Worklog for octothorpe

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Caffeine + Requirements = Code Complete(Posted 2006-02-07)
I'm not usually one for marathon coding sessions, but in the last 24 hours I've spent roughly 18 chugging through my requirements list. As a result, I've got a hackish yet functional map editor! It could use some refactoring and there are probably a few UI bugs, but it's done!

P.S. Code Complete is the title of a software development book which I remember being quite good.

------------------------------------
Container Classes in B3D

Glad I read that book on Software Development processes(Posted 2006-02-04)
Now that I'm happy with the engine's functionality it's time to take another crack at the editor. This is going to be more complicated than I first anticipated, so I'm going to discard my papier mache prototype and make a serious attempt.

Requirements development is boring, but so incredibly useful! Thinking about every tiny little feature has made me realize which will be useful and which won't be. I've simplified the parts of my program that were getting complicated and planned out the parts of my program which I was avoiding thinking about. The majority of the architecture is already done because I'm sharing a lot of code between my game and my editor, so now it's just menial code construction.

Just for fun, here's my editor's requirements list:

;map_grids
;	create new map_grid (becomes the furthest background)
;	delete map_grid (requires confirmation - cls:input"are you sure?")
;	rearrange map_grid up/down
;		trying to move a map_grid up when it's the first background makes it a foreground (and vice versa)
;	set a map_grid's tileset (type in the name)
;	set a map_grid's parallax settings
;	resize a map_grid (max viewable area with current parallax settings are shown) (confirmation if map_grid is shrinking)
;	toggle a map_grid's visibility
;	left-click to select a map_grid as the currently editable one
;physical_map_grid
;	displays in front of all normal map_grids and uses a special tileset (can be made invisible)
;	is automatically updated by changes made to the primary (frontmost) background map_grid
;		when a tile on the primary is set to 0, the corresponding pmg tile is too
;		when a tile on the primary is set to non-zero, the corresponding pmg tile is set to 1.
;		these automatic updates only occur if the pmg's tile already contains only 0 or 1, thus preserving "special" tiles
;spawns
;	left-click over empty space to create an actor (prompt for class$)
;	left-click to select an actor
;	left-drag to move an actor
;	keyboard button (del) to delete selected actor (requires confirmation)
;	keyboard button (?) to toggle \facing
;	shift-left-click to create a clone of the currently selected actor
;portals
;	left-drag over empty space to draw a new portal (prompt for dest_map$, dest_tx, dest_ty)
;	left-click to select a portal
;	left-drag to move a portal
;	keyboard buttons (arrow keys) to resize the selected portal
;	keyboard button (del) to delete selected portal (requires confirmation)
;	right-click on a portal to "jump" to the destination
;		(auto-save, load destination map, centre on the dest_pos, store info in globals for hotkey to create link portal)
;	keyboard button (?) to create a portal linking back to the portal most recently jumped from
;		if the new portal is not on the visible screen, pan the screen to show it
;			(this is important because work flow may be: don't know dest coords so enter 0,0 as dest, right-click to open dest map,
;			pan to where the portal should go, press hotkey several times wondering what's going wrong)
;	?keyboard button (backspace) to jump back to the portal most recently jumped from
;general
;	show map's filename and mouseover's physical tx,ty at all times in the corner of the screen
;	grow/shrink entire map 1 row/column at a time
;	load, save, save as... (automatic backups, confirmation on overwrite)
;	mousing over a tile position which is outside the currently selected map_grid's bounds should show a red X under the mouse cursor?
;tile selector
;	show as many whole tiles as possible
;	buttons to scroll the palette by one row at a time (but no scroll indicator)
;	the currently selected tile is shown elsewhere
;simple map_grid editing tools
;	paint a single tile with the currently selected tile with the left mouse button (pencil)
;	select the moused-over tile as the currently selected with the right mouse button (eyedropper)
;	pan the map with the middle mouse button (hand)

Container Classes in B3D

Round 2(Posted 2006-02-03)
More progress on the graphics API. My poly-surface (as few as possible) pixel-perfect sprite system is finally making me happy. Now I just have to wait and see if it'll choke in a real game.

It's really cool that I made the game code modular enough to be able to run the game inside my map editor. The editor needs a lot of UI work still, which I'm really not looking forward to - as I don't intend to write a good UI system if it's only going to be used by the editor.

Still on my todo list:

- a few minor architecture changes
- map exits (walking off an edge as well as entering doors)
- editor functionality (manipulate spawns and map exits, tile selector, layer manipulation)
- simple particle effects
- simple in-game menu system
- find an artist
- make a real game

Container Classes in B3D

The story so far...(Posted 2005-11-12)
This is the furtherest I've come to actually creating a game: a game engine with architecture I'm happy with and a start on a map editor.

Graphically, the engine supports an arbitrary number of tiled foregrounds and backgrounds, each with its own parallax settings. Testing with frame limiting off presents a favourably high framerate (270 FPS) with 20 enemies and two tiled backgrounds. Currently, my bottleneck seems to be number of triangles being rendered for the tiled backgrounds - I may have to implement a "looking-glass" class to create quads only for tiles which are onscreen.

I'm stuck for ideas though. So far the gameplay is Zelda 2 inspired: short rangle melee attacks, crouching, jumping, hopping backwards when hit, some hearts in the corner of the screen on the HUD layer. As much as I love the Zelda series, I'd like to do something novel. All the ideas I've had are exploration-oriented and don't leave room for combat, which I'd like to incorporate.

I'd like to release the source eventually, both to help people learn and to provide a framework for making more 2d (platform) games.

Container Classes in B3D

Information(Posted 2005-11-07)
Primer moved to Blitz3d Tutorials forums to facilitate feedback.

Container Classes in B3D