Worklog for Raptor1313666

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

SpacersR 06/26/03(Posted 2003-06-26)
SpacersR development over the past week has been unfortunately slow. I'm still working on tweaks here and there for the space game, and I haven't even begun work on the ground game yet. I'm still procrastinating there.

On a side note, I've also been helping a friend develop an old 8-bit style RPG, so my workload over the past week has actually been helping him conceptualize his game. I felt that SpacersR was far enough along for me to be able to take a short hiatus on it.

Speaking of hiatus, I'll be going on vacation in a couple of weeks, so naturally SpacersR development will slow. Oddly enough, I PREFER to code on vacation, but I don't think I'll be able to get a laptop on which Blitz will run effectively before then. Ah well. Perhaps it's best that I get away from everything, huh?

Anyway, on to the next batch of developer logs!

;==========================================================================================
;06/18/03 4:45pm
;v0.2.41.530 Pre-Alpha (Build version)
;by Richard Powell
;
; You may notice a change of versioning with this Developer Log entry. I have configured Protean
;to do version tracking, and as such, I have adopted its more traditional style. From now on each
;version will be tagged similar to the above, with the first number being major versions, the second
;being minor versions (number of times I've compiled a standalone .EXE), the third number being the
;number of times I've run a build (ran the program to check execution), and the final number being
;the number of times I've edited code.
; While I'm still procrastinating on the "ground game", I've made SOME headway into setting up the
;game to accept the new game states. I've prepared the main game loop in such a way that I can
;swap between two different game loops depending on the game state that I'm in. I've also added
;the chances for transition directly into the game. By that I mean that the player can now stop
;over a planet and descend at the touch of a button. The player can ONLY descend if he's above
;a planet. I've also attached the new transition effect (still working on the finalized version)
;to the landing "sequence" in preparation for separate game loading.
; Slowly, but surely, I'm heading towards the ground game.
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; My next step will be to add the game state tracking into the game, so the player will be able
;to enter the atmosphere of each planet and even potentially land.
; I also need to revise and "bulk out" some of the AI routines, giving the AI Ships some proper
;fighting and avoiding techniques.
;==========================================================================================

;06/18/03 10:45pm
;v0.2.41.530 Pre-Alpha (Build version tweaked)
;by Richard Powell
;
; I had to tweak the way the versioning was changing, as it seemed to be increasing too much on
;the revision side of things. This is why you may notice that the versions between this update and
;the last one as similar.
; In truth, I haven't changed too much since that update, which is why I felt the auto-version
;scheme was a little off. Thus, I adjusted it appropriately.
; All I have done in this update is add some rudimentary frame limiting code. While it's not
;precise or exact, it helps prevent the game from executing too fast on certain fast machines. At
;the moment I have the frame limiter set to run at around 50-60 Frames per second. In order to
;better track whether or not the frame limiter was actually limiting anything, I also added a small
;bit of Frames Per Second tracking in there.
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; My next step will be to add the game state tracking into the game, so the player will be able
; I also need to revise and "bulk out" some of the AI routines, giving the AI Ships some proper

;06/20/03 3:30am
;v0.2.41.585 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; I am continuing with minor tweaks, having added physical "portals" or "stargates". Instead of
;the previous "sector boundary" method, I will merely use these gates to travel back and forth
;between sectors. At this point, the gates don't actually work, but instead are there merely for
;physical appearance.
; With the addition of gates and the re-randomization of some of the sectors, I've once again
;run into the problem of "planet collisions". The planets sometimes randomize INTO each other, and
;I cannot seem to detect when a planet has collided with another. This is where I am right now, and
;I must correct the error very next thing.

