Microsoft's permission

Monkey Targets Forums/XNA/Microsoft's permission

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2014) [#1]
With other game engines, (Unity, Torque, Unreal, etc.) before you can publish an XBox title, you need to be authorized by Microsoft, which costs money. You will also need an SDK. Is this situation true with Monkey as well.

Also, my other question, for debuggiing, beta-testing purposes, is there a way to load files onto a Xbox system to see if the game works correctly.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#2]
Monkey isn't a game engine, it's a programming language. It translates Monkey code to C# using the .NET and XNA libraries. I don't think MS would require authorization for their own language and system...

To question 2, I would think, but I haven't done anything with XNA so I can't really say.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2014) [#3]
Ok, Ok, Monkey is a programming language rather than an engine.
The point I was making is that a developer cannot just write a game, load it onto an xbox360 system and have it run.

I've read that you would need a developer's licence agreement, an SDk, etc. etc.

But my real point is that before I publish a game to the public, I want to test to make sure that the game operates correctly on a XB system. Same woould go for the PS III and ouya.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#4]
Oh, you were talking about a dev license. Yeah, you probably need one to test anything on the system. That's how Apple is with the iWhatever and Sony is with their phones and the Vita.

Before you get into XNA market with MS though, you should probably read up on their minimum payout of $1000 which a lot of games won't make and so MS never has to pay them. It's a real screw you move from MS. That's why I never got involved with them.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#5]
Talk to RAZ, his game NINJAH was developed for the XBOX360 at first. And I am 100% sure that he has tested it on the device before publishing.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#6]
You may want to look at the XBox Live site, which seems to be more aimed at indie developers. $99 registration.
http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-us/home/membership

The main dev site I think is geared towards millionaires or publishers.

dragon(Posted 2014) [#7]
yep... as i see you pay $99 and have access to xbox (indie) + winphone7 markets

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2014) [#8]
Thanks AdamRedwoods and dragon.