be deleted via the Objects list. (:D)

Just a quick report on the web site end as well:
You may have seen my excited post about having transformed my web site to PHP. This also means that the APE section is fully operational. A forum section has also been set up for the program, and its purpose will become clear with the next release.
While writing this log I added a totally awesome random logo thingy. I have two logo designs, and 6 colours for each one :) http://crumbsoftware.f2o.org/
The logo in that particular position is actually just a stand-in for an eventual random content or daily progress screenshot thing.

Recent Developments(Posted 2005-06-22)
Note: "APOE" is now officially renamed to "APE".

At last, I have finished work on the new GUI!
After two days trying in vain to solve the same irritating problem, I found a solution that required two lines of code and a bit of indenting. I hate it when that happens!

Anyway, here it is:

As you can see, it looks very slimmed down compared to the old look. This is due to a very useful change in the way that the program works, and also because sidebars are cool.
The new GUI is now compatible with all screen resolutions!

Now, all that remains is transporting my old program, along with the BlitzUI commands, into the new framework. That will be a very irritating process, but should only take a day. Actually, it's kind of fun to do in some ways, once all the problems are cleared up, because features seem to suddenly appear out of nowhere.
After that, it's back to the exporters and interface scipts...

I realized after looking at my screenshots directory, that it has been a year and one day since I got convex hulls working in my program. While this is in numerous ways a very sad thing that it has taken me so long, I am also very proud to have managed to stick to one thing for so long. After the next update, and once joints are in, I'll be working on other projects which have been haunting me with happy dreams for the last year and a half that I have worked on APE.

About that one month late release guess... Don't trust anything by me that says "Done in two weeks"... But it's definietly around two weeks now.

Note: (July 2, 2005) I'm still standing by two weeks and a bit for merging the two programs, but it's taking longer than I expected... I didn't realize how hard-coded it all was. So, while I smash APE (the new program) and APOE (the old program) together, I'm going to work at cleaning up the source code.

Interfaces(Posted 2005-05-20)
Well, my plan to slowly back myself out while making everyone happy is almost complete.
I'm having so much fun with the exporter scripts (now featuring very basic If statements), that I am going to also start work on interface files. Interfaces will allow for people to more easily customize the naming of various parts of the program, and the existence/nonexistence of certain things, to better suit particular physics engines. Interfaces will also feature a simple and yet very flexible variable system (like every respectable level building application has), through which attributes like Mass and Handle are set, as well as any other custom variables (including, obviously the ability to have totally non-physics related variables assigned on a per-entity basis). The variable system will later be well aware of when Blitz types are used for variables, and attempt (but only if it will succeed every time) to ensure that all Types work properly on export.

Along with the much-needed variable system and (later) interfaces, will be a total GUI overhaul.
Why overhaul the GUI already? I realized, to my horror, that the program only seems to look decent at or above 1280x1024 screen resolution. And, the entity properties menu would be horribly out of place and inconsistent if things were more efficiently and uniformly organized in the entity variable list.
I will likely decide on a sidebar GUI. Because this wouldn't be too complicated, I may even go for a win32 job, to better appeal to a wide array of people.

But first: Exporters. Coming soon - ETA: Monday.
My ETAs are probably proper now, by the way. Probably.
Update is probably the Monday after (May 30th)

It's all coming together very snugly now! I can almost justify working on something else at the same time at last...

Also note: I am well aware that capsules have been wrecked again. (They end up being too small). They will take a while to fix, because that will not be until the auto-resize-to-rotation function is done (though it shouldn't take too much longer).

Complications have arisen: The update would be ready by now, but I have decided to make the new loader scripts system immeadiately connected with the variable system, which is hard-coded to my GUI, which is encountering many of those irritating little problems that we always seem to get with Windows.