;06/20/03 6:00pm
;v0.2.41.704 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; I have recently fixed my Planetary collisions dilemma by placing them at near-set intervals
;around the star. Since each planet now lies on its own orbital pathway, it is near impossible
;for the planets to collide. This method has even allowed me to assign each planet a variable
;"orbit speed", which adds a little to the realism of the solar systems.
; In addition, I have hyperspace working in a rudimentary fashion. I have decided to go with
;a hybrid method of my old way and my new way. What happens now is that one portal is generated
;per sector. This portal leads to hyperspace, which is a red version of the universe. In hyper-
;space the player can opt to move faster than normal. Also, the sector checking that I disabled
;last night has been renabled for hyper space. Thus, you can now cross the sector borders only
;while in hyperspace. This gives me a pseudo-Babylon 5 style of fast travel, and it works
;for now.
; I fear, however, with all the tweaking that I have done today, that I may soon be coding
;myself into a corner when it comes to the AIShips. As they are now, if you kill all ships
;in one sector, they're dead in all. I know there's an easy solution to this, but I need to
;stop and think about how I want to incorporate AI ships into the final version of Spacers. I
;must get them right now, so I don't run into any coding issues in the future. I've already
;had to rewrite many of my sector handling routines in order to do the hyperspace thing
;properly.
; I do have a few more things that I'd like to solidify with the space game before I begin
;work on the ground game. I've decided that it's probably best to make certain one aspect
;of the game is as I want it before going and adding a whole new chunk of code. As such, I
;will still leave my ToDo's below as they are, just to remind me of what I still must do.

;06/21/03 1:15am
;v0.2.41.831 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; This is just a quick update. I've been able to take Lance's comic page code and replace my
;own placeholder code. While this does not yet mean I have curling pages, at least the new page
;generation code is a little more flexible than what I had in there.
; At the moment the page is placed and "turns" perfectly. The lighting is just right as well.
;The next step for that page will be to figure out how to address the vertices and what math to
;use in order to get it to curl as well as turn.
; I need to also figure out how to "curl" the comic page transition.

-Richard "Raptor" Powell

"Nice guys may finish last,
but, you know, the company's
much better back here."

SpacersR 06/18/03(Posted 2003-06-18)
Happy Birthday to me! Hopefully I'll be able to get some good coding in, as I'm taking the day off from work.

I've made a little more progress on SpacersR, but not as much as I would like. I have a rather bad habit of putting off the "next big step" in my projects, and right now I'm at one of those steps.

I need to add what I'm calling the "ground game" into Spacers. This will be the part of the game (relatively different from the "space game") that will cover the player wandering around on the randomized planets.

Not only does this entail creating a 3rd person character based game (as opposed to a 3rd person space game), but also forces me to deal with terrain, buildings, gravity, character animation, and other "fun" things.

To top it all off, I also need to add the "sky game", which is the short, intermediate phase that exists between the ground game and the space game. The sky game is merely when the spaceship exists in the atmosphere of the planet. It allows for fast travel across the surface, but has no room for any real interaction with other characters, shops, etc.

Anyway, I've attached the most recent Developer Logs below. So happy reading (to whomever may actually be reading):

;===============================================================================================
;06/16/03 12:00am
;v0.01.014 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; To update, I've done a little bit of behind the scenes tweaking, adding provisions for different
;"classes" of AI ships. Each class (Fighter, Freighter, Cruise) is a different size and has a
;different set of variables. I have implemented this in game by scaling the ships up depending on
;the class of ship.
; I've also changed the way the interface code works, changing from a 3D planar frame to a 2D
;image. I've got the buttons working nearly the same way as before, but I ran into the problem of
;the alternate cameras showing up "under" the frame. As such, I've decreased their size. In truth,
;I prefer the smaller size, as it gives across a better impression of a comic book.
; The "debug" text has also become optional, showing up whenever the player pressed the
;Backspace key. I can use the text background to display in-game text as well. So the option of
;having different text appear on the screen is now a little closer to implementation.
;===============================================================================================

