Worklog for Twitchfactor

Sin Castles

Return to Worklogs

ARGH!(Posted 2008-01-19)
Man, I just had the most frustraiting 6 hours in recent memory.

I just got into BlitMax fully and realized, MaxIDE pretty much blows unless you're doing really simple stuff. Even then, I love how it "Macintizes" all of the errors (basically telling you there's a problem, but not wanting to hurt your little head with what the problem really is or pointing you in a useful direction).

Anyway, so seems that the only real IDE worth having is BLIDE. So, I download it, install, get frustrated that I can't change all of the colours in the IDE, but it's 100x better than MaxIDE, so I'm all happy...

...that is until I realize I can't get any quick docs on commands (F1). Odd...
Then, I realize I can't properly sync modules! WTF?!?
Worst part??? Well, it seems to lock up horribly, every time I try to sync modules or check for updates.

After looking *everywhere* for some net settings in the IDE, I can't find it. No one on the net's had this problem (and the forum search function here is pretty pooey).

FINALLY! I disable the stupid Norton Anti-Virus nonsense and viola! I can sync mods, got F1-functionality and all the goodness.

I swear, if it weren't for all of the nastiness running around the PC, I wouldn't even have Norton's on my machine, at all! So sick of it constantly bugging me to "fix" something by "updating". Piss off!

Makes me want to get a Mac...

...Anyway, I'm happily back to coding in wonderful BlitzMax, using the lovely BLIDE (which I still wish I had more colour control, but I digress).

Next update should actually have some pix of what I'm working on, as soon as I can figure out how to post them.

----------------------------------------
"The Biggest Thing You've Never Heard Of"
Twitchfactor.com

Getting started(Posted 2008-01-17)
So, I finally got off my ass, after lurking for some time and bought Blitzmax. I'm finally gonna do a game I've been wanting to do since 1988. It's a top-down shooter that nowadays would be called a "boss rush".

Foregoing the usual trappings of a shooter, we cut straight to the boss fight and go from there.

I've been making games professionally pretty steady for the past 21 years, but I haven't done any hardcore coding of my own for a good 10. So, this is not only me making one of my dream games, but also me getting my hands dirty again.

Fun learning (relearning) to program and not only relearning to program, but a new programming language. Luckily, scripting for most AAA engines is largely object-oriented Basic or C derivative (some JavaScript), so Blitz isn't too foreign.

Should have something on the go pretty soon now, cause Blitz is a pretty great language.

----------------------------------------
"The Biggest Thing You've Never Heard Of"
Twitchfactor.com