Worklog for Pakz

Minecraft like project

Return to Worklogs

Video of a map on low end laptop(Posted 2014-11-04)
http://youtu.be/XJHe6RYqQyA

Code from yesterday(Posted 2014-11-04)

Yesterday I wanted to experiment with making tunnels. I made something simple. I also made code to optimize the map. The code checks if it can create bigger cubes. It takes a little bit of time but the result is good.

Here the code :

More optimizing(Posted 2014-11-03)
I just finished my first attempt at a cave. It did not look to good yet.
I did create a routine that loops through the map and checks from the largest cubes to the 1 size cube if they can replace sets of Tiny cubes. Thus reducing the amount of triangles. The reducing is pretty fast.

I also tried the last code here on my gaming laptop and it can Handle bigger maps. But I wil develop the code on the slow pc and make it so that you can increase the size for fast computers.

I now Need to find better ways of creating maps.

New try(Posted 2014-11-03)

I spend a couple of hours trying to make maps. This one is quite big and generates fast to. Code below (no external media) Use the w key to move forward and the mouse to look.
See how big you can make the maps on your rigg by changing global mapw and mapd to higher values.

Thing I made - random mountain like(Posted 2014-11-02)

This is one of the first things I made. It is a block structure made up of cubes. The next thing I did was to try and turn cubes combinations into bigger cubes. This went wrong as it took to long.

Above is a map that I made that has some cube replacing done. It takes about 10 seconds to replace 2 cube combinations to 1 cube with the same size. This takes to long I think.

Here a video of what I have now. http://youtu.be/IlDX6ANvQ-k

Here the last code I have where I optimized a bit.

Learning and designing(Posted 2014-11-02)
A few days ago I decided to Do Some 3D programming. Years ago I made a few things but i stopped doing 3D things.
Computers got better I hope so i think i can make bigger things.

The first thing I tried was to get with the help of the code archives create a base to start with. I decided to create maps that look like those in minecraft.

I discovered how to create simple maps with just a few lines of code. I am using that to create the maps. I Need to start to Discover how to get pretty maps.

I have already got ideas on how to make caves. I Will experiment with that soon. I can get a few hundred thousand tris on my work pc. I have already started with making code that removes the Tiny cubes and replaces them with bigger ons. That would make bigger maps possible.
A few hours ago though I got to the point where it took tens of seconds to loop through the map array where the code finds sets of blocks to replace.
That was a setback. I Will try to speed it up.

I Will place the code I make on this worklog. It wont require external files.
The code will be b3d.