Worklog for fishy

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

FPS with vehicle combat (Posted 2002-02-28)
Hi, I have been working on a First person shooter for about 2 months now.

So Far I have mod support working so a player can easily add new factions, characters, vehicles, ships, maps, etc.. by just adding a folder, model and txt file. I have an inventory working with weapons (not onto medipacks and stuff yet). I have different guns with different holding positions working and more can be added very easily.

Terrain is in using multitexturing so I have a colour map that spans the entire map, than I have a detail texture that is tiled over the terrain that gives it the detail. I have vehicle and weapon respawning which is determined in the txt file of that vehicle or weapon. plus I have managed to do a couple of effects, like explosions and sky.

I have vehicles in, you can use a tank or humvee ( the only vehicles I have added so far ) which have working turrets using the mouse to control, bullets, gun recoil, rotation with terrain and objects (just the castle from marks demo), gravity and damage. Also have animated tank tracks. Wheeled vehicles have the wheels spinning at the rate of the vehicles movement, and the front wheels turn for steering. Plus the basic stuff like, tracked vehicles can turn no matter what their speed is but wheeled vehicles turn depending on their speed, vehicle will not turn if they are off the ground nor will the accelerate.

I have net code that includes player positions, current weapon, Bullets, death, health, chat, Current vehicle, Vehicle position, rotation, Turret rotation and pitch, and respawning of weapons and vehicles. I’m using blitzplay for the network code, I haven’t done any sort of position prediction or position smoothing yet.

I still need to add or complete:

- Realistic Vehicle Physics (Including rotation inertia, impact physics and those sort of things)
- Ships and Planes ( A lot still to do here )
- Multiple Game Modes, like capture the flag, deathmatch, teamplay and C&C mode ( from Command and Conquer Renegade, it is team play with money which you earn from killing enemies and a regular income, and with that you can buy better characters, vehicles or ships. Which in turn get built at you base in the weapons factory, barracks, or airfield. If a building is destroyed then you can't build any more of units of that type.)
- Singleplayer scripts and triggers
- Create a story line and a name that fits well with my game engine (any ideas would be appreciated)
- Character animations ( Haven’t started with this yet either )
- All the Menus
- Scoring
- BOTS ( I haven’t really looked into this yet but it would be a nice feature )
- Game Saving
- Wildlife and animated fauna
- Models ( I haven’t made any model that are specifically for the game because I don’t have a story yet)
- Refine and expand the network code
- Probably a lot more but I can’t think of it now

Well that all I have to tell for now, If anyone has any suggestions for the story or any other part of the game, or if you would like to contribute to it, please email me fishy418@...

P.S. I'll post up some screenshots soon.

P4 3.2, GF6600GT, 1GB RAM