Worklog for Techlord

ELEMENTAL

Return to Worklogs

Network Message Compression(Posted 2007-09-10)
I elected to go with a adhoc form of compression that converts Int/Floats to 1-4 byte Strings, and compresses Text using a Static 4096 English Word LUT (aka Dictionary Compression) available on both Server/Client. The LUT generates a 2 byte index String for the 4096 most commonly used English words (to include chat abbreviations). Integer/Float Strings and Compressed Text Index Strings are then concenated into a single line of text and sent via WriteString().

I can probably achieve more Text compression if I use phrases.

DarkTokens: Coin-Op (MicroTransaction) API

Mesh Animation User Interface(Posted 2007-08-20)
I have decided the EMG's GUI will be 100% 3D. Thus, I have redirected focus on MAUI's 3D Mesh GUI System. I will continue improvements on the Single Surface 2D GUI as inspiration permits.

Gunvertor: Modular FPS Weapon System(Posted 2005-08-14)
The concept behind Gunvertor is a Modular FPS Weapon & HUD System that be assembled into virtually a countless assortment of weapon designs or used for specific set of static weapon designs.

Weapons are assembled from interconnecting weapon components. Each component effects the player, weapon, and ammo in a specific manner.

Weapon Components:

The Chamber: The Weapon Core Component in which other components connect into. It is the mechanism loads ammunitions from the ammunition storage into the weapon, applies motivational force, directs ammunition through the barrel, and ejects ammunition byproducts. Chambers effect the amount, type and speed of loading ammunitions.

Barrel: Projects the ammunition. Barrels effect ammunition range and dispersion. Long Barrels produce long range/ narrow dispersion; Shorter Barrel produces short range/wide dispersion. Barrels also provide a ‘heat sinking’ for the weapon.

Loader: Can be attached to the barrel or magazine. Loads ammunition with Hand2.

Trigger: Control mechnism that activates Firing Unit/Mechanism. The Trigger determines how the user can fire the weapon. A weapon can posses multiple triggers.

Firing: Unit This component provides motivational force to a ammunition. High Quality Firing Units can project ammunition a great speeds long distances.

StockGrip: Absorbs Recoil. Recoil can effect weapon handling and accuracy. High Quality Stocks can absorbs greater amounts of recoil. Handgrip attaches to player.

Magazine: Magazine \ PowerCell \ Canister are storage components. These components effect Ammunition Refill/Recharge speed and Storage Quantity

AmmoMeter: A 3D HUD Display for Ammo Count associated with the magazine.

Scope: A HUD accessory component that assist in visibility of the target (ie: Zoom, Infrared, Thermovision)

Sight + Cursor: A HUD accessory component that assists in targeting object. Displays Targeting Cursor.

Distorter: This accessory attaches to the Barrel of the weapon to muffle sound of Solid Ammunitions or change the visual characteristics of Energy Ammunitions.

Bayonet: This Blade Weapon accessory attaches to the barrel of the weapon and used as melee weapon.

ELEMENTAL My Final Blitz3D Game/Engine(Posted 2005-08-11)
ELEMENTAL is my final Blitz3D Multiplayer FPSRPG Engine/Game project. ELEMENTAL integrates all of my concepts, projects, and code into one.

AOBPwB3D: Applied Object-Based Programming w/ Blitz3D
ObjectBuilder & TypeWriter V: Custom Type/Table-based Template Code Generation Utilities.
BlitzScript3D: Blitz3d Syntax Compiler and Virtual Machine.
MAUI: Animated 3D Mesh/2D Single Surface Graphical User Interface.
Gunvertor: Modular FPS Weapon System.
PersistentWorld3D: Mutli-user Level/Quest Building System.
Cyborg Network Model: An AI-Interchange Network Model.
TBNet: Cash-Driven TournamentBlitz Event Management System.

Desired Engine/Game Features:

* Process Optimization System (VIS)
Occlusion and Portal affect collsion, processing, and visibility of game objects

* LOD Multi-mesh Mesh Support

* Networked Multiuser Layer-based, Level Builder

* Basic Syntax Scripting --> FMS AI and GUI

* Network Multiplayer --> Chat --> eMail

* CSV Resource Loading

* Label-based Mesh loading

* Physics Collision & Ragdoll System

* Triggers --> Waypoints| Warps(Gravityfields) | Portal
Triggers are static collision objects that activate an action upon collision with player, bot, projectile, or particles.
Waypoints are a type of trigger that direction of movement for bots
Warps are a type trigger that that influence the movement of bots, projectiles, platforms, or particles.
Portals are a type of trigger that turn on/off the visibility of sections not visible to FP Camera

* A* Pathfinding Obstacle Avoidance

* Animated Mesh-based GUI & Text

* Single Surface: Particles, Decals, Lens Flare, Foilage System

* GunVertor Weapon System

* Centeralized Game Asset Database and Inventory
All game objects are defined and loaded in a online database

* Builtin Upgrade System

* Performance Monitoring

* Cash Tournament Interface

** Cutscenes and Dialog

** Camera System: Rail movement, CamQuake