Worklog for Ross C

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Progress!(Posted 2006-05-20)
Ok, it's been a while since i posted on this, but i'm moving forward alot. I have added in loading, using the windows file requestor. Thanks to some code i found in the archives. Also added in scaling mode, which is fairly important.

Other additions include:

Parent/child tracking - A visual link between the child and parent will be in the form of a line between the meshes, which updates and follows when the meshes are moved. I also implemented 3d bounding boxes, coloured so you can identify what mesh is a parent and what is a child. If you select an entity, it will have a bounding box BLUE. It's parent will have a RED bounding box and it's child have have a GREEN bounding box.

Back to the loading system. When a mesh is loaded in, it is put into an array of master meshes. And a copy is created and placed on the map. So, everytime you want another mesh of that kind, you simply copy it, or use the multi-place mode, where you click on the geometry and it will drop a copy and align it to an axis you choose. It doesn't need to be aligned however. This will be useful for alot of things such as placing an entity side by side with another one :o) or say putting chairs against walls. An option to invert the normals would be good too.

All this is done for rendering speeds and as little memory usage as possible. The only problem will be saving this. I will need to save this out as a .b3d and run the final scene through Gile[s] to lightmap it. THEN, export it to .b3d and import it into the editor, break up everything upon loading and save out to a level file, so i can sort out master meshes and what entities are copies... etc

I have made everything centre on it's local axis upon loading into the editor. It makes it simplier to rotate items, as the mesh centre can't be changed for copied entities, as it effects all the copies. They are also scaled to a size of 1 unit wide or deep, depending on which is largest.

There is a few problems with rotate mode. For some reason, when you click but don't drag on a child entity, it spins for no reason. Something to do with the parenting process no doubt. Anyway, screenies later :o)

-----------------------------------------
Athlon64 3200+, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB .WIN XP. DX9.0c

HeightMap to NormalMap Convertor - .bb - .exe | Change texture mask colour/clear alpha info

First Report(Posted 2006-03-16)
I actually posted this a while back, on the blitz showcase i think. But, this is a progress update on the editor. I've added in Rotation mode. Each mode will make use of the Lock grid feature. You can lock any or all axis to a grid, for movement/rotation, and scaling when i get round to it. Same goes for locking movement/rotation along one axis.

Useful for moving say a cube along the X axis. It works pretty well together.

The buttons system works very well too. All of the button are single surface quads. BUT they use 2d screen positioning, just like an image. So, to detect whether the mouse is clicking on a button, i simple do a RectsOverlap check, using the buttons X,Y location and it's width/height. I'm proud of myself for that one :D

To try it out, with the full source code, sparing commented ;o), go here:

www.rosscrooks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/editor_new.zip

-----------------------------------------
Athlon64 3200+, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB .WIN XP. DX9.0c

HeightMap to NormalMap Convertor - .bb - .exe | Change texture mask colour/clear alpha info