Worklog for JimMorris

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Maz & Joe (Complete: 09%)(Posted 2002-05-26)
Alrite? This is my first worklog for my new game Maz & Joe.

The idea behind the game was to make an engine for future projects. As it stands, instead of making something boring, I thought I’d make a game for my girlfriend and her sister. They basically begged me to make a game about them so I thought I would.

I’ve been making another 2D platformer busily in the background but I’ve had a coder’s block in that department. I’m not exactly a competent coder, as I’m sure the Blitz Basic (http://blitzbasic.com) forum all well know, but I do try hard. The thing that stuck me on my previous game was the whole map collision thing. Jumping on to platforms and staying there, hitting into platforms and coming off them again etc. This was tough, for me anyway, and so I thought that I would get some help. Alas, the Blitz Coder (http://blitzcoder.com) site came to the rescue with Krylar’s tutorial on basic map loading and scrolling. I followed this through and now I’ve got the jest of the whole collision thing. Sorted.

Anyway, the idea of the game is Jim (me) is taking Maz (my girlfriend) and Joe (her sister) to work but the car runs out of petrol. So it’s a race against time for the girls to get to their work before the their shift starts. The place contains a few famous places, if anyone is familiar with Abingdon and Didcot in Oxfordshire, UK. Such shops as Alldays and Budgens. Also places like MacDonalds and Travel Inns. This game is basically based on our lives, where we smoke fags a lot, eat MacDonalds a lot and go to Alldays or Budgens (to most probably get our fags). What a life we live, and one that should be put in a game me thinks!

The game itself has a lot of elements like old skool platformers have, but this is what I wanted to aim for. Elements taken from the best games in history such as Mario and Sonic, to make a simple enjoyable platform game engine that could be used time and time again.

Now this game ain’t completely cutesy though. And it is probably advised for people 15+ to play it. This is because it does have fags and smoking in it, does have sex in it and swearing. So it’s pretty much an exact insight into my life!

Currently the moves on offer to each player are:
·Stand
·Run
·Jump
·Smoke
·Eat
·Sex

I've still got to get the animations sorted and the level tiles sorted. But as the game stands at the minute, you can control Maz around a simple level (with proper collision that works!) and collect fags. Even little points come out of the items when they are collected. Im so proud of myself!

Update soon...