Exporter Scripts in progress...(Posted 2005-05-10)
This is the final version of the APOE exporter script file.
The help file isn't done yet, but will be made right after the code is finished.
(Note: As I test this system, I will probably put a file loader/saver in to save myself time, so that is likely to be in the next update as well)

//APOE default exporter
//See ExporterHelp for info

/Functions
<RBCount> = TOKSIM_SetRigidBodiesCount [nRBs]
<ABCount> = TOKSIM_SetAnimatedBodiesCount [nABs]
<GeomCount> = TOKSIM_SetGeometriesCount [nGeoms]
<SimCreate> = TOKSIM_CreateSimulator([sGravX],[sGravY],[sGravZ])

<SurfaceCreate> = TOKSIM_SetMaterial [sMatIndex],[sFriction],[sRestitution] ;Material: [sName]

<RB_Create> 			[eHandle]=TOKRB_Create()
<RB_Position> 			TOKRB_SetPosition [eHandle],x#,y#,z# ;For this version of APOE, you must set positions manually
<RB_Rotation> 			TOKRB_SetRotation [eHandle],pitch#,yaw#,roll# ;For this version of APOE, you must set positions manually
<RB_LinearDamping> 		TOKRB_SetLinearDamping [eHandle],[eLinearDamping]
<RB_AngularDamping> 		TOKRB_SetAngularDamping [eHandle],[eAngularDamping]
<RB_SetMass> 			TOKRB_SetMass [eHandle],[eMass]

<RB_BoxInertiaTensor> 		TOKRB_SetBoxInertiaTensor [eHandle],[eTensorWidth],[eTensorHeight],[eTensorDepth],[eMass]
<RB_CylinderInertiaTensor>	TOKRB_SetCylinderInertiaTensor [eHandle],[eTensorDiameter],[eTensorDepth],[eMass]
<RB_SphereInertiaTensor> 	TOKRB_SetSphereInertiaTensor [eHandle],[eTensorDiameter],[eMass]

<RB_AddBox> 			[gHandle Equals Default="Geom"]TOKRB_AddBox([eHandle],[gWidth],[gHeight],[gDepth])
<RB_AddCapsule> 		[gHandle Equals Default="Geom"]TOKRB_AddCylinder([eHandle],[gDiameter],[gDepth])
<RB_AddSphere> 			[gHandle Equals Default="Geom"]TOKRB_AddSphere([eHandle],[gDiameter])
<RB_AddCHull>			CHull = LoadConvex([gCHullFile])
<RB_AddCHull>			TOKRB_AddConvex([eHandle],cHull,BankSize(cHull))

<AB_Create> 			[eHandle]=TOKAB_Create()
<AB_Position> 			TOKAB_SetPosition [eHandle],x#,y#,z# ;For this version of APOE, you must set positions manually
<AB_Rotation> 			TOKAB_SetRotation [eHandle],pitch#,yaw#,roll# ;For this version of APOE, you must set positions manually

<AB_BoxInertiaTensor> 		TOKAB_SetBoxInertiaTensor [eHandle],[eTensorWidth],[eTensorHeight],[eTensorDepth],[eMass]
<AB_CylinderInertiaTensor>	TOKAB_SetCylinderInertiaTensor [eHandle],[eTensorDiameter],[eTensorDepth],[eMass]
<AB_SphereInertiaTensor> 	TOKAB_SetSphereInertiaTensor [eHandle],[eTensorDiameter],[eMass]

<AB_AddBox> 			[gHandle Default="Geom"]TOKAB_AddBox([eHandle],[gWidth],[gHeight],[gDepth])
<AB_AddCapsule> 		[gHandle Default="Geom"]TOKAB_AddCylinder([eHandle],[gDiameter],[gDepth])
<AB_AddSphere> 			[gHandle Default="Geom"]TOKAB_AddSphere([eHandle],[gDiameter])
<AB_AddCHull>			CHull = LoadConvex([gCHullFile])
<AB_AddCHull>			[gHandle Default="Geom"]TOKAB_AddConvex([eHandle],cHull,BankSize(cHull))

