Worklog for Tricky

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

The Fairy Tale - Extra Notes(Posted 2003-09-30)
The production of "The Fairy Tale" is entering its final stage, as I have more projects I hope I can release it before next year, but that's hard to say... Anyway, I'm sure that I can finish the story soon, so I can start on testing and buxfixing and softening the sharp ends soon... Soon I'll release the user's guide, if some people want to read it and not all typo's and grammar errors I made in there, I would be grateful... I'll be even more gratefull if you speak a language that I don't (that's any language except for English and Dutch), you make a translation of that documentation. I'll post details on the forums as soon as the documentation has been released...

My crew and I have already done some preperations for the next production of mine "Power Of The Rings III", which will be the third and final episode on my "Power Of The Rings" saga. As everything is still in its primal stage I cannot make announcements too much yet, only that a mysterious young girl will be the main character and that this episode will bring the answers to the mysteries left open in the first two episodes...

Further more I alos have ideas for a second episode of "The Fairy Tale", and also another RPG concept that will be in a style very unlikely for an RPG, but I'm not going into too much detail yet...

Once more is known about the things stated in this worklog, I'm going to post on the forums...

-- Tric

Free Stuff For Game Programmers
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

Tricky's computer law:
"Computers can sense when you are in a hurry, because that is the moment they always crash".

The Fairy Tale(Posted 2003-05-15)
The Fairy Tale is another RPG game come my labority...

The Fairy Tale is now halfaway it's production...

With the Fairy Tale I wanted to create an RPG game is a true Fantasy environment, where fantasies like Dwarves, Fairies, Elves, Dragons and that kind of stuff comes alife...

However this kind of concept is really easy to get into one big cliché... My object was to create a strong story with all elements of an average fantasy story, without getting a story that would be so cliché that you know the outcome even before you started on it...

The story was thus the most important factor to work on for me, even before I started on the first line of code... A story of love was the first thing that came to my mind, and love has always been a factor that serves RPG games very well, so a love story would do, but since writing pure loves stories is A. not my forte, and B. not suited for an RPG, there had to be more... I decided to put out the cliché of Romeo and Juliet of a forbidden love out of the closet, but to give it such a twist that very old mysteries would come to light, and those mysteries worked out better than I thought, and before I knew it I amazed myself with a brilliant story for an RPG if I may say so myself...

For the game itself I chose the old-school fashioned RPG style like the old Final Fantasy games, Breath Of Fire, and more games from those times... Mixed in some elements from modern RPG games like Grandia and Wild Arms, and so I started coding...

Much things have been implented, like voice acting and bonus missions, a nice gift is that when you manage to win the game you will be allowed to hear the voice acting samples we rejected for obvious reasons :)

My friends helped me to support the game with music that really suits and RPG, and all together, I think a full-fledged RPG game is being made out of this process...

There's still a lot to be done... Pretty soon I'm planning to reveal some a part of the story so that you might have a little idea, what the story is about.... A few screenshots and more pictures might also be added to this worklog as things are progressing...

Stay tuned!

-- Tric

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

Tricky's computer law:
"Computers can sense when you are in a hurry, because that is the moment they always crash".

Power Of The Rings II - Blitz Convertation(Posted 2003-04-07)
In the past I coded a game called "Power Of The Rings II" in Visual Basic... The game is an RPG, and the sequel to my DOS RPG Game "Power Of The Rings".....

However, Visual Basic is never meant to code games, and that made the game so instable... On most machines it refuses to work, and if it works it crashes continiously...

That's why I translated the Visual Basic code into Blitz Basic... That is easier said than done, since Visual Basic and Blitz are totally not alike... The main convertation is done... But the Blitz version does totally not operate as it should (which is not very surprising), so I'm working to fix everything that Blitz does not understand so well...

I left the converation project alone, but I sure don't want the game go in vain, especially now that the final sequal "Power Of The Rings III", which solves all problems for the player of POTR1 and POTR2, is slowly to get on the way... So the convertation on POTR2 will be resumed...

I hope I can manage to get the code into Blitz to make the game much more stable than the VB version ever was...

I can already say that the game contains lots of dungeons, voice acting, side quests, bosses and optional bosses...

-- Tric

Tricky's computer law: