Worklog for _JIM

Leve editor / Engine

Return to Worklogs

I have created fire!(Posted 2009-12-23)
It’s been a while since my first blog post. Lots of things happened in the meantime, most of them slowing down the development of the editor and game engine. However, I’m back and I bring good news! Remember those area checks (triggers) and scripts I was talking about at the end of my previous post? Well, they’re here!

Area checks have been in there for a while. Scripts were working as well about 2 weeks ago. In the level editor that is. Getting them to run in the preview tab (actual game simulation) was quite tricky. It took a lot more than I anticipated, but now they’re getting along quite nicely.

So how do those exactly work? Quite simple actually. Each prop can have an unlimited number of areas defined inside and each area can have its own script. For now, scripts are run only when the player enters the area. In the near future, each area will be able to have lots of scripts attached, based on the triggering condition: time greater than something, player has certain properties, per-frame, etc.

Scripting system

The scripting system is a very powerful tool and this means there’s a high chance of over-using it. Scripts, unfortunately, are very slow compared to compiled code, but offer a lot of customization. Obviously I’m trying to keep the best of both. Instead of having scripts rule the game, I plan on keeping them one-shot actions. In other terms, I mean to have the scrips execute as rarely as possible and tell the engine what to do, instead of having the scripts run everything. This keeps the flexibility of the scripts while preserving the speed of the engine. Of course, it’s not free and it’s not as easy as it sounds. In order for the scripts to pull the levers, first I have to make the levers and connect them to something. Time for an example! Let’s say we want to control they movement of the player. The slow way would be something like: “If left key is pressed, move player to left. If right key is pressed, move player to the right.”. This would be defined in the script, which is supposed to run every frame, check the keys and move the player if necessary. Does the job, but it’s very slow. The right way to do this is to run a script once that does this: “Set the left movement key to: Left Key. Set the right movement key to: Right Arrow” and then have the engine run according to what the script configured. Advantages: the engine runs the code (fast), you can set any key for movement (flexible). Disadvantages: the support for this has to be built withing the engine. That means more work for me, but better speed in the end.

Other stuff

Being low on “Programmer Enthusiasm”, I worked on a few small examples which will come in hand quite soon. One is a small (and very fast) particle system. Another is something very similar in concept, but quite different inside the code. Both of those are very useful when the time comes to add in the eye-candy. The last experiment is a small (fast as well) pathfinding system. Not sure how useful this will be in the future, but since I was bored and it only took about 45 mins, I say it was well worth it. Working on a big project and dealing with complicated problems really drains the enthusiasm, but having completed those small experiments with exciting results refills it quickly.

Got a large TO DO list and lots of inspiration, so it’s back to work for me!

If you're interested in our project, you can watch our blog here: http://www.pixel-toaster.com/blog/

Andrei Jiman
If it looks unsafe, poke it with a stick. If it doesn't work, just bash it with a rock.

First entry(Posted 2009-08-23)
The core idea of the engine is to be: flexible, fast and easy to use.

The most important for me right now is flexibility. The point is to limit both artists and level designers as less as possible thus allowing them to come closer to the concept they dreamed of. The catch is that sometimes flexibility kills “ease of use”, meaning that those dreams will be harder to reach. It will be a challenge to find the balance between the two, but I can’t say I dislike challenges :) Last, but not least, comes speed. This is an issue I am not quite concerned about just yet since as we speak our engine is fast enough to run on low end cards. I have a few tricks up my sleeve, but they are not needed at the moment and I can’t afford spending time on optimizing something that doesn’t exist yet.

Now let’s talk about the level editor. The whole idea behind it is that it’s not “Rinni – The Elements of Xi Level Editor”, it’s “Pixel Toaster Studios Level Editor”, meaning that I don’t plan on using it JUST for Rinni, but for the vast majority of the 2D titles that we might release in the future. The downside of this plan is that it will take longer to get the tools ready, but once they’re ready, it will be a breeze to come up with new titles, eliminating most of the hard and redundant work. All that will be left to implement is gameplay mechanics and very specific features (speaking from a programming point of view, of course).

So, how does our engine work? Well, it’s mostly based on “props” (I call them “props”, but you can call them objects, items or whatever you like). Those “props” are supposed to make pretty much all of the game, from a rock to an NPC or a door.

The “prop” concept contains: one or more images that define the aspect of the prop, a collision hull used for physics (optional), areas that trigger scripts (optional), scripts (optional) and sounds (optional). At least this is what I’ve thought about so far. The concept will change once we need more stuff. As you can see, you can define pretty much anything with this concept. Let’s take an NPC for example: a bunch of images (the character, its shadow and probably a little bird flying around him), a script that moves him around, a few sounds both for him mumbling an the bird singing and an area around him that triggers a quest or a chat with him.

This looks pretty simple actually and most of it actually is simple to implement. However, there’s a huge difference between implementing this in the game engine and in the editor. Allow me to exemplify:

We’ll take a basic example of drawing 3 overlapping images that move in a given direction.

In the engine we need to adjust the coordinates (for movement) and draw the three images. On the other side, in the editor we must make sure you can add images (and remove for that matter), you can select and position images in the right place, that we allow for the changing of the order the images are drawn, that we have an easy way to define the direction and speed of the images and have a “preview” mode that behaves like the engine above.

Things suddenly got way more complicated. This is pretty much the reason level editors are made before the game itself and the same reason why there’s usually more development time invested into the editor instead of the game itself.

Andrei Jiman
If it looks unsafe, poke it with a stick. If it doesn't work, just bash it with a rock.