Worklog for BlackJumper

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Fri 5th Aug 05(Posted 2005-08-04)
I have returned to coding my 3D Minesweeper. Hoorah !

Spent the last couple of days tidying up the code. A few things I have managed to achieve...

(1) I fixed the camera offset issue (main problem was using TranslateEntity where I should have been using MoveEntity)
(2) the new CameraOffset routine now knackered up the camera picking routines, so I hacked in a fix for this new bug too
(3) got the grid to accept non-cubic parameters, so now it can have cuboids from 1-9 in X, Y, Z directions
(4) fixed grid-drawing code that was knackered by a reliance on all axes being same dimensions
(5) shifted and tidied up a lot of code to allow for smoothe restart on change of dimensions
(6) fixed axes drawing routine to redraw from scratch if new dimensions are smaller than old ones
(7) added some key combinations to change the grid size and restart

One of the main lessons to be learned from this was that there are times when you really should junk your buggy code and re-write it from scratch rather than trying to monkey with what is already there. This was a much easier decision to make after a couple of months away than it would be if coming at it the next day. The decision is likely to be the correct one - regardless of the intervening timescale !!!

TODO
====
(1) Comprehensive tweaking of startZoom, MaxZoom and XOffset for each set of X,Y,Z sizes
(2) Logic code to determine if game has been won or lost
(3) Powerup features
(4) Menu mode to allow changing of game settings

=======================================
musn't grumble !

Mar - July 05(Posted 2005-08-04)
On the 20th March I created a dll that allowed StickyKeys/FilterKeys/ToggleKeys to be disabled. This has been placed in the Code Arcs. Find it under the label Block Intrusive keys - StickyKey_dll

I then had an extended hiatus due to pressures at work. I returned to coding StickyKeys to produce Version2 that also deals with ALT+TAB, WIN key, CTRL+ESC, etc. The discussion that prompted this update can be found here.

The code for this was relatively easy to cobble together after an exhaustive search of related material on the Internet.... However, getting the dll to compile in Borland C++ Builder 5.0 (which lacks a data_seg() directive) was a major challenge. There are a couple of examples of emulating this on the net - both contradictory and apparently designed for CB4.0

I eventually managed to get the 'shared memory' thing working, but achieved this through a process of brutal trial and error on the positioning of includes, header files and compiler pragmas. I really should document this while it's still fresh, but the thought leaves me gibbering.

musn't grumble !

Fri 11th Mar 05(Posted 2005-03-11)
I managed to commit a classic schoolboy error tonight...

I spent a fair bit of time on re-jigging my UI and thought I had hit on a good keyboard layout by supplementing the cursor keys with the choice of the SHIFT key. Cue messing around with graphics, coding around the use of this key and much fiddling with placement of UI elements to incorporate the new scheme...

And of course the first time I tried it out I got bumped out of the game by WinXP's sticky keys option that lurks below the surface waiting for 5 rapid SHIFTs in a row !!

Arse!

So I guess it's back to the drawing board next session.

I also need to think about the 'X-ray mode' part of the program now that I spent about an hour on creating a 50 pixel icon :-(

musn't grumble !

Wed 9th Mar 05(Posted 2005-03-10)
Based on a chance encounter with a WolRon comment about Gosse's nSprite library, I have ripped out my AlphaBlitting code and replaced it with nSprite routines.

This tooke quite a while, due to lack of familiarity with nSprite routines and the need to use some workarounds to go with a pixel-perfect collision testing environment using multiple sprites, rather than a coordinate-based system that uses rollovers blitted to the screen.

I also spent a fair amount of time on the Input sections of the program, getting the different methods (mouse, keyboard, onscreen spinners) to co-exist with each other. I am using a HandleHUD() routine to decide what the input states are, then using these states in a HandleInput() routine to determine whether there is keyboard or mouse input and take the appropriate action.

I have also changed the UI a bit - not necessarily for the better. In response to a query about posting to the Gallery, I tried uploading a screenshot... I was surprised to find it got 13 ratings in the first day for an average of 3.8

I will need to re-do the off-centre stuff for the grid. This might need an additional pivot that tracks the camera position, but from 90 degrees around the other side of the grid.

musn't grumble !

Fri 4th Mar 05(Posted 2005-03-04)
Not had much time for this recently as I have been re-coding a website and ran into a problem with Macromedia Contribute repeating regions not working... took a long time to figure out [the site 'root' and the Contribute 'root' were different, so templates got screwed.]

