Worklog for Drak

Sphere Wars 2

Return to Worklogs

Update(Posted 2010-01-29)
1. Players must now kill all enemies on the level to make the portal to the next level active.

2. Adjusted the enemy movement code. It seems they weren't following correctly. Now works as intended.

3. Continue working on more levels.

Progress(Posted 2010-01-26)
I took the basic engine from my 1st sphere wars game and turbocharged it. Sphere Wars I was the FIRST complete game I ever made. That was years ago. I've taken what I've learned from my many simulation programs and incorporated the new knowlege into this game. I've made a TON of progress in the last few days.

1. Most importantly, I got the level editor UP AND RUNNING! The first Sphere Wars I hardcoded every enemy into the game, no longer that is the case. With a few simple commands I can add enemies to the map at anytime and save the locations into a data file. When I return, I can load the file and continue where I left off. In the final version, all I have to do is load that data file for each level.

2. Better textures. I used Maplet for SW1, and again for SW2 I'm using Maplet again. However, I know way, way more about texturing and how to make textures, so the levels look drastically better.

3. More and better AI. More choices, better movement, now all enemies shoot visible projectiles.

4. Spheres now have defensive turrets and can call in for shock troops if needed.

5. The player's weapon has adjustable fire rate. Set it anywhere from 150 to 6000 round per minute! Extremely hard to control at 6000 RPM!

6. You can turn off the targeting reticle now to make the game even harder.

7. Blood! Blood is now enabled when a shell hits an enemy. Alternatively, you can turn it off and enable a different sprite instead if you prefer.

A few pics...

Another... this sphere is firing at me, thats what the white dot is. You can also see a blob of blood falling off him to the left of the sphere.