Worklog for WMSteadman

Stunt Car Racer

Return to Worklogs

Progress(Posted 2008-05-21)
I have almost completed the track ed, and am not too worried about how to polish it off. It's more a when than an if.

Car physics, is very complex stuff. I am fortunate that SCR has an unrealistic 'sticky tyres' to it otherwise I would be in trouble with some of my calculations. perhaps I can open this up using things like traction at a later date.

meanwhile, I have a box on wheels that moves fairly SCR-ish and am working on a nice way to load the track in and stick the car on it. The editor loader/builder uses lots of entities to build the track (making it easier for the user with markers that can be switched on or off) the game version will not need them, plus I need to maximise framerate by keeping polys low.

Track Ed nearing completion.(Posted 2008-05-07)
Further developments to the Stunt Car Racer Track Ed. Have created the buttons I need, just coding them in. stopped to take a break and create a screenshot. Not my best effort on a peice of track but it shows nice rolling hills and banked tracks (even on curves). The top row of buttons are for manual tweaking as track segments are created the bottom row are for more intuitive creation (ie 'I want n number of peices to gradually reach a steepness of m').

I am undecided at this point whether to bother with a start/finish button, although I plan to recereate the race element against a computer AI (and possibly multiplayer), I'm not sure at this stage whether to bother allowing the user to specify the start peice, as I would just work the startline from the first segment (seems only natural).

Editor GUI(Posted 2008-05-05)
The Editor is now in a workable format, which should make, loading/saving tracks quite easy. Have now begun working on the graphics for the editors gui, at first I was just going to use crude buttons using box commands and slapping text on them, but, it doesn't feel right, so picture buttons it is. I have gone for little flat buttons with isometric drawings to represent what the button will to to the track.

It begins,(Posted 2008-05-02)
It's a shame to see so many works in progress and never get to play a remake of Stunt car racer. I loved this game on the Amiga and even got to play it over a link up with a friend. consequently, I have taken it upon myself to do a simple remake of this classic, I have not created anything on 3D before this (except a dungeon master type of remake which I never got any further than a very square dungeon) but, hopefully, all will go well.

um... how do you slap an image into this? (Only, I have already started a track editor)