Tidied up a few bits and pieces tonight, including fixing axes and testing the axis-offset for different sized fields. May need a bit of work on this for very small field sizes.

Frame render times can get really ropey if there is a lot going on, so I might have to ditch the current alpha-to-screen approach and invest in some alpha-textured quads. Should probably also make whole chunks more modular in the process, especially to support load/save routines later down the line.

I seem to be losing momentum on this - could just be the huge amount of work I have to do IRL. I may have to grit my teeth and just finish it... too many unfinished projects exist now and it's about time one went all the way to completion :-)

musn't grumble !

Wed 23rd Feb 05(Posted 2005-02-23)
Managed to code up an alpha'ed timer and also some GUI spinners for the XYZ-ordinates. Had to do a fair bit of hacking around to get the input with set coords (rather than mousepicked) choosing of targets working... wouldn't have been a problem if it was properly planned from the start rather than growing organically !!

As a result of lots of new HUD elements eating into the screen (about 1/4 of the left side) I experimented with shifting the actual grid off-centre... with mixed success. A brief foray into CameraViewport() showed that it wasn't really what I was looking for - currently the HUD is alpha'ed over the grid, but viewport would clip the rendering. Eventually settled for a temporary shift of the camera before rendering, although this makes the grid display off-axis, so trying to rotate around the centre leads to some eccentricity {the camera travels round the grid, PointEntity'ing at the centre}. I added in a compensating factor after I realised I didn't really know what I was doing (or even trying to do !) with TFormPoint and TFormVector. I may revisit this with a fresher mind in future.

Also got the counting of flags working (easy) including removing flags when shapes explode or no-neighbour cubes disappear (more hacking!)

musn't grumble !

Wed 16th Feb 05(Posted 2005-02-16)
I got a solution from Perturbatio on the toggle sensitivity question... MouseHit() rather than MouseDown() is our friend in these situations.

Fixed rogue axes and opted for an AlphaBlitting routine (modified version of WebDext's from the codearcs for the moment.) It seems to be quite slow, so I may change this if profiling later shows it to be a serious bottleneck. At one point all alpha stopped working (aaargh!) but it turned out to be the result of me actually saving the wrong version of the graphic file.

I also decided to change my 1-neighbour spheres from a coloured gradient to a bitmapped texture. At this stage the exploding meshes stopped working for the spheres - white copies only. Spent a couple of hours trying to track down what i thought would be an EntityFX problem. Eventually went back to Big10p's code from the codearcs and realised that he was manually texturing the copies after creation. Added a suggested tweak to the codearcs to automatically copy the texture when creating the new mesh.

Added target shape highlighting (green cube atm) to show user what they are clicking on. The HUD is currently pickable to prevent accidental clicking on targets beyond it - but this is EntityRadius stuff due to using a Sprite. This means that there is a non-clickable regiaon around the HUD that obscures targets that look pickable. May have to deal with this in future.

Isolate axes is now in place, and I have made the amount of influence on a shape dependent on whether the neighbouring mine is one of the Cardinal neighbours (strong effect), an Axial neighbour (medium effect) or a Corner neighbour (small effect.) The game is now a lot more playable as a result.

Next up: A timer (for highscores, bonuses, etc.)
Some GUI spinners to manually set x, y, z coords of picked target (for maths teaching stuff)
Counting of flags used and keys available
Introduce keys and other powerups

musn't grumble !

Tue 15th Feb 05(Posted 2005-02-14)
Worked on the HUD today, including a lot of time messing around in Photoshop (then Freehand, then Illustrator) trying to get a simple 'arrows wrapped around a sphere' effect.

Discovered as a byproduct that my axes have long thin cylinders in one direction, but massively squashed 'ellipsoid' cylinders for the other axes as i scaled them but didn't rotate the non-default ones (oops!) Something to fix another day.

I had hoped to be able to use a masking sprite in front of the HUD to show when a control was active by turning on fullbright for just that part of the control. It is not looking as simple as I had hoped... Looks like I will have to faff around with a pixel perfect greyscale mask OR complicate the code by having to write alpha values for the seethrough parts of a coloured mask. Still, should be a learning experience !!

The 'isolate axis' powerup will probably also spawn another game feature... catching keys to 'lock' an axis when you explode a spinning shape.

Another item on the TODO list is how to control the sensitivity of a toggle like this...
If MouseDown(1) Then
		gridvisible = 1 - gridvisible
		If gridvisible Then
			ShowEntity gridmesh
		Else
			HideEntity gridmesh
		EndIf
EndIf

Current thinking is to only flip for +10 or -10 (tweakable) so that the mouse needs to be down for a reasonable amount of time, rather than oscillating between on/off every input cycle.

musn't grumble !

