Worklog for qim

shift.remake

Return to Worklogs

Not dead yet...(Posted 2010-03-06)
Wow, almost 4 months no entry. Sounds like the fate of most worklogs. ;-) Well, I was searching for a job, which was more important than getting my game finished - at least until I earn millions with my future games...

So, any news about the game? Yeah, of course. I finished a first version of a level editor. At the moment I'm porting all levels from C64 to Windows. It's easy, because the original SHIFT contained a level editor, too.

During this I remembered some very annoying game features, which I decided to re- or probably improve. Eg. the original game contained invisible walls you would only encounter, if you run against them. The hidden bonus levels were full of these walls and as you just had a limit amount of allowed hits in bonus stages, there was absolutly NO chance to finish them (until you drew the found walls to a sheet of paper). That never was fun, so I replaced them with regular walls. Doesn't make the game easier though.

"If you build it, they'll come!"(Posted 2009-11-17)
Almost 20 years ago there was a game called "SHIFT" on a german C64 diskmag called "Magic Disk 64". I really enjoyed this game... no, even more: Since over 15 years I'm haunted by the idea to do a remake of it.

So what's this game about? Basically it's a Sokoban clone, but with some extras like oneways, locked doors, exploding things, etc. It's really fun to play. And this is my worklog about the progress.

During the last two days I wrote the skeleton of the game: important vars, game states, basic menu and ingame functionality.

Before I continue with the game logic, I'll have to write a level editor.