Worklog for Axel Wheeler

Axel's Worklog

Return to Worklogs

Correction(Posted 2008-04-24)
I just noticed I put "32 x 32" as the size of the terrain in the gallery post:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/gallery/view_pic.php?id=1827&gallery=&page=1

It is actually 128 x 128. I don't know how to edit the gallery entries, but if someone knows how please let me know.

First entry(Posted 2008-04-18)
Ok, hello.

I live in Long Island, NY, USA and I've been programming in Blitz3d for a little over a year. My programming background consists of Commodore PET/64 Basic and later QBasic for DOS. I have tried to get into OOP at various times (Java, C#, VP.net) and generally got my butt kicked. Blitz3d has restored my interest in programming.

My interests include:

Simulations:

Evolution, celestical objects, space travel, etc.

AI:

Mostly the cognitive processes that would let a computer make rational natural-language statements.

The simulation of facial expressions is also fascinating.

Bot behavior is exciting as well. Chasing, avoiding, catching, searching, ignoring, etc.

Games:

I'll post a list of the programs I've been working on later, but for now I'll mention a couple.

I'm working on a Shufflepuck program that uses a tennis-like scoring system to intensify the pressure on the players at critical times. Shufflepuck is basically air hockey but with a square forward-facing paddle and the whole back area as the goal. High-pressure, high-power.

Also I started a space racing game in which the "spacecars" race around a 3D track in orbit around Earth. They follow Newtonian physics which makes it very hard to navigate. They can only go forward (or backward) or turn.

One strangely poorly implemented aspect of most sports simulation games is in the scoring. Real life competition is enhanced greatly by the "longitudinal" information such as a season championships, or single-round elimination tournaments with accurate seeding. Keeping track of the statistics of these contests would also motivate players to do well.

Well that's enough for now. Ciao!