<Geom_Place>			TOKGEOM_SetPositionAndRotation [gHandle],[gX],[gY],[gZ],[gPitch],[gYaw],[gRoll]
<Geom_MaterialIndex>		TOKGEOM_SetMaterialIndex [gHandle],[gMatIndex]

/Main
	;APOE Physics Editor 0.12; output for [Select OutputType [0=collection of objects][1=[eFName]] ]
	<RBCount> 
	<ABCount> 
	<GeomCount> 
	<SimCreate> 

//Materials
	;Materials
	[SurfacesLoop]
		<SurfaceCreate>
	[/SurfacesLoop]

//Objects
	[ObjectsLoop]
		;Output for object: [eFname]
		<RB_Create> <AB_Create>
		<RB_Position> <AB_Position> 
		<RB_Rotation> <AB_Rotation> 

<RB_LinearDamping>
		<RB_AngularDamping> 

<RB_SetMass> 
		<RB_BoxInertiaTensor> 
		<RB_CylinderInertiaTensor>
		<RB_SphereInertiaTensor>

[GeometriesLoop]
			<RB_AddBox> <AB_AddBox>
			<RB_AddCapsule> <AB_AddCapsule>
			<RB_AddSphere> <AB_AddSphere>
			<RB_AddCHull> <AB_AddCHull>

<Geom_Place>
			<Geom_MaterialIndex>
		[/GeometriesLoop]
	[/ObjectsLoop]

/CHullLoader
    Function LoadConvex(file$)
    	Convex = CreateBank(FileSize(file$))
	filein = ReadFile(file$)
    	For i=0 To FileSize(file$)-1
    		PokeByte Convex,i,ReadByte(filein)
    	Next
    	CloseFile filein
    	Return Convex
    End Function

1 eighth done at last! (or was that what I said last year?)(Posted 2005-04-28)
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=46345
That took a long time to post :)

Oh yah, here's the screenshot that I promised with every window in the program visible:

Good news:
Now that I've got someone else doing something similar, I will be working a bit more quickly...

Hmmm... I should have thought of this... maybe 10 months ago?(Posted 2005-02-08)
I just realised that with a large flow of other ideas for things that I must do (including my entry for the 2005 Coder's Workshop Water Competition (which thankfully will use physics)), which make my pitiful release date estimations even less accurate than they were, I am going to release the rigid body editor for APOE in a seperate package extremely soon. It will export to .bb code, and it will be very simple. Simply a faster way to set up rb objects for tokamak one by one, with a windows select file window. Exactly how the program first began and was intended to be before it went out of hand. It will also have a happy and easy file format for other physics engines... Or maybe just that and no .bb export...
Then with a bit of pressure relieved, I will gradually finish off the big program which is still going to be made for my own sake as well as everyone else's (because we still need joints and ropes and fun stuff like that).

The APOE structure is also due for an overhaul soon. I have decided to split the program into two levels of operation. One way to run it would be on a per-object basis, or for groups of objects (to allow for joints to still be set up), and there would also be the method which would have everything arranged into a scene (which is a method that many people would not want to have to use in many cases).

The RB editor will be updated as I build on APOE itself - meaning that it will be given object groups and joints and ropes before APOE is done.

With that in mind, the release date for APOE is now "when it's done". The release date for the Rigid Body Editor is my usual 2 weeks, because I still need to build a quick .bb exporter, and single out the rb editor from the rest of the program, and iron out a problem, and drink tea.

PS: If you ever happen to come across the guy who had the bright idea to put capsules in a physics engine - please kill him for me.

PPS: 2 weeks is an estimation. You may be aware that I always say two weeks. It just means "Soon, I think, assuming it all works." In this case, everything is working. I'm spending a bit of time streamlining my code a bit more.

Further Puttering(Posted 2005-01-01)
---Sunday, Jan 23, 2005---
Just to prove I'm still working, I have suddenly and mysteriously built 1000 lines of code to my main program module. There is now 3007 lines of my own code :D I just felt like saying that, it feels special! This is my first ever program exceeding 1000 lines.

