Worklog for Rick

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

High Voltage(Posted 2002-01-19)
Hmm..not sure if i'm suppose to edit the previous entry or start a new one? Will try this first and see if any yellin starts

I've managed a few more changes for HV. Facing the AI and winning is now quite difficult with 3 possible outcomes

1 - You defeat him (Continue Playing)
2 - He defeats you (Game Over)
3 - He escapes (You can face him again)

Actually #3 could be "You Escape" hehe. But regardless of how the outcome of the AI turns out you lose all your collected circuit components even if you didnt die at all against him. Good points however if you manage the kill without getting killed.

Game Changes
-----------
I added in a scrolling play area, but this killed the fps rate so I took it back out. The difference ran from an average of 61 fps without to 30 fps with.

The player now spawns back where they died. If they are in the process of drawing then the spawn is back at the line's start point.

The code for drawing the electricity of the storm has been redone. It is much faster now and much more controlable.

16 channels of sound are now in game. Still a few bugs of when a sound should be played, but not getting the problem where sounds conflicted with one another.

The AI's death and the subsequent destruction of the player's circuit board looks much better.

Looking Ahead
-------------
Mostly now its tracking down small bugs in the game. Along with that I intend to give the graphics and sounds another nice going over and incorperate the high score entry process a facelift. Also need to come up with an opening title shot. The code is really getting sloppy with the new additions and I've identified at least 4 more routines that need rewritten. This will most likley free up even more FPS and make it much easier to navigate within the code (boy i get lost tracking things down now sometimes hehe)

Another Demo Update that will allow more levels of playing, but will not include all the features of the game (hey, its a Demo right?)

High Voltage(Posted 2002-01-06)
This is my first entry into the work log and my first game developed with BB. I started out early in programming back when I was about 14 and did write a few programs using Bally Basic, Atari, and Commadore 64, but I didnt pursue a programming career as I got older. Back then people didnt think much could be made for someone to write games where i was living lol.

High Voltage is a bit like Qix in that you have to fill a percentage of the screen while dodging bad guys. There are special items that you can pick up along the way and different level bosses that you face as you progress.

Being new to BB and way out of programming shape I find that alot of what do can be trimmed, and trimmed, and then trimmed again only to be trimmed once more by someone with experienced eyes. HV runs a bit slow in the higher levels and my goal is to fix that with trimmer code, all the while improving upon the game and eventually moving it into a 3d environment.

Basic game controls with arrow keys, and the left alt to move in slow mode for more points. Its also got joystick control with the main fire button acting as your slow mode button and the secondary button acting as the "space" bar needed to continue past info screens.

An HV demo has just been compiled and released so that I can begin getting outside feedback. More items, bosses, action, and game efficiency will be what I currently work at.