Worklog for Miracle

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

ADD: The Series(Posted 2003-06-09)
I'm working on ANOTHER game! Yaay!

I really thought I had momentum with the block one, and I'll probably come back to it before long, but now I'm working on a simpler, more action-packed title with a sort of 3D-Zelda-meets-TFC-only-without-so-many-flags quality. Should be interesting. Let's see how long this one takes to sour on my before I'll go back to the other one ... or start work on a third.

But hey, at least I'm entertained.

Can't stop the rock(Posted 2003-06-01)

I just can't stop doing these silly 3D physics demos. Now I've got them bouncing perfectly off terrains using Blitz collisions. Next I'll probably add in cylinder collisions and get myself even MORE off the track. Sigh.

I'm also sidetracking myself with the possibility of creating a B3D exporter for Hash Animation: Master. At least that will come in handy with the game, since I still have several models to make and I LOVE A:M's modeling and animation tools.

Meh. Who knows where I'll end up with my next update.

Rattle and roll(Posted 2003-05-26)

Look at those frame rates. 300+ FPS for 50 falling blocks all colliding and stacking and being assimilated into the background when they come to rest. I can't imagine making this engine any faster.

About time for a map editor now, I think.

Colliding(Posted 2003-05-11)

Got it going now. Above you see 100 falling cubes interacting with about 30 stationary ones placed randomly in the level. It's a little crude, perhaps, but by gum it gets the job done.

For those who may have been following the "Here, have some physics" thread, I got sidetracked turning my game's 2D collision system into a 3D variety and releasing it, code and all. Now as I go back to my original code, it looks awfully kludgey, which slows me down a bit because you know I HAVE to rewrite it. But anyway ...

Collisions with the background are handled by checking all the points on the map above, below and around where the loose block happens to be. Then I bring in a single "point mass" verlet, place it right on the surface of the stationary cube even with the verlet in question, and check the collision. By the end of the physics-checking phase, that one poor little verlet has traveled to potentially thousands of locations on the map. And let me tell you, the collisions look good. There's a problem with the collision models getting caught on edges, but at least it works 90% of the time.

I almost wish I could redo my collision models for the flying cubes to use the same system. I can't imagine a way around that without going insane with sines and cosines, but hey, it's a nice idea.

Incidentally, what you see up there is two surfaces. That's it.

Thud! Crash! Boom!(Posted 2003-05-03)
I've completely scrapped my original idea for a physics system and tossed in some wifty verlet integration a la Thomas Jacobsen's "Advanced Character Physics" article on Gamasutra. Verlets ROCK HARD. 100 bouncing spinning colliding entities at 60 fps? Yes please!

So I'm back where I was before, with a physics system that works plus a level-building algo that works; I just need to make the two ends meet. My stubborn insistence that all the moving blocks should be rendered as a single surface doesn't help things any. Speed, speed, speed, it's all about the speed.

On the up side, now that I have the verlet thing working, actual character interaction with the environment will be VERY easy. Yay for modular code!

Blocky worky(Posted 2003-04-20)
My block-building engine is complete! Since the entire level is made up of blocks, I've thrown together a routine which consolidates all the "stationary" blocks into a single model with only one surface. In so doing, I've learned quite a bit about Blitz3D's surface and texturing commands.

Consolidating all the blocks (about 300 on screen at once) into one surface, with a TrisRendered hovering near 3,000, changed my FPS from ~100 to over 600 (!). Even if I clear and rebuild the entire level each frame, FPS stays in the high 300's. Wow. The level is even multitextured with two sets of UV coordinates. I do have to run UpdateNormals on the level to make the lighting turn out right, which drops the FPS to around 150 again, but I'm going to try setting normals while I build the level and see if that speeds it up as much as I think it will.

My initial tests with the physics system are promising. I'm basically rewriting large parts of it while I'm writing the level-building system so everything is "toight as a toiger."

Next step: running characters around on the blocks, platform stylee. Mario, eat your heart out.

And away we go ...(Posted 2003-04-11)
I'm finally getting past the technical-proof stage of my game, so I decided it was time to start the hype engine.

The game is tentatively titled "R0X," and it's a hybrid adventure/action/puzzle game about an astronaut stranded on a planet made entirely of strange cube-shaped rocks. It'll be a 2D-esque sidescroller, but in 3D.

So far I've created a method to hide blocks if they're in the middle of a larger group, and I'm just about finished with a semi-realistic physics system (blocks that spin! blocks that collide! blocks that bounce!) and an algorithm which lets me consolidate groups of blocks as a single surface for quicker rendering. It's imperative for me to get the block engine as efficient as possible, since I'll eventually add a backdrop and a bunch of animated characters. Yes, there will be aliens. Oh yes. <evil grin>

More as it goes ...