Mon 14th Feb 05(Posted 2005-02-13)
I finally twigged to the fact that I had created a grid of cubes laid out from the centre (using + and - octants) which was what was causing the endcaps placement problem. In hindsight, this was a design flaw... especially as there were inconsistencies with odd and even numbered grids. (e.g. a 3x3x3 grid had a cube dead centre, a 4x4x4 would have a gap at the centre, but cell spacing was not uniform)
Decided to throw out the old code and redo using an empty mesh and adding all guidelines as scaled down meshes based on the gridscale variable. At the end of adding guidelines together the whole mesh is then scaled up at once.

Also added some stripey axes (for later when coordinates are introduced)

Coded in the spin=hint code, but haven't properly tested it yet. It will need some tweaking of spin multiples to get it right. I might alos implement an 'isolate axis' powerup so that a player can constrain spinning shapes to hint in only one direction for a short time.

musn't grumble !

Sun 13th Feb 05(Posted 2005-02-13)
Resolving the hard disk problem took almost exactly three weeks, but I mananged to recover most of my important files. Finally got back to looking at the code for Minesweeper 3D tonight...

I decided it was time to integrate all the little test apps I had been playing with and see how the program would hang together. My BurningCubes demo slotted in fairly easily so that any zero-neighbour cubes would be razed rather than just disappear. I had to rejig the timing of the animation to have a constant framerate by adding
Function UpdateBurningCube()
  If MilliSecs() - Burntime > (1000/BurnFrameRate) Then	
	For acube.BurningCube = Each BurningCube

... do animation stuff

Next
	Burntime = MilliSecs()
  EndIf ; timer
End Function

... and that worked quite well, so a possible technique to use for integrating mini-apps in future.

Also realised that there was a 'perceptual problem' due to the recursive order in which cubes are searched. From the players point of view there was no 'chain reaction' going on as the Reveal routine could easily work its way all the way to the bottom + back before checking cells right next to the one they clicked. Solved this by assigning a BurnDelay based on the 3D distance from the clicked cube.

Also integrated the ExplodingShapes code, which caused a few headaches in getting the following states to co-exist
(1) An unclicked cube
(2) A cleared zero-neighbour cube
(3) A burning cube (animating)
(4) A some-neighbours replacement shape
(5) Exploding shapes

It had been so long since I worked on the code that I ended up 'hacking' rather than 'coding' to resolve the issue of some-neighbour shapes instantly starting to explode versus MAVs when changing the order of replacing clicked cubes with shapes. New mantra might include something about documenting code or some such nonsense.

Tried to play the game and it wasn't as much fun as I had hoped... 3D is just too damn difficult to figure out without more clues. Thankfully I think I have a strategy for some 'hinting' to the player that may help - using spin to suggest the direction of nearby mines.

I decided to implement a box grid to help the player as it is also awkward to tell which shapes are actual neighbours at some angles. This proved to be more challenging than first expected. Using AddMesh caused real issues due to PositionEntity screwing it up, which I didn't initially realise because I wasn't freeing the temporary meshes, so everything looked good on screen :-(

I have now got the grid mostly working, but need to find an efficient way to add the 'endcaps' as it is currently open at the top ends. {each cell is constructed as a mini xyz axis and then AddMesh-ed to the origin}

musn't grumble !

Fri 21st Jan 05(Posted 2005-01-21)
New mantra ... "Pratice what you preach!"

I had a hard disk failure over a week ago. And of course I had failed to do a backup during the festive season.

The disk was still spinning, but a head crash or similar had damaged Windows {XP}, preventing booting.

In trying to fix this by using Recovery mode I realised that I have no idea what the Administrator password is on the laptop. I tried a nifty little linux-based proggy to reset this, but it refused to write the data, so I was still stuck. Eventually decided to reinstall windows. Big mistake !!!
The installer got as far as deleting most of the useful boot files before reporting a damaged CD and bombing out. Now I had no way of getting back in to Windows without reformatting the drive.

Tried to save the situation by using Norton Ghost2003 to backup HD contents, but it wasn't happy about the damaged partition and refused to play ball. Downgraded to an earlier version of Ghost that would copy the 60 Gb disk to DVD-Rs, but GhostExplorer then refused to read the archive. Time spent on writing disks ~ 20 hours. Time spent on copying the lot to a spare laptop ~ 3 hours. Time spent swearing at computer ~ infinity.

