Worklog for ziggy

Script Language

Return to Worklogs

First API in progress(Posted 2008-12-21)
I've been working on the script language API, it can compile scripts and generate byte-code assemblies, load and save byte code assemblies, even incbin them, and execute programs in a very easy way.

this is a source code of a program using the script system to load, compile, save etc. a script: (this is a console app)
'We need to create a compiler to create the byte code:
Local MyCompiler:TCompiler = New TCompiler

'then we compile the script to Byte code:
Print "Generating assembly on memory"
Local CR:TCompilerResults = MyCompiler.Compile("program1.pol")

'We check the compilation results, and inform on any possible error:
If CR.Compiled = False Then
	Print "program was not compiled."
	Print "Error = " + cr.ErrDescription
	Print "on line = " + cr.ErrLine
	Print "of file = " + cr.errfile
	Input "Press enter to quit>"
	End
End If

'In case there were not error, we save the compiled assembly on disk:
Print "saving assembly to disk for later use."
'We're going to save the compile assembly to disk:
cr.Assembly.SaveAssembly("Program1.pexe")

'Now we have the program compiled, it's time to run it on a Virtual Machine:
Local VM:TVirtualMachine = New TVirtualMachine
Print "Loading assembly to virtual machine"
vm.LoadProgram(CR.Assembly)	'You can only load one program per virtual machine
Input "Program is about to be executed. Press enter>"
vm.RunProgram()
Input "Program executed. Press enter>"

'Now we're going to run a program pre-compiled on disk:
vm = New TVirtualMachine
'first of all, we load the assembly from disk:
Print "Loading assembly from disk"
Local Assembly:TAssembly = TAssembly.Load("Program1.pexe")
'then we load set the assembly to the running virtual machine:
vm.LoadProgram(Assembly)
Print "Assembly loaded and set to the VM."

Input "Program is about to be executed again, press Enter>"
vm.RunProgram()
Print "After execution:"
Print "Contens of global byte variable number 5: " + vm.Scopes.scopes[0].bytes[5]
Input "Press enter to perform a speed test>"
Const iterations:Int = 1000000
Local t:Int = MilliSecs()
For Local i:Int = 1 To iterations
	vm.RunProgram()
Next
Local time2:Int = MilliSecs() - t
Print "It took " + time2 + " to perform " + iterations + " iterations."
Print "each iteration took " + (Double(time2) / Double(iterations)) + " milliseconds."
Input "Press Enter to exit>"
End

For a very simple program I'm getting a 0.002 millisecs for iteration, wich is a good start for an un-optimized script system like that, running on a Pentium IV computer :D

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Manel Ibáñez ||| BLIde comunity ||| BLIde official Web Site ||| BLIde manual in PDF If you're using BLIde as your regular IDE for BlitzMax, please consider getting the BLIde Plus! version to support development. Visit my BLIde development Blog! and get the Open Source Sound3D module for minib3d

Dual 2 Core 2.8 (Windows 7) with ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 on a nice new Vaio :D

First design(Posted 2008-11-01)
I've been designing a small script language based on a virtual machine that produces intermediate and fast byte-code that can be stored in a compiled way for faster load and performance later. The idea is to create a very simple language that can deal with any host BlitzMax application. (like LUA, but done in BlitzMax)

This project will be completelly open source, once I get a more decent source code. It is being done on BLIde as IDE, and using only BlitzMax code. As BlitzMax does not provide a decent real jump table, I've based all the virtual engine on a big array of functions pointers and that has introduced a very good performance of the virtual machine.

This script is meant to be a small and easy to use script system with the following features:

At first release it will contain this data types:
Byte, Int, long, Float, double and String
It will be a procedural language where user will be able to create functions with parameters returning values (or not).
Also, the host BlitzMax application will be able to register functions that will then be directly available to the script system. Also, the script system will be able to register some vars and functions in order for them to be available to the BlitzMax host application.

there are no plans to include some very essential things like arrays or classes on the first release. It is a small WIP done in my sparse time so I'm not trying to compete with the very good available comercial alternatives.

This is the source code a first already running program:
Byte MyVar = 0
While MyVar<255
MyVar = MyVar + 1
print "The value of MyVar now is: " + MyVar
Wend

I'm finishing the complex expression compiler, to allow the usage of complex operations with optimizations.
The current unstable version is revealing a very good performance (best that I expected it to have).

Obviously I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. I know there are lots of viable alternatives. This is being done with the purpose of learning and improving some coding techniques. I hope the results will be good enought to be usable on comercial projects.

More info to come as soon as possible!

If anyone is interested on getting this WIP source-code, just email me. This project source code will be Open Source, I'm not opening it yet becouse it is still on a very early desing status, but if some one 'experienced' wants to help from now, see email on profile.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Manel Ibáñez ||| BLIde comunity ||| BLIde official Web Site ||| BLIde manual in PDF If you're using BLIde as your regular IDE for BlitzMax, please consider getting the BLIde Plus! version to support development. Visit my BLIde development Blog! and get the Open Source Sound3D module for minib3d

Dual 2 Core 2.8 (Windows 7) with ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 on a nice new Vaio :D