Worklog for Drak

Coastal Battery

Return to Worklogs

MG42 active... 2nd weapon almost done!(Posted 2008-05-24)
Been working on adding the mg42 functions and functionality to the bunker defense. Also modeled 3 new bunkers, all with complete interior rooms as well.

Heres a couple of screens of the mg42:

Added Effects(Posted 2008-05-14)
Today I added water splashes to exact place a shell impacts the water. This was a MUST when firing at ships far in the distance because you can't see if you're shooting too far or short without it. Also added a ground impact to the beach directly below the player for both his shells and enemy shells.

First Impressions(Posted 2008-05-13)
I'm creating a shooting game where the player is in charge of defending a beach from invasion. The player is able to walk around freely to fortified locations and use the appropriate defensive weapons to deal with the threat he deems most hazardous. These include, a bunker mounted anti-ship battery, an stationary anti-aircraft cannon, and an emplaced MG42. So far I've only completed the shore-mounted anti-ship cannon. The player at first will probably use this cannon to defend against landing craft and possible also sink some enemy ships. It is however highly uneffective against troops once they land on the beach. It is also useless against aircraft. The AA gun will not be very effective against troops either, but will most likely be used against aircraft. Finally, the MG42 is very effective against landing troops, but not as effective against aircraft and useless against ships.

How the game works:
Hundreds of landing craft will spawn (not at once, 15-20 at a time) and attempt a landing on the beach, while ships further out at sea, but still in range of the player, will be shelling the player. Also, aircraft will swarm in in sorties and do bombing runs and strafing of the coast in preparation for the landing troops.

The player will be required to achieve certain tasks to advance to the next scenario. For instance, sink 15 landing craft, or shoot down 3 aircraft, or sink a certain ship.

I have some early screenshots of ships off-shore, but thats about it.

The picture below: Here we see 3 ships, 2 destroyers and a heavy cruiser. The destroyer on the right is badly damaged, on fire, and sinking. The cruiser is of course the larger ship towards the center.

The picture below: A landing craft blowing up! I know I need some more beach clutter, just haven't got it done yet.

The picture below: The cannon has 2 crewmembers, a commander and a gunner. This is the commander's view, who also has binoculars. Here we see many landing craft close to the beach, with a few large ships so far away they look like blobs!