;06/17/03 8:50pm
;v0.01.015 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell from Work
;
; Not too much "new" stuff has been done at the moment, as most of my work has been reserved for
;tweaking and bug fixing. I think that I've gotten most of the issues resolved now, however, so I
;should hopefully be able to continue with the new additions to the code.
; I've been working a little bit on not only dynamic mesh creation, but on dynamic texturing as
;well, and I've come up with a nice little alternative to the traditional fade-in/fade-out of most
;games and movies. It'll be cool, and I think it fits in near perfectly with the theme of the game.
; I currently have one of my friends, who is also using Blitz, working on the "meat" of that
;transition effect, which is probably for the better. Hopefully he should have his part done within
;the next day or two, so I'll get to spend some time fitting that code into my own and making
;certain everything else works well with it.
; Despite my procrastination on the matter, I will probably be tackling the game states in the
;very near future. This means that I'm going to have to deal with flying through an atmosphere,
;landing the ship, and playing the game as the pilot in a third person perspective. It should be
;an interesting coding journey, methinks. I've been avoiding it because I wanted to make certain
;that the space aspect was at least somewhat solid. However, I think the rest of the game now
;hinges on my completion of these others parts.

;06/18/03 1:00am
;v0.01.016 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; Happy Birthday to me! I'm making this minor update in case I'm unable to work on this any
;later (during the actual day). I've fixed the problem of the skybox showing up around the player
;in the action camera by setting a "range" on the camera. If the camera strays to far away from
;the player, the Action Camera shuts down. Thus the skybox will never show itself in one of those
;other cameras, as the cameras will shut down before that can happen.
; Additionally, I have eschewed using the skybox in favor of a skysphere. It's smoother, easier
;to handle, and can be used around planets in a much more effective manner than the traditional
;skybox.

-Richard "Raptor" Powell

much better back here."

SpacersR(Posted 2003-06-14)
Greetings to all who peruse my first Blitz worklog!

My current game (and I stress CURRENT, as I have a relatively bad problem of starting on a new project every few weeks) goes under the working title of Spacers. Technically, the current version is Spacers-R, with "R" referring to "Rewrite". I've started this project twice before. First I was using DarkBasic to code, and Spacers was a top-down 2D style space game. Secondly, I restarted with the project with Blitz3D and a changed to a first person 3D style. The current version is a blending of the two, retaining the 2D "feel" of the game while using a more 3D perspective.

So now, while SpacersR may be a space game, my current plans have no serious use of the 3rd dimension for the flight model.

To emphasize more on the general concept, Spacers is a space trading/combat/life game, where a person will be able to travel from planet to planet, trading goods, taking odd jobs, and fighting for his/her life (if you accidentally tick someone off). The universe will be randomized with a "controlled" randomization, so it should, in theory, be near infinite.

While I initially envisioned Spacers to be similar to Elite, Frontier, and those classic games, I have recently chosen to go a slightly different direction for it. Spacers will be presented as an interactive comic book. I am using a "faked" cel shading technique to give the look I desire, and most of my artwork will be of a similar theme. This allows me to play around with not only some fun and "over the top" aspects, but also balance it with some seriousness, too.

Think anime and manga. Now you got the idea.

I also pretty much have the generalized story of the Spacers universe down, but I need to get the basic game done before I can start adding the serious content to the game itself.

But anyway. I've actually been keeping an in-code Developer Log since I started this project long ago (back when I was using DarkBasic Professional). I try and do this with all my current projects, as it allows me to see what I've done and how I've progressed. I have included all the SpacersR Developer Logs below for those interested in the first few days development. Original Spacers and Spacers3D (the first two projects, respectively) logs have not been included.

You will also see these SpacersR developer entries in my future worklogs, along with any more personal comments I may have.

With that, I welcome you once again to the SpacersR Worklogs! Now on to the Developer's Logs (cut 'n' pasted from my code in sequential order)!

;06/06/03 4:00am
;v0.01.001 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; This marks the first development log of SpacersR, the Blitz3D version of Spacers. While I chose
;to initially start work on Spacers3D, I felt that project was a little too advanced for my current
;skill level with the Blitz3D language. And considering the amount of work needed to port
;the DarkBasic Spacers code over to Blitz, I decided to go forth with a complete rewrite. SpacerR is
;that project.
; For the record, "R" stands for "Rewrite".
; I have successfully created a series of core code files, each linked to the main code as a central
;"hub". I have done this in order to help maintain readability and to prevent lengthy searches
;through many many lines of obscure code just to fine a single routine. Hopefully this method should
;help out as this project grows.
; This initial version of SpacersR can successfully create a skybox, load a model, and randomly
;place some "debris" sprites around the player's ship.
; Movement code is also in, so the ship can, as in DB Spacers, fly forwards, backwards, and turn
;left and right with a maximum bank angle of about 90 degrees.
; I have also successfully implemented a Mouse View feature, wherein the mouse will revolve around
;the player's ship in a spherical fashion. While this is not used for ship control, I do hope to
;implement combat and weapons system code in this manner.
; My next step will be to reimplement the planetary generation and randomization code, and do my
;best to recreate the revolving, randomized worlds I had successfully written into DB Spacers.

