Worklog for aCiD2

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Release 1(Posted 2004-05-23)
Ok, release 1 is now out featuring LPS opening and saving, full options, deflectors, wind and a crappy spline editor. The spline editor is getting a re-work and you can drag objects (spline points) around on screen

Cheers,
aCiD2

BETA 1(Posted 2004-05-19)
BETA one now out! Features unlimited emitter creation, blitz export and a nice interface. Next version features some help, progress bar (it looks like it freezes when an emitter is created and possible the spline editor)!

Cheers,
aCiD2

Physics moving in..(Posted 2004-05-15)
Working on physics recently :) Edited Scouse's ragdoll demo to allow shooting the dolls and stuff, so thats very cool :) Currently working on cloth physics.. going quite nicely :)

Cheers,
aCiD2

Oh dear..(Posted 2004-05-11)
Well, posted some screenshots and the tech demos on the blitz forums and it seems that it's quite hated :) Oh well thats there problem, i've taken most of the comments on board and am tackling on, slowly but surely :)

Cheers,
aCiD2

Screenshots(Posted 2004-04-27)
Got some screenshots of the game up alogn with 2 tech demos. Big thanks to my modeller :) You can check them both out by going to: http://www.downloads.polarstudios.co.uk/twisted-souls and for screen shots of my modellers work head over to http://www.forum.polarstudios.co.uk/

Cheers,
aCiD2

Todo List(Posted 2004-04-19)
This lsit is generally for my own use, but you can see the progress on Twisted Souls aswell :)

Time Manipulation
Stopping Time: Currently time can be rewound but not stopped. This system should be easy to integrate because pausing water and particle system just simply involves not calling the update functiosn for them. However, im not looking forward to reanimating enemies. Because the animation MUST resume from where the enemy stopped at. Ive got an idea how to do it, but it will need to be checked still :)

Effects
Integration of third party effects: The following effects are still needed to be built into the game.
+ Bloom Filter: Makes lights in textures seem to 'glow'

Screen colouring: I need to somehow colour the screen, and I think if i stick a coloured Quad (guess a plane would work in this case) up against the screen and changes its blend mode it can be done - thats what RetroBooster has told me.

Second Dimension Rippling: Im not talking about those 2d amiga style effects here ;) What this will be is simply taking a quad with the screen rendered onto it, and then pushing some of the inside vertices in. Going to be quite complicated, and if I want the thing to run faster im sure its going to require a c++ dll to update the normals, because Bltiz really can't do that fast ;)

Cheers,
aCiD2

Rewinding completed(Posted 2004-04-19)
Yep the game is already beginning to take shape. Its taken a good few days but I've finally managed to get the basics of time rewinding down. The library is incredible flexible, so I can also perform operations like rewinding physics. They way it works is by doing frame captures.

Every loop the code captures the frame. It takes the entites x, y, z, pitch, yaw, roll, texture and its dead simple to add other propeties. The structure of this type set is like this:
E.Entity
E\FrameList.FrameList
E\FrameList\Frame.Frame
E\FrameList\Frame\Next or Last.Frame
As you can see it's manually done linked lists, those things always take me a while to get my head around but i've sorted that.

So what more can be done on the time rewinding? Well, not much else really, but there are some systems that are certanly going to need some thought. Some of these include The water system, which uses a mesh that never moves. I guess the only way i can solve that problem is by having yet another linked list part of my Frame Type called Vertices\Vertex.Vertex which i can then manipulate the mesh with. Im yet to try this. Another very similar problem is using Particle Candy and allowing time rewinding with that. Im hoping it wont be tooooo tough.

Other features that are soon to get worked on include Tokamak physics. Im really in need of a rigid body editor so i guess im going to be making one of them...sigh.. :P Anyhow, better get back to work on it now :)

Cheers,
aCiD2