---Wednesday Jan 12, 2005---
Sad news. The release date of mid-January was set assuming that nobody dies, and nobody breaks both arms after slipping on ice. Sadly, both of those things happened. I would have tried to get it done this weekend, but I'm gone then, so it can't be worked on until the week after (thankfully, I have a good deal of time to work on this from Monday to the end of January).

Features not in release 1:
Ragdoll Specific Editor
Plugins
Wizards
Advanced object editor (except for ropes, which will be in)
No fix for flat convex hull crash - just don't be dumb (you'll see)

*List may be updated* (but I hope not)

---Original---
Object transformations are in at last. Scaling of objects via the movement arrows is currently inoperative, and I doubt that it will ever operate smoothly. The position window, however, does scaling just fine - and it's better to use it anyways. For movement and rotations using that window, the program will decide whether the number is floating point or an integer, so if you make all your object positions square on without decimals, it will actually be worthwhile.
Of course, both windows still work fine for rotation and movement of objects.

I have finally got enough windows available to open that I can almost do one of those silly screenshots in which every single window in the program is visible.

Free flight camera mode is in, making it easier to see what you are doing.

Object groups can pop in at any time because throughout the construction of the program, I have always treated my code as though they already existed. They will probably exist within the next few days.

Ropes are oddly enough, not added yet. Neither are joints or scene properties. Those are all coming soon in that order. When that happens, you will see a misleading and hard to understand screenshot of every window in the program open and at their most busy looking settings.

Also, I'm going to try something that seems like a fairly good idea and worth trying out. I am going to release a beta of the program with no saving, loading, or in fact any file format even planned. With that release, I will stay very open to any feature requests (and, of course, bug reports). Because there would be no file format to worry about accidentally bothering, I will be able to make room for the features without too much hastle, and no worries regarding backwards compatibility.

The Release Draws Nearer(Posted 2004-11-14)
---Saturday, November 27, 2004---
Okay, break's over. I learned that the only way I could get out of my Half-Life2 adiction was by buckling down and beating it. I finally did (my god the thing is huge!) and now I'm back to APOE. Yesterday I did some bits of coolification, and it runs more happily now. It is getting more and more streamlined, and my problem count is going down. I can feel a release of Version 0.2 by the end of December... Maybe mid January.

Oh, by the way, I got Caps-Lock going properly in BlitzUI! It's a bit of a hack job, but it works well :)

---Original---
I've decided, since this is going to be freeware, and there seems to be a demand for programs like this, I'm going to release the current version of it soon, right after I tweek a few things, finish something I forgot, close off unfinished stuff, write docs, and give it a file format + tutorial on loading it (I'll write a loader in blitz for now).
Currently it may seem pretty baren, but it will grow. I have a nice source code structure at this point, so adding new features should be fairly easy.

Okay, the real reason for this crazy decision: HL2 coming soon, and I'm getting it on release. I expect 20 hours of delays.
Then I will be back and working extra hard so I can make a game to compete with its physics-based gameplay...

Finally I'm free again(Posted 2004-10-30)
After much fiddling, I have rescued my program from a horrible plague of errors, and the Object Library is now done, with lots of fun functionality.
Basically, now a mesh is imported, you can set various default settings like geometries and mass, etc. Then any number (Up to 1024 I think) of entities using that mesh can be added to the scene. It's simple, but it took me forever because I had to do a lot of changing to both my own code and Blitz UI along the way. This caused a week and a half of errors. Finally I'm pretty much out of that bother, and I can go back to being creative again!

The full story about my bug fixing is here in the form of The Adventures of Logan and Lance #1.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=39904
Believe it or not, it is actually a very accurate representation of what happened.

Goodish news(Posted 2004-09-18)
---Wednesday Oct 13, 2004---
No real progress, but I'm back.

