Worklog for Phish

Worklog 1

Return to Worklogs

Unity Screenshot(Posted 2002-02-08)
Thought it was about time I showed a screenshot! :-)

--Phish
Joseph Humfrey Online Portfolio, Elizabeth Goddard

Unity Update(Posted 2002-01-14)
It's been quite a while since I last posted an update, so here goes.

Neil and I have been working on our scripting system (for missions) - although we haven't actually got any code written up, we have been designing the syntax. We want this to be as easy to learn and to read. I have written a sample script, using the convensions we designed. Some time we will have to write the scripting system itself, but I have a feeling it may not be until we have nearly finished the game - it is easier to write the scripting system if you have something to script :)

So, I have started on the movement system. We both wrote a few test versions before I started writing this version. I wanted to get a head start on him, because I had this way of coding which I wanted to prove to him :) Now I have a nice movement system, in which I can put a load of ships, each with their own speeds etc. I have a nice system so that for example, if you have a ship: s.ships = new ships, you can assign it as the player's by simply saying "player = s" and the camera will be updated and everythin', but your old ship will continue to move at its own speed. To think that Neil wanted to use global variables such as "playerXSpeed" :) (sorry neil :D )

The next step I believe will be the particle system which I will integrate into the movement system from stage 1. The question is, will I use different systems for the projectile/particle systems? Particle system are for things like smoke effects etc, and projectile system are for things like weapon fire, and flying pieces of destroyed ships. Once that is done, then I can work on things such as damage and collision. What happens after that? Well, I could start on AI :)

--Phish

--Phish

Improved Galaxies(Posted 2001-11-23)
Well, I have continued to work hard on my galaxy generator, which displays a randomly generated galaxy in full 3D. In the game, it will be used as the 3D map, so that you can move between stars.

I have fully implemented mouse movement with the right button and scroll wheel (for zoom). It is completely smoothly with acceleration values rather than just velocities. Also, I cut out a large segment of stars from the center of the galaxy which were slowing down the program enormously. Now there is a pretty glowing ball there to represent the dense mass of stars. In fact, I think I prefer this faster method to the slower, more complex method, so all in all, it is pretty damn gorgeous, though I say so myself :-)

Also, Neil and I have been working on the PCS or "public content system". Perhaps this name is becoming outdated, but at the same time, it is sticking, so probably won't change. We are working out the directories within the content directory of the game, and from there we can work out the data structures (types). It'll be pretty important, because as soon as the game hierarchies are worked out, we can code anything which relies on game content without worries, as well as create the content itself!

Ship design and modelling continues... I have been asking for advice from friends as to what kinds of designs there should be. I want the ships to be innovative, but more importantly, very cool looking. :-)

--Phish

First Entry!(Posted 2001-11-15)
Well, I've decided to use this system on BlitzBasic.com - I thought it seemed like a nice idea, and useful for keeping track of my work. I'm going to use it to keep track of my part in the development of a game, which is being developed by me and a friend from school. It is basically a 3D space exploration/trading/action game.

Here is what I have accomplished up to this point:

* Most aspects of the game have been designed, if not on paper, then in my head :-)
* I got a landscape trial to work - I decided to use it for the background when landing on a planet. It's going to be used for little more than eyecandy, and to give the whole landing lark an aesthetically pleasing taste... or something.
* I have been working on my nice dynamic 3D GUI system. Neil and I have been trying to work out how to make it so that you can click on buttons. The windows are all 3D sprites, so it will be quite complicated to work out.
* I made a galaxy generator, and now it has been fully implemented into 3D, including nice clouds of stars. However, it runs quite slowly with any more than 2000 stars, and below that threshold, the whole thing looks crappy, and to be blunt, not worth while.
* I have modelled quite a few of the ships already! Woohoo!

--Phish