;06/07/03 1:00am
;v0.01.002 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; I have nearly gotten SpacersR back up to spec with the original DB version. Planets are
;generated randomly per sector, textured, and with proper revolution and rotation code.
; I have also figured out how to increase the draw distance, so there's not as much "popping" in
;of planets and stars. Finally, the planets DO fade out into black fog, while the star itself is
;immune to the effect.

;06/08/03 3:15am
;v0.01.003 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; I have taken SpacersR into a slightly different direction with this update. Instead of a
;standard space type game, I'm going with an interactive comic book style game. I've already been
;able to implement to cel-shading look, and I've even added an "interface" frame and one button.
; As of now, to view with the mouse one must click on the camera icon in the bottom corner. A
;right click will immediately release the look around lock.
; Finally, I've also added a targeting reticle that hovers just on the other side of the ship.

;06/08/03 10:30pm
;v0.01.004 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; This update is more conceptual in nature, as I have not added too much new to the code just yet.
;My current track of ideas is to take this comic book idea a little further into the interface. I
;wish to add "talk bubbles" to the ships to indicate communication, I also want to find a way to
;attach dynamic text to certain items.
; On that note, I've added some behind the scenes code to deal with the generation of generic
;planet and star names. Now I just need to find a way to display this on the screen.
; Finally, I've added the structure necessary to prepare for the AI ships in the game. Hopefully
;I'll be able to implement these soon.
; Oh, and I also removed the targeting reticle because I felt it wasn't in line with the theme.
; I also need to add AI ships into the game. While I have the structures in place, I need to
;generate the actual instances randomly per sector while also attaching (and writing) the proper
;AI scripts to each AI Ship.

;06/10/03 3:15am
;v0.01.005 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; I've been able to add AI Ships into the game, along with some very simple and very rudimentary
;AI routines. Because I was able to get the proper structure in there, I can now consider this
;section done and flesh out the exact routines later.
; I've also added basic weapons firing to the game and some static explosions. The entities
;disappear as they should, but the explosions stick around, so I need to figure out a way to fade
;them out slowly.
; Finally, I've gone ahead and added a little custom mouse cursor for those systems that cannot
;handle the 3D windowed mode.
; I also need to fix the explosions code, as it incorrectly leaves a static sphere in the spot
;where the AI Ship was last.

;06/10/03 2:19pm
;v0.01.006 Pre-Alpha
;
; I have fixed the problem of the lasting explosions. Instead of tracking the explosions with each
;weapon particle, I chose to create a whole new explosion type and track them that way. This method
;has the advantage of allowing me to remove the weapon particles as soon as collision occurs while
;having the explosion fireballs hang around for a little longer.
; I have also added some rudimentary damage code in there, allowing each AI ship about 100 hit
;points of "armor". To counter this, I gave each laser shot a damage of 10. Unfortunately, that's
;currently a static number, so I need to find a way to keep that damage within the Type.
; I need to rework the damage code so that the damage dealt to a target by a collision with a
;weapon particle is variable upon which weapon particle hit it.

;06/11/03 1:45am
;v0.01.007 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; I have added some more comic style artwork, placing "Booms" and "Krunch"s for when big things
;happen. Damage code has also been fixed, so now each weapon has a specific rate of damage it can
;deal to the target.
; Also, I've made it so that the player's ship can mount two weapons, one ballistic and one energy.
;Both slots have "ammo" that runs out. Energy, of course, recharges. Ammunition, however, does not.
; Additionally, I have added rate fire code, so now your weapons have a specifc rate of fire.
;Larger, more powerful weapons will not only take more energy to fire, but will also take longer to
;"cool down", so to speak.