---Saturday Oct 9, 2004---
Where am I? I hear you ask (considering you are reading this). Well, basically, when I finally got my source code back I was a bit out of practice and I had fallen out of that nice little stage you get with a project when you can just keep on going forever. In other words, I'm taking a short(ish) break in which I will take care of other unfinised business and stuff that I have been intent on doing for ages.

---Sunday September 19, 2004---
Here's some real news (didn't feel like adding a new post):
Playing with a car demo in ODE somehow led me to a decision that the loader will work in a much more open way, which forces the programmer to do a lot of the work (and removes the one line loading), but for good reason. Faked effects should still be able to work. I will also maybe write quick loaders for various engines and languages so the person doesn't have to. There is definietly very good reasoning for this, mostly based on my own inevitable laziness. Here is an idea of how the loader would work in blitz:
;APOE loader concept 0.1

world = LoadScene("Tokamak","Scene.apoe")

For i = 0 To GetSceneRBCount(world)

rb = TOKRB_Create()
	TOKRB_SetMass rb,GetMass_RB(i)
	TOKRB_SetPosition rb,getX_RB(i),getY_RB(i),getZ_RB(i)
	TOKRB_SetRotation rb,getPitch_RB(i),getYaw_RB(i),getRoll_RB(i)
	;list of all possible rb specific commands goes here. 
	;A bit fiddly, but it only needs to be done once

For g = 0 To getGeomCountRB()

;all RB settings

Next

Next

;Similar method for joints and everything else

So basically it is done by retrieving bits of information from the dll, which simply reads the file and arranges everything.
If I get adventurous, maybe I will set up automatic object grouping so that there are no needless function calls.

---Original---

Not great progress, but I'm happy today because it's the first progress in a month.
I have merged my code from my old hard drive (hard drive crashed, went to data recovery) and my new hard drive (bought it so computer would run during data recovery) and I have it going nicely. I now have nicer code structure in some bits, a completely working surface library, and the advanced object creator's framework is in. Soon (after I add in some pretty gfx and arrange the dropdown menus properly) I will put in rope creation (though it seems like it may get fiddly, so expect delays). In terms of gfx addins, there will be little icons all over the place, and in the surfaces library there is an icon that's actually of use to visualise the friction on a surface with a normal map (I for one, have trouble with avoiding setting friction to 100%).
Also found someone who may be willing to do some dll programming (the loader for apoe exports will be in a dll, along with various functions to make physics easier both for me and for you).

So, APOE is back for those that noticed it being gone.
Felt like posting this because worklogs are cool. Real news to come. Soon.

Progress update(Posted 2004-08-26)
I know people hate it when things that were interesting disappear, so I'll tell you why I haven't said much recently:
I've been away on vacation for a while (so obviously that puts me back a few days)
I literally wasted 3 weeks trying to make a function that determines if a section of a mesh is flat, and the solution has only come at the very minute of this writing (seriously, I thought of it just while I was typing this).
Finally, I have been doing busy work which I may as well not mention.

Now, on with my good update :D
Joints and ropes are now being implemented
The object geometry editor now has a window to edit geometry properties, which means that the interface is no longer in testing stages.
An object physical attributes window is in the works, so that objects can be edited in a more friendly way and the windows will be smaller, better organised, and more attractive overall.

And the important bit: I'm going to bite the bullet and learn C or something so that the program will come packed with a dll containing all the handy time-saving functions required to make physics programming easy no matter what engine you use. This would include an APOE loader, rope editing functions, and a physics updater that works for buoyancy and other special options.
My reason for this decision is that I've realised that the only people who want this will be people who know how to code, and if they are using a physics engine, then they probably know mostly how to use it without my aid. Besides, most people don't want a whole individual program for their physics scene, and end up copying and pasting everything that is important out of it.

