Worklog for Scaremonger

Spawn

Return to Worklogs

Sample Screen shots(Posted 2008-01-04)

MODULES: ITS_Win32service.mod

Pre-Release V0.1.3(Posted 2008-01-04)
I've re-written the underlying game framework and implemented proper delta timing, Game object based screen layers, sound, improved background, enhanced radar, and even a beta joystick control.

Previously the game suffered a little in speed. I could only get 200 enemies onscreen before it slowed to a halt. Now (Even if I turn off delta timing) I can easily display 600+ enemies (Far more than i need). The new framework is so much better.

I've fixed problems in the breeding class and re-written whole sections of code to improve speed.

I learnt that something I have used for years is not the best approach. To perform wrapping previously I would use MOD. This is so much slower than using IF, so I've now stripped all that out.

Other improvements include the way the play area moves in relation to the players ship. I removed tonnes of code that simply became redundant... great eh?

In the beginning(Posted 2007-07-24)
Started writing this ages ago. Currently I have just implemented an in-game menu, and high score mechanism.

Here's the basis of the game...

You are fighting a deadly foe. Aliens that actually breed.

They reproduce using actual DNA, they Mutate, and can become lots of different and dangerous things. Some chase you, some run away. Some live to breed (They are the worse), and others... well... I don't want to spoil your fun...

I might release a version shortly, when I'm happy with it. It's not a full time project, so don't expect anything soon...