;06/11/03 3:00pm
;v0.01.008 Pre-Alpha
;
; Since my last update I have added AI firing code, AI firing rate code, and player to shot
;collisions. Damage is done to the player appropriately, and the player can now die from getting
;shot too much by an AI Ship.
; I have also added some rudimentary text displays to the game, showing the player's ammo, energy
;and the local star sector. I can easily expand this to do what I need it to do for future
;revisions.

;06/12/03 3:00pm
;v0.01.009 Pre-Alpha
;
; This is a minor revision. I have worked out some range/Line of sight issues with the enemy AI
;but I still seem to have some problems with the camera detaching from the pivot. This, however,
;I should be able to fix relatively easily.
; I still need to work on the AI subroutines, however, because they're still a little light in
;the intelligence part.

;06/12/03 9:00pm
;v0.01.010 Pre-Alpha
;
; I've added an "Action Camera" to the game, displaying the targeted enemy ship in a sub viewport.
;I've also changed the mouse view to display in a separate window as well.

;06/13/03 2:30am
;v0.01.011 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; This is my first update using my recently purchased version of Blitz3D v1.83. Unfortunately,
;SpacersR no longer works properly. While the game itself seems to be executing just fine, it does
;not appear to be displaying any 3D graphics. As such, I may have to continue development with
;the demo version, which does still appear to work correctly.
; Hopefully this is something that I can fix in the near future.

;06/14/03 3:50pm
;v0.01.012 Pre-Alpha
;
; Well, after some wrangling with my system, drivers, and with Blitz, I STILL have not properly
;been able to get SpacersR to work correctly in v1.83. I've been able to install each successive
;version of Blitz3D on their site, and was able to narrow it down to the change between v1.80 and
;v1.82 that broke things. As such, I'm currently developing using v1.80. I still have hopes that
;with the migration to the RaptorPuter from the NinjaPuter, things will work out properly somehow.
; For the record, I believe that the problem lies somewhere with Blitz3D and ATI's drivers. I
;think I primarily blame ATI's drivers.
; Once I'm able to have some more time at home with v1.83, I'm going to try and rework most all
;of the game by commenting out most of my code and see what breaks it and what doesn't. I'm not
;looking forward to this, but it may be necessary for me to continue development on my one active
;machine at home. The RaptorPuter still needs a few more parts to finish.
; On to the game update. I've been able to rework a few portions of this game, providing for
;slightly faster execution and somewhat more efficient use of code. Although I do still have a lot
;of optimization and tweaking before this is anywhere near what I'd consider release quality.
; I was running into a strange "Entity Does Not Exist" error as well, even though I thought I had
;covered that possibility with my conditionals. I THINK I may have been able to squash that bug,
;though, but since it was so difficult to recreate, I cannot say for certain.
; I've also changed the drawing order of many of the entities, allowing for the proper display of
;the outlines, the cloud sphere (for the planets), and the sprite "sound" effects. It's a confusing
;process, but I think I've got a good order down.
; PRIORITY: Get SpacersR to work properly with Blitz3D v1.83. Comment out all the code and
;uncomment a section at a time, figuring out what breaks and what works.

;06/13/03 8:45pm
;v0.01.013 Pre-Alpha
;by Richard Powell
;
; To update, I've finally been able to fix the Spacers problem in Blitz3D v1.83. Apparently, the
;code for camera handling was changed internally, and I was for some reason forced to set a
;CameraProjMode for each and every camera that I was using.
; However, now that SpacersR works in v1.83, I can happily continue development.
; Speaking of which, I've recently purchased a new IDE for Blitz called Protean. I can honestly
;say that I REALLY like this new IDE. It does exactly what I wanted the original Blitz IDE to do.
;As such, I've continued development with it, fixing a few stray bugs due to the v1.83 conversion.
; As for other things, I had to revert my EntityOrder commands back to their original state, as I
;could not get a proper order for all possible entities.
; Perhaps now I can stop the bug fixing and continue on with the creative additions.

-Richard "Raptor" Powell

much better back here."