Also a decision: V 1 of APOE will only have support for Tokamak and Newton, but it will gain more as time goes on. I will also add a feature in the prefs menu so that you could tell APOE about a physics engine you want it to support, which would basically involving choosing which features it supports, writing out functions and required variables, and then APOE would determine a system for itself to work with to write the proper scripts.

Feature list(Posted 2004-07-05)
Here is a feature list to show what is to come. Lots of these features are not yet in (or even started) but they will be done. I will continue updating this as more things come up.

(Done) Support for all Tokamak geometries, including Convex hulls.

Ragdoll editor
(Done) Object geometry editor (rigid bodies and animated bodies).
Object group editor for easy object grouping.
Joints can be created in scene mode and the group editor.

(Done) Entity Attributes Window. [I have virtually no clue how I will in fact do this, but I realize that it is necessary so that people can load in particular special object behaviours of their own.]

Automatic rope creation (should work everywhere)
This, as well as joint placements can be done in many different editing modes.

Cloth creation

Water with buoyancy effects and adjustable pressure.

Advanced "Ragdoll animation" editor, which is explained later.

(Done) Material creation (I call them surfaces because it is a more realistic name)

Collision group setup

Scene editor can act as a simple level builder.

Saving methods, wizard scripts, and specs for different physics engines can all be added by some method.

Generally saves as a file which is loaded with a loader function. This also contains an update function which updates the physics and other special sections like cloths.
The saving is like this so that people can have this working with many different programming languages and physics engines, in any way they want.

If all goes well, the ragdoll editor should be able to work automatically in some cases, if the model has bones set up.

Integration with Spine (ooh, the mystery begins!!).

Big update(Posted 2004-06-21)
Convex hulls are in, and the UI looks nicer, and the scene editor and object editor are succesfully seperated into different sections. I will next be adding an object library, and then some new features that give the ability to merge a jointed body cloth physics sim into a rigid body object using ropes (something that would be extremely complicated to do with code). Later along the lines is a faked buoyancy setup (okay, I'm jealous of Havok), tools for creating object templates, a simple way to write exporters, and then the wonderful busy work like an undo button, a file format, and the well loved repairing of glitches.

But for now, here's what I have:

New stuff(Posted 2004-05-23)
Well, it's been a while, and I just restarted yesterday, but here's the new program. I have started using blitz UI to handle everything and it works great. The interface is almost all done, and I've got a good idea of how everything is going to work. Tokamatizer has always been a working title, and that was for sure when I decided to eventually support many physics engines, so the new name is APOE (I was aiming for APE but I think it's taken by some species of primates...). That stands for Automated Physics Object Editor.
Currently, the only real stuff that's in yet is box creation, but the rest is on its way.

A change in plans(Posted 2004-04-13)
This won't cause me too much trouble, but I've decided, after seeing Newton Game Dynamics, that I will create this program with all kinds of different physics library's in mind. I am now planning to set up a system that allows for downloadable patches that enable export to a diferent physics library. This way, the same file that exports as a tokamak .bb file can also export as an Newton Game Dynamics .bb file and anything else that may come up later on. This will definietly allow for this program to live for a long while.

Progress(Posted 2004-04-11)
Even I am surprised by the latest progress! I have just finished the box adding script, and it is even better than I'd thought! Below is two pictures demonstrating the precision that this software will allow for you to make your tokamak objects.

It took one minute to draw boxes around the entire ship! (I'm not done the functions for anything else)

Starting.(Posted 2004-03-26)
I have started today, and I'm currently using the blitzsys DLL for file loading. It is quite a handy dll, especially considering it is free! As I have mentioned in my description, it is my first large project in blitz 3d and I hope for the best.
The purpose of Tokamatizer is to be able to generate a tokamak rigid body for a 3d model almost perfectly, by simply selecting faces (actually vertices, but the user would probably prefer to select faces) on a 3d model. Tokamatizer will then figure out the rotations and sizing of the new block. It will also have some other handy details, like being able to name objects.
I am currently just setting up the tool box and box selecting functions. Having trouble with the tool box for some reason.