I am now in the process of offloading the surviving files to an external drive via a command line. Time spent so far ~ 30 hours. Time remaining ~ 60 hours ??

Moral: "Do the damn backups - the alternatie just isn't worth the hassle."

Looking forward to getting back to some coding when the monster rises from the deeps.

Don'cha just love computers ?

musn't grumble !

Thurs 23rd Dec 04(Posted 2004-12-24)
I have had a bit of a go at extending Big10p's exploding mesh code to accept more information from the source mesh. One critical addition was to get vertex colour information working... the code as supplied does not work and I have posted a comment to the Code Archive to show how to fix this {it was the same EntityFX problem mentioned in an earlier worklog entry.}

I have also worked out a way to pass original rotation data from the source mesh. This could not be encapsulated completely, as the copied mesh is actually a 'snapshot' of the source as it exists at the time of the copy. Although you can read pitch,yaw,roll for that instant, you cannot infer what they will be next gameloop unless you are storing the intended rotation values somewhere else.

I also cleared up some MAVs by removing all pivots and building meshes to be self-centering {I had been positioning some of them relative to a pivot.}

Have also been thinking about the maths behind the game and considering turning it into a jumping off point for some maths investigation work. Possible topics to branch into include...
* 3D coordinates (obviously)
* Polyhedra - regular and alternate topologies
* Nets of polyhedra
* Golden ratio for most aesthetically pleasing polyhedra
* Area of shapes (possible leading to integration)
* Surds + Pythagoras for length calculations
* Sin / Cos / Tan values for cardinal angles
* Regular Polygons --> Circle
* Space diagonals (surds again)
* 4 colour map theorem (face painting)
* Tesselation and packing

The question is... how much work is there in pulling all of that together - and is it worth the time to spend, given that this was just a 'shake of the rust' project to get me back into programming ???

musn't grumble !

Tue 21st Dec 04(Posted 2004-12-21)
OK I did some more messing with the polygon stuff. I spent a lot of time convincing myself that I couldn't flat-shade the faces of a tetrahedron created using the CreateCone(3) function. Only after exhaustive testing did I realise that of course it would use two surfaces ... one for the cone part and one for the base DOH!

Played for a little while with trying to create a primary colours texture in code and texturing different faces with this, but I obviously need more work with u,v coordinates of textures before I can conquer that problem.

I decided to go instead with building the faces of polygons from sets of unwelded verts and using VertexColors to flat shade each face individually. Sat fiddling with some 3D trig on the backs of envelopes (literally) to get the positions for tetrahedron (=4 sides), octrahedron (=8 sides) and nonahedron (= 9 sides). Most other shapes can be made from B3D primitives and I can access sets of vertices to flat shade each face.

I also had a play with Big10P's exploding meshes demo and stripped out the relevant code to get it working with the shapes i had made. There is still a problem with the Copy_Exploding_Mesh() function creating a copy of the original mesh, even though I have scaled it to solve..... Hmmmm! As i type this I think I may have used ScaleEntity() rather than ScaleMesh() so I will try that as a fix. I still need to contact Mr. Chadwick to see if he is happy with me hijacking this code for use in this game.

[update]
Yeah! ScaleMesh did the trick, so I am now just about in the position to integrate the shape-making/exploding bits into the main game code. Just need to code a decahedron shape {probably a pentagonal diprism in case yer wondering} from a raw mesh and I think I am good to go. I have decided to stop at 10 sided shapes because (1) My max game grid is 10x10x10 and (2) I couldn't find any example diagrams for a unadecahedron (11 sided shape). Tellingly the Mathworld site has diagrams for sides n = 4 to about twenty, but NO LINK for the 11-sider.

As an aside, today was the shortest day (Western hemisphere) so I don't feel so bad about it now being 4:50 a.m. It is also my last wedding anniversary (7th of seven)as even I should be able to sort out a divorce before a whole year rolls around :-(

musn't grumble !

Wed 15th Dec 04(Posted 2004-12-16)
Coded the recursive routine that checks for 'empty' mines and clears all the neighbouring empties until it meets one with a mine in a neighbouring box.

All seemed to be going well, but the testing kept throwing up some intermittent glitches... the box clicked on was not always the box being 'checked' and I just couldn't pin it down.

Finally got it by accessing the coords directly from the type rather than converting to a local variable for use. When i posted the code on the Beginner's Section DJWoodgate pinpointed the problem... a typical Copy/Paste error where I had
LocalX = type\x
LocalY = type\y
LocalZ = type\x <---- wrong ordinate

... its amazing how difficult it is to spot stuff like that, even when you know where the error is ocurring. A 'z' and an 'x' are just too similar on hi-res screen !!

So the pathclearing was working visually, and it was time to move on to the cosmetic stuff.

Started to work on the 3D meshes that represent number of neighbouring mines.

First ever playing with creating meshes from vertices. Had to plunder Puki's worklog for some help on using VertexColor command... the trick is to use EntityFX mesh, 2 to get vertex colouring working (and UpdateNormals) for lighting to be effective.

Played around with GetSurface and GetChild on the internally generated CreateCube(), CreateCone() and CreateCylinder() commands. It seems to be more complex than I can fathom at the moment... I can colour a single vertex on these meshes, but don't seem to be able to move beyond that single point. Looks like work for another day (or bite the bullet and build all meshes {including cylinders} for myself)

[update]
Was about to go to bed, then had a mild brainwave... that resulted in the following:
shape = CreateCylinder(20)
ScaleEntity shape, 1, 0.3, 1
;DebugLog "Cylinder has surfaces... " + CountSurfaces(shape)
EntityFX shape, 2

For n = 1 To CountSurfaces(shape)
surf = GetSurface(shape, n)
;DebugLog n + "    number vertices = " + CountVertices(surf)
verts = CountVertices(surf)

For v = 1 To CountVertices(surf)
		VertexColor surf, v, 255-(255.0/verts)*v,Abs((255.0/verts)*v-128),(255.0/verts)*v
	Next
Next

UpdateNormals shape

So it wasn't surfaces or childern that was the problem, but the vertices of the single surface
[/update]

musn't grumble !

Thurs 10th Dec(Posted 2004-12-09)
I started by tweaking the camera system... I had to swap the y and z axes to get things working with the ascending grid coordinates from the array.

I also decided to redo the location of objects, having the grid placed symmetrically about the origin rather than start with the first cube on the origin - I think i needed to do that just to figure out the 3D array to 3D screen mapping.

I then dug around on my hard drive to locate (what turned out to be) Birdie's Fast Type Picking example {forums still down; boy was I glad of all that saving of code I had done years back !!}

Since the max grid size is 10x10x10 at present I wasn't too worried about using a slow picking method, but the whole EntityPick thing was new to me, so it was nice to have a good example while BB syntax is still a bit rusty for me.

Soon had the ability to 'choose' or 'flag' a cube using the mouse.

Moved on to working out the count of neighbour cubes to any given mine. This can all be pre-calculated, as the minefield doesn't change during a single game.

My plan to code this recursively fell by the wayside as I realised that the exception coding would be too much effort. I started just by considering the cardinal neighbours (directly above/below, front/back, left/right) but ran into a really annoying problem... Every time I ran the setup routine it would count the neighbours of only a single mine... and would never count above '1' even if it was touching several.

Stumped for a good while !!!!

Finally realised that I had changed from treating the hasmine field as boolean to using it as a counter for the minenumber (back when I was outputting text to files)

Doh!

The line
if check\hasmine = TRUE
was only ever working for mine #1 {i.e. TRUE = 1}

changed all neighbour checking to
if check\hasmine > 0
and everything started coming up roses.

added the additional checks for all 26 positions around a target cell {red hot on the Copy/Paste keys and mega-concentration on customising each new check}

musn't grumble !

Wed 9th Dec(Posted 2004-12-09)
I have been away from B3D for a long while and have pretty much ditched my previous project. I decided to create a 3D vesion of minesweeper as a way of getting back into programming again.

I had been thinking about the interface for a few days before I found some time to start on the actual programming. [Thanks to BlitzMax release taking the website down that evening I couldn't 'waste' time on catching up with community news]

I started with the idea of using a 3D array to store the data and use this to query for mines, neighbours and empty cells. The idea was to use a recursive routine to check for clear paths when you click on a box with no neighbours.

In implementation I actually built a GRIDPOSITION type and populated it via 3 nested loops (for x, y, z axes)

Initially I put nothing on screen - outputting the contents of the type to a file using Str (typeinstance) {very handy that !!} This let me sort out issues related to array indices, etc. and check that my mine-planting routine was working OK.

When I was happy with that I moved to 3D graphics and put a grid of cubes on screen, with a bit of spin on 'mines' to help me see what was happening behind the scenes. I also added some camera control to be able to orbit the grid, tilt it a little and zoom in and